Supra Forums banner

MOJO PERFORMANCE LQ9 /ls2 coil Install / review

220K views 710 replies 144 participants last post by  FRaCTioNaL 
#1 ·
I have a 2jz in my 95 s14 with a s366 ,1050 cc injectors ,haltech sp2000 .

Once I finished the swap I ran it at 15 psi no issues at all ! I started to up the boost towards 20-22psi and had some break up .. Gapped plugs to .22 and still same issue. So I bought a hks dli brand new !! still did nothing for me ...:( After finding out about mojo performance lq9 coil brackets and harness I said hell yes ..(had same coils on a 700 hp ka engine w/ no issues at all !) today I got my brackets wiring and hardware . Gave awesome instructions ,diagrams ,and more info than you need !! Rick owner of mojo performance is also a awesome guy and very knowledgeable !!

So after the install I took her back out and no issues at all !!! turned it up to 30 psi at a .30 gap and didn't miss a beat . These coils are amazing,and stock appearing !!!

very high quality craftsmanship on the harness and brackets which are laser cut

link for reference http://mojoperf.com/drupal/node

See less See more
#11 ·
I am ordering my set from Rick today and cannot wait to get them! I'll make a thread with pics when I get them, maybe a DIY. Rick is a great guy to work with, I urge you guys to pick up this kit!

#15 ·
$395. with used and tested coils, $525. with new coils. Prices are shipped to the continental US. The coils are converted to on-plug configuration with new boots and inner contact springs. The kit includes a set of laser cut/tig welded brackets and a wire harness. Installation is not pug and play, but there are only 9 wires to hook up. General installation instructions are included, and I can provide car-specific wire diagrams if requested.

#14 · (Edited)
Interesting .. In for more updates.
BTW, is this setup eliminating the OEM igniter?

#16 ·
I've been dealing with Rick for years, you guys should buy with confidence from him, he is a retired NASA electrical engineer.

Adam

#17 ·
These coils have internal igniters correct

#25 ·
Some preliminary results - I'm collecting scope pics of current displays for the different coils to compare, will do a detailed report and update here when I get time. I was sidetracked for a while by some used 1ZZ coils I had that were aftermarket units, not the Toyota pieces, and acted very weird on the test setup.
At dwell times (2.2 MS) that the stock EMS produces, the three coil systems ( LQ9, stock w/DLI, and 1ZZ) produce almost equal spark current. The stock and 1ZZs cannot use more dwell to increase power, while the LQ9s continue to be able to charge higher with dwell times set up to 5 milliseconds or so.

The DLI doesn't increase peak spark current, rather it gives a rapid rise time to the current waveform and fires a second time - interesting variation of the MSD technique.
The 1ZZs saturate at 2.5 MS but will continue to draw current as dwell increases, getting quite hot in the process.
Looking the sparks poduced over identical plug gaps with common dwell times, there is little visual differece in intensity between the 3 at low dwell times. I'l try to get a video of this.
With extended dwells provided by a standalone, the LQ9 provides at least 50% more spark power than the other two, and is equal or very slightly better at low dwell times.

Bottom line:
Performance wise, if running the stock ECU, any of these systems will give good performance. In terms of cost and durability, probably the 1ZZ or LQ9 is better. Out of several sets of used GTE coils I've bought, fully half have cracks developing on the underside. For ultimate performance, the LQ9 is the clear winner.

#26 ·
Awesome stuff!

So I take it the LQ9 harness just splices into the oem harness?

By the way, I have proEFI would this be any better/worse for these?

#28 ·
The Mojo LQ9 harness can splice into the OEM harness for standalone PNP installations or directly into the ECU harness. It is not plug and play , but is pretty simple to connect - 9 wires (6 if you're running waste spark instead of direct fire) , with included instructions. These coils work well with any ECU that will provide 5 -or-12 volt logic ignition outputs - including Proefi, Haltech, AEM.

#30 ·
speedtech, your pm's are full. I sent payment for the parts we discussed.

#31 · (Edited)
the brackets and bolts i ordered came in yesterday. they look sweet. and the brackets even have rubber on the underside so the metal doesnt wear a hole in the coils. might try to test fit them this weekend if i have time.

#32 ·
rick,
sounds like the GM `s are better than the toyo`s?
Rick has done a Turbo Miata for me that is quite impressive now that the Sup is history.You can count on his being very through with what you get from him.
Now to my set up as time permits ,seems you`re pretty busy ,glad to see that!
You might want to advise the Buick boys about these too.

#36 · (Edited)
Terry, The Toyo 1ZZs have pretty impressive spark power, but not the ultimate punch of the LQ9s. For your goals the 1ZZs are a good upgrade from stock, and, as we discussed, unlike the LQ9s, will fit on-plug on the Miata motor. I need to give you a call. BTW, thanks for the testimonial. Aw shucks.

The GN guys are beginning to get on the LQ9 bandwagon...But most of the Stage II guys are still running distributors. My Stage II motor is pretty much locked in to the Electromotive TEC3 (Which can't use coils with integral igniters) due to its being odd-fire. If I feel up to the task later on (if the Buick powered Z EVER gets done) I may swap the E-motive for a Megasquirt 3 and LQ9s.

#55 ·
Forgot what your configuration is --If you have a standalone it will have a tach output which should suffice. If you are on the stock GTE ECU and have simulated the IGF signal in order to run coils with integral igniters, one solution I know that has worked is to remove the wire from pin 1 of the igniter and connect it to pin 16 of the ECU.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.