Supra Forums banner

Montana Supra Members check in here !

21K views 55 replies 20 participants last post by  Miss.Supra 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey, I just wanted to post this because I'm a little curious to know if there's another supraforum member that's from Montana. Let me know, I'm always down to cruise!

#12 ·
Hey, to tell you the truth there wasn't much activity on this thread so I quit checking lol. But anyhow I've head of a black mkiv rolling around gfalls lately? anyone on here's? Also sorry i didnt relpy to you guys who have posted, are you still around the state somewhere?

#15 ·
6 spd, targa, black, just got done bolting up a single turbo setup. now I'm running a 60-1 single, aem v2, tein suspension, but other than that it's all original and stock. It's got a pretty modest pump-gas tune on it and is putting down about 400 to the wheels, which is enough for me for the time being. I'm just trying to restore it and get the thing looking showroom quality now though. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding a garage in Missoula to store it for the winter so I can work on it, but I'll get it figured out. How bout you man? I'm interested in what you're running, I always turn green with envy when I hear about a hardtop supra... and jdm too? how'd you manage that?

#17 · (Edited)
Well I got pretty lucky to come across it. I was cruising around town and pretty much shit my pants when I saw a supra sitting at a rundown dealership by our base. I pulled in to find that it was actually a rhd, hardtop, 6spd, TT. Turns out that the guy was selling it on consignment for an importing company? But i have no idea why they decided to have it sold at a relatively shitty dealership when they could have just parked it anywhere and sold it pretty much instantly. But nontheless I ended up getting it. I almost didn't get it due to the fact that there wasn't a clear title for it when I was first interested. Luckily I ended up finding a lady who worked at the MT DMV and she pulled some strings to get it legally titled and registered. But for mods im running a pretty basic BPU setup. I have a hardpipe HKS intake pipe with a 4' HKS filter, HKS black series SSQV BOV, Greddy trust boost gauge in bars, and a sequential turbo switch. For wheels it's sitting on the BBS that I bought it with (I have no idea what type to tell you the truth, but theyre 18's and wrapped in 275 Nitto Invos on the rear). For my exhaust I have a 1st cat delete due to the fact that something with the jdm ceramics doesn't allow for a standard downpipe to be used. I'm in the process of getting a straight through midpipe. To finish the exhaust off I have a TRD Gen 1 catback. I'm probably forgetting some stuff but that's the just of it at least. I have some cosmetics too, a carbon fiber radiator cooling plate and a Top Secret GT300 steering wheel. I'd love to meet up sometime and catch a ride with you too, I'm planning on going single sometime in the near future but it's just a matter of getting some finances together for the build.

Heres a pic to give you an idea:

iv been to missoula a few times, not much of a import car scene their, im actually impressed to hear about a supra their, the only import sports car iv seen their was a lotus and a nsx
Yea dude to tell you the truth thats pretty much how it is here in Montana. I mean we're not the horse riding, tobacco spitting people that most of the United States think we are, but the car scene here is pretty much as close to nonexistant as it gets. Of course there are exceptions but as a whole it sucks..

#19 ·
Yeah man we'll have to meet up and take a cruise sometime soon for sure. That's the closest thing I've heard to a Cinderella story about a Supra. I actually finally managed to find a garage right next to my house where I can store and work on it, so the fun will begin once I download my map onto my computer. We should try to meet up before the snow falls and our cars become less than safe on the road.
The story of how I got my Supra is much less enthralling. I basically had been watching ebay for years, finally found one that was reasonably priced, spoke with the lister several times, and got out-bid for it in the last 20 seconds. At the time I was going to school in Philly, and the car happened to be right next to my school. Towards the end of the summer the guy who beat me in the auction supposedly started giving the seller the run around with how he was going to pay for it, so he pulled out of the deal and sold it to me privately. I've owned it since '06, and I've loved every minute of it. So happy to finally have it near me in a garage where I can give it the TLC it deserves.

@alfamafia, I actually just met some guys today that run a sort of car club type thing, all imports, and they seem pretty legit. They've got a track in town they use to drift and whatnot. I was kinda surprised to find it here too, but there's clearly a bigger car scene than I was originally expecting. But unfortunately, MT in general doesn't have a very big import scene, unless you're driving a WRX, in which case it seems like you could find a subie club in every town in the state

#22 ·
Sorry for the slow response, but that's good to hear you figured out the storage situation. I have mine stored in a mini storage facility somewhat across town but it works, 24 hour gate access even though it closes for the regular storage customers around 8. But I'm sure you've had the snow hit hard this last week in missoula as great falls has just been getting covered - snow sucks lol, its torture to put her away for so long! So what are your plans over the winter? I have to change my timing belt, waterpump, tensioner, and I'm getting the billet bracket for the tensioner as well around spring time. I have never done a belt though, have you? It'd be cool to meet up or something and work on it together if you have a pretty good idea\experience with the change?

#24 ·
Hey sorry it took so long to post again, been dealing with a whole mess of problems.

I have next to no experience working on Supra's unfortunately. In fact my mechanic experience is limited to one year spent working in a quicklane at a ford dealership, and the only tools I have are a sort of Mac starter set of wrenches, ratchets, sockets and extensions, but nothing specific enough to do anything serious. I just read a lot of write ups and plan on learning slowly. It kills I cant drive her again till we get a serious thaw

As far as plans for this winter go I'm going to start with a lot of basic cosmetic/maintenance stuff. My plan is to do a compression check, pull the ABS, clean the headlights (horrible yellow fog), rear seat delete, replace blown speakers and head unit, paint brake calipers and replace rotors/pads, replace radiator, and a few other small things like painting my intercooler so it wont stand out quite so much. Also I'm gonna replace my current carbon fiber front lip with the stock one and paint my currently black wheels to "aluminum". I'm trying to bring it back to a more stock, less shouty look, the black/black is nice, but too showy. Then, depending on finances, I'm going to start tooling with the fuel system, because I'm a little disappointed in my 415 to the wheels with a 60-1 and standalone ecu. However I wouldn't mind taking a look at the timing belt replacement, if only to provide another set of eyes. I'm always looking for more hands on experience.. and it could be helpful to have another person there. You just planning on following a writeup for that?

#25 · (Edited)
^ No worries, I know how it goes.

Your tool collection sounds like mine lol. Every project I take on I find myself having to go out and buy new tools just in order to complete the job, but that's alright. The problem is that quality tools are just so damn expensive these days, between decent tools that last for a while and parts, cars turn into a damn expensive hobby.

As far as the belt replacement my plans are definately to follow a writeup to an extent. I mean it's a rather nerve racking project to take on looking at the computer screen, but I feel like once the parts start coming off it will be pretty straight forward. I mean there are guys on here that claim it's relatively easy so it can't be that bad? Between me and a couple buddies that are pretty mechanically inclined I'm sure it will go pretty smooth. But you'd be more than welcome to check it out if it happened at a time where you had some free time.

It'd be cool to meet up for sure though. I mean I'm pretty new to standalone style tuning and single's in general. I'd like to look at your setup, check out how you're monitoring everything, and just get a better idea all together. My plans are eventually go single too, but between work and school the finances are a little tight these days. I'm just starting out with basic BPU+ and working up from there. I really have no extreme hurry to put down a lot of power, so I just look through the parts section to pick up parts that stand out to me. I guess that makes me a sucker for rare parts, but the perfomance aspects will always be around, a while oldschool JDM parts will not. So that's really where I am with my build.

As far as what I plan to do over the winter, it's actually pretty similar to your plans as well. I just bought a new mishimoto radiator and billet tensioner bracket for the belt swap. Gears, electric waterpump, tensioner, and thermostat are next on the agenda for parts. I'd love to get some cross drilled/slotted rotors and some nice new pads for the brakes. Of course I'd take off the calipers are respray them black and add some Supra logos to finish that off. My intercooler doesn't stand out too bad as is right now as I have a black mesh screen behind the opening in the bumper so it gives it a more hidden look, but I think a black coating would look better too. I need to get my SSQV mounted on the cold side of the piping, sort of by my relocated greddy P/S cooler lines. That will look pretty badass I think. Also I have a lot of interior things to do as well. I need to get my damn boost gauge in and install the sequential switch. My car doesn't have a headunit currently so I'm either looking into an OEM or nice kenwood or alpine double din touchscreen. It's just that they're so damn expensive so it's hard to bring myself to blow a grand on something that will only look nice. Music isn't that big of a deal to me lol.

Anyhow I'd love to just see a few pics of your supra and especially when this damn snow goes away (even though we have a while before that happens) id like to meet up and check out your setup vs mine and learn more about singles and feel a supra with some degree of real power. Maybe if you have a few shitty phone pics even that would be cool, feel free to PM me for my cell or something?

#26 ·
I know the black supra you're talking about. I think it has some sort of green in the paint when the light hits it just right. The plates say something about hks tt, or something with TT in it. I've seen it on base a few times, and I want to talk to him and get a ride in it pretty bad.

But, if you're down to meet up some time, I'm part of the subaru crew that runs around Great Falls. I'd love to get a ride in your supra, I've wanted one for a while now, always envious of people driving them.

Let me know if you're interested. Shoot me a PM with your phone number and I'll give you a call next time we all meet up.

#27 ·
Yeah that sounds like the one. I've gotten all sorts of texts and calls from my friends saying they spotted another supra :O lol, some said it was black, and some said it was dark green. I've always wondered if they were talking about two different ones or what, but you've confirmed it as one for sure.

And yeah that'd be awesome, I'd be more than happy to give you a ride. With this damn montana weather she's stored away safely and has no insurance or anything right now because I really don't plan on taking it out until early spring time or sometime around then.

But yeah check your PM's because I'll PM you my number and we can go from there. You and your subie people probably meet up during the winter and everything because hell if I had an STI, winter would be the funnest time of the year :) lol. Even if I can't bring the Supra out I'd still really appreciate a text or phonecall saying your meeting up just to ride around and meet some new people. Anyhow, let me know!

#28 ·
I'll be sure to hit you up man. Surprisingly, we don't really meet up during the winter. And if we do, it is really just on the whim.

And yes, I have an STI, an 06, White with gold rims. Couldn't justify buying a supra in Montana, plus, for SCCA, I feel like the STI can be a faster car than the Supra. Straight line though... I'll see you at the next highway exit...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.