Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys,

i'm planning on doing some audio/visual upgrades on the supra tt before any other mods. i figured BPU is plenty fast enough for now :)
i wanted a tv/nav system/dvd/cd system. i heard kenwood is the best unit now?? if anyone can point me out to the right direction...? thomas kenyon, i can use your expertese here please!
what all would i need to have a system similar to what im looking for? and how much would it cost around?
thanx for any feedback/info/reply, in advance!

jason

ps- thomas, the custom indash set up you have posted in the other thread, is that your car? if so, do you sell a set up like that we can purchase? are all those gauges 60mm peak holds?
it does look amazing.... :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i heard kenwood k910 or something is the top of the line and a great unit? it's touch screen and has a dvd/cd player built in as well as a tv tuner? that would be perfect because someone has one used for sale for around $1750. claims it's priced at $2400 retail?? is this a good deal?
also how reliable is it to buy used stereo equipments?

·
651 Posts
Yep, I agree.... the Kenwood KVT910DVD is flat awesome.

A price of $1750 for a used model is a more than fair price.

Currently, all the extra "stuff" is currently available for the 910DVD. Navigation is shipping along with the 5.1 processor. They have even made the Navigation able to give the user a "3-D look".

Navigation is touch screen controlled also.

About the only downside to using the 910DVD is the Supra's double DIN hole.

I wouldn't feel comfortable just sticking a pocket under the unit. I have thought about the possibility of maybe installing a center channel in the extra DIN that will remain but have not tried it yet.

Other possibilities would be gauges. boost controllers, turbo timer ect.

I think I would do a center channel there.

If I had to do it all over again, I would be using the Kenwood 910 instead of the Alpine gear. Bottom line.... get the Kenwood!!

As far as the dash on the previous thread... that car is owned by my installation manager Mike Swientek. For a fee he can just about do anything you will need for a Supra. Everything from what you saw on the previous thread to stroker motors, fuel systems, leather work, hand fabricated throttle bodies, hand built built roll cages......WHATEVER!

I have seen many, many Supras from all over the country and I still believe that his is the finest one in the entire country.

Anyone who has seen it up close is sure to agree.

Thomas Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi thomas, thanx for giving me detailed feedback!! questions now: what are double DIN holes? i'm not sure exactly what that means (not good with stereo products/lingo sorry). :)
the nav and 5.1 processor is shipping? what does that mean? it's separate and if so are they a lot more?
i hear the new kenwood is the best set up.. thanx for backing that... it'll only be towards the driver so its not too fair but maybe i can add other screen on later :p
have you installed any of these units on supras? if so, do u have any pix?
also thanx for the info on the dash gauges~ yeah they look amazing... where is mike from? i think it's a unique look to have the gauges there and not in A- pillar.. also he still has the A/C vents which is cooL!

thanx again thomas

jason

ps- the seller said it is a brand new unit so i guess that'd make it a better deal..? :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you mentioned making it a center channel, what is that? i have the boost controller and timer already flush mounted on the left side of the dash...
would this GAP hinder my ability to get the kenwood by much or can i work around it? what is the 'pocket' you were talking about?
anything else i can add in there? an MP3 player maybe or any other stereo equip, i don't know how a boost gauge would fit down there but maybe it can...?
thanx again~!

·
Registered
658 Posts
a double din means that the CD player or what not is the size of 2 cd players put together...the cd player in a supra is double DIN...takes up 2 slots. So if you put the kvt910dvd in place of the stock cd player you would still have 1/2 the room left, because the kvt910dvd is 1 din and the stock CD player is 2 dins....do ya get the jiff? :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah yes yes thank you mystic :) what is a center channel though? how about an mp3 player? i bet that'd be a cool feature. or anything else that you can put in the other opened half that would be cooL? thanx

·
Registered
658 Posts
many companies offer mp3 players...i wouldn't recommend like a neomp3 player or anything along that line with a HD and you put mp3s on it and then connect to your headunit (cd player)...get a cd player that supports mp3s, such as the kenwood z929, or the jvc sh99, those are a couple cd players that support mp3s. The kvt910dvd doesn't play mp3s, so you could also get another cd player to hook up mp3s or you could get a neomp3 player but it won't sound as good as a cd player that supports mp3s.

A center channel is so when you have like DTS 5.1. You get the full surround sound system...you know, when you have a home theater you have 2 front speakers, 2 rears and a center channel? Thats the same thing you would have in your car if you had a center channel....then you'd hook up your subs and have a full surround sound system!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts