Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok , i made a list of what i want to do to my supra. i need some help with it though. look down below at my list (download it) and check back here. thanks.

now then, if you nice folks with this stuff already can review my list and give me comments on it, i would greatly appreciate it. also, the bottom "unsure of" list is where i need help, i have NO idea what to do about them, ie: what gauge seris should i get, what boost ocnroller, etc. and the ems thing, i see HPF has a mk3 ems thing, can i use that, what all does it do? im not good with electronics as you can see. what fans for the pwr radiator? and piston size, i have listed above .20 over, will that require any over boring of the block? im a total newb. also, the toyota oil pump, are there any better? and what can i do to strengthen the manual tranny?ill search after this post. will that ignition system work? can someone just kinda check over and make sure the intake/turbo/ intercooler will all work together, like.. im getting the blow off valve with the pipe, if i get the intake/intercooler, etc, are they going o already replace this pipe so i shouldnt get the pipe ssqv kit? thanks a LOT for your time. i really appreciate it. and i dont wanna hear no one telling me that i dont need a 500hp car. cuz i do. and another thing, did anyone notice that on the HPF website, they have a few greddy turbo kits ie : the t78 i picked out? what included in that should i take off my list? i cant thank you people enough even if you just read my post.

·
Mk3-Mk45-Passport-Eagle
570 Posts
uhhh nice list but can we say about 15 grand???? make sure u send santa clause the list 2 :) it will be a beast tho....

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ummm, you are gonna run that through an auto????
you might be better off doing a 5spd swap

you might also be interested in saving some money by getting the horsepower kits from horsepowerfreaks

but it is very organized, i wish i had the effort to do that

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, yea , i got to thinking. im not gonna get a mkiv supra any time soon, and insurance would KILL me. so next best thing. mkIII supra. i just need to find a decent one, and start. i looked at the hp kits, but they include some stuff i dont want. ie: fluidyne radiator, etc. ive done my homework and the pwr is bigger. thing about the trannies is this, in a recent post i read that the manual is weaker than the auto. BUT i want to be able to actually USE the t-78 and have it spool way up in the 5000rpm range ya know? another thing. does anyone know if that greddy turbo kit will bolt to the defcon down pipe? also, whats the record for most hp on a mkIII? i know the 7mpower one has some 730hp but any unlisted ones have more? and not from a 1/2jz swap, im talking straight up 7mgte power.

in the end i figure with these mods, i can have a reliable 5-600hp and if need be, ill get a tranny that works. and driveshafts, etc.

·
...make that none again
1,932 Posts
You don't need anything close to the size of a megalag t-78 to make 500hp, but you will need injectors bigger than 550cc for that turbo. I'd do more research into what you're buying before you do. Calling an ems a "thingy" and not knowing what it does shows you need more education on what you're getting into. More than likely if you don't know what it does, you don't need it or you shouldn't be using it. Take it slow with your mods, one at a time. You race other cars, not the time it takes to complete your own. Just my $0.02.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Last time I checked a T78 doesn't have a CT26 turbine outlet flange on it so, no the defcon downpipe isn't going to work. :(

·
Registered
590 Posts
Will the 7m even sppol a T78? You need to do alot more research on your parts. Your looking at alot of time and even more money. I think this is a phase eeryone goes through. I myself made a list of everything that I want to put on my car. I think it came out to around $12k. Ive got the next year to work, but my car probably wont see half of what I want to do with it. I would rethink my list, unless you want to achieve the highest hp MK3 in the world. If your just looking for around 500hp, you can cut back alot on your list. Alot of the parts you have are just overkill. Goodluck though.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
punkybooster89t said:
You don't need anything close to the size of a megalag t-78 to make 500hp, but you will need injectors bigger than 550cc for that turbo. I'd do more research into what you're buying before you do. Calling an ems a "thingy" and not knowing what it does shows you need more education on what you're getting into. More than likely if you don't know what it does, you don't need it or you shouldn't be using it. Take it slow with your mods, one at a time. You race other cars, not the time it takes to complete your own. Just my $0.02.
:agreed:

And dude, bigger does not mean better when it comes to turbos on cars

·
Do You Even HKS, Bro?!?
1,493 Posts
There's a few people with 7m's running T-78's. IT's really not that big.... Will's got a T-66, I'm unsure of the over specs and isn't a t-78 a 68mm or so compressor wheel??? Once again, I'm not sure on the exhaust housing or specs.

IMO, something between a T-61 and a T-66 with the right exhaust housing would work really well depending on goals, etc.

·
Registered
948 Posts
if you wanna be fast in the 1/4 mile... a most 400 hp ct26 upgrade cars are smoking the big turbo guys around 500 hp, so keep that in mind, but research it, there are drawbacks to the ct26 upgrade

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
honestly i just want a highway beast. so i assume i should go for the t-88H mkIII turbo kit, but i also want SOME lower end stuff : so i chose the t-78 kit, also as i said lastnight but my post is gone : the t-78 kit includes a downpipe so i guess i dont need the defcon pipe anyways. and about the overkill thing, id like a kinda reliable engine. so anyways, i guess im looking for a t-66 turbo? i guess ill look into the SP kits.

·
Do You Even HKS, Bro?!?
1,493 Posts
A t-78 will work, Like I said, there's not that much difference in compressor size as far as I know between that and a t-66. I can't even specualate on the exhaust housing though which would mak,e a good difference.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i remember when i used to stay up all night and create a wish list. oh the days, but reality would set in real quick when rent & bills would come. damn.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
i see you are in lexington- maybe we could meet up sometime.
good list but could def stand some adjustments.

dave

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well thats what i posted for, show me what "you" would do. ie: not the t-78 etc. ok so lets see, imho i want the biggest turbo i can find. i want to run the highest boost possible, and make the most hp so i can have a killer highway beast. i got to thinking in school today, how do turbos compare?

ie: they can all push 15psi right? but the only diff between them is the size, and the smaller size = spool faster but, in the end cant put out as much psi correct? so therefore as long as its pushing X# of psi on any turbo it will still make the same hp, but spool times is all that differs / max boost available.

·
Redneck
283 Posts
no its not about PSI its bout how much CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) the bigger turbo pushes more air . I belive correct me if im wrong.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you sure you dont want to start a little slower with a midly modded or stock car and work up from there, thats what most of us do.

this stuff is going end up costing you more than $20K, especially if you dont do the work yourself. Plus you want some money saved incase something breaks

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea, theres no way in hell it will happen all at once. and yes id like to do it all myself. its just like r/c cars, if you BUILD IT, you can fix it. anyways, id like to BUild the engine first, ie: rods, pistons etc. fix the brakes, get the car painted, then boom. all out power from then on.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if you are only looking for like 400-500 hp, the stock rods and pistins should be fine, maybe you should upgrade them when you get to the point where you want to make more than 500 hp

also, you might change your mind down the road and you might only want 400 hp

·
Registered
169 Posts
If your goal is only around 400hp, I would recomend just upgrading the ct-26. Thats what I'm planning on doing, whenever I finish my swap. You could always upgrade the turbo later, but with the upgraded ct-26 and supporting mods (exhaust, lex afm, 550s, ect) you could be running low 12s, and that should be enough for some fun highway driving, although I prefer the track. Just my $0.02

-Nick

1 - 20 of 36 Posts