Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like this shift knob and was wondering if the set screws on a good knob like this will hold without frequent tightening.

It's a Momo Anatomic Short leather knob that usually sells for around $40-45.

While we're at it, what does it take to install one of these in our MKIIIs? The stockers seem to be glued on.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I have the black leather raptor and I didn't even need the set screws, the rubber inserts do an awesome job of holding it on the lever. As for the e-brake... good luck, from what I understand those handles are model specific and if you don't have a VW or honda, forget about it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rubber inserts? Can you elaborate? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
You are in luck. I actaully own the short anatomical shifter.

The three screws WILL infact hold the shifter in pace out you need to tighten them down really well.

Also if you did the Sogi short shift mod.

the rubber insert is not tight enough to hold the shifter by itself. It has alot of play. So you do need to screw the sucker in :)

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
That E-brake is so SEXY I WANT THAT!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
figgie said:
You are in luck. I actaully own the short anatomical shifter.

The three screws WILL infact hold the shifter in pace out you need to tighten them down really well.

Thanks for the replies. Many of the cheap shiftknobs only have one set screw; I'm willing to pay double to have triple the number of set screws! :) Do you like yours?

Is yours fastened over the stock threads figgie? I plan to cut my shifter, weld it and sleeve it so I can maintain the factory threads. Call me weird, but I want the factory rubber isolator there.

·
helps you jump higher
945 Posts
I think you can buy a rubber thing from some toyota truck that will let you shorten it and keep the rubber.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
i had a tall superanitomico on mine, set screws worked perfectly, eventually i welded on threads from the top of the shifter so i could use my trd screw on knob though....btw, first 15 bucks takes my superanitomico. oh yeah and the stocker screws off, you just need to put some muscle into it.

adam

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Adam--if you can post pics and it includes everything including set screws, I'll take it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a Momo carbon cobra knob, it's 3 allen screws to attach it. It was a real bitch to get it to stay, and it vibrates sometimes and makes noise. I'm hoping to put some rubber of some sort in it around the stick, so it won't vibrate anymore. I don't really like it, but it came with the car when I got it, so I don't care...

L

·
0 Posts
lamer5 said:
I have a Momo carbon cobra knob, it's 3 allen screws to attach it. It was a real bitch to get it to stay, and it vibrates sometimes and makes noise. I'm hoping to put some rubber of some sort in it around the stick, so it won't vibrate anymore. I don't really like it, but it came with the car when I got it, so I don't care...
wrap that stick in electrical tape. worked for me :)

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
9,996 Posts
I made a rubber shim... and used the set screws with the kit, and really tightened them down...

BUT

The little bit of play caused the H to be kinda crooked. oh well.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
The first shift knob I had was the Anatomic and I found that my hand didn't fit too well on it. If I wanted to use the little spots on the knob for your fingers, I would have to move my arm in such a way that it would bump on the center console everytime so I just got rid of it.

I have the Air Race Leather or Race Air Leather now. It's just a ball with vented leather stictched around the center. It has worked flawlessly for several years now and I have not had to adjust the screws once. If you get the screws set and down there good the first time, you won't ever have to worry about it again.

·
Registered
945 Posts
When you pick it up, ask the shop for a set of the rubber inserts (mine threw in 4-5 of them and some extra screws), or take the car with you to try a few. They come in various sizes for different shifters. I just put one on the other day, and the 3 set screws, along with a snug rubber, will keep it still. The rubber is tight enough on it's own, and the set screws should just add that extra security.

Bob

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
drjonez said:
running the short anatomico on both my cars, one on a SOGI short shifter and one on a cut C's. both work fine and the set screws hold them in place. pix on my site.
Consider it ordered...

Thanks for the replies.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,080 Posts
The vibration from the SOGI shift mod can be fixed by ordering the Green Shifter Bushings from the Toyota Pickup.

I've never found that the set screws hold good enough. I marked where I wanted the knob, then drilled a hole through the plastic spacer and into the shifter rod. I got a longer set screw and now it screws into the rod.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts