Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Evil Shenanigans
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys spend monthly/yearly on your Supras? This includes everything, gas, insurance, tires, maintenance, etc... Anything you spend on the Supra. Thanks for your input. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm gonna spend and their reliability.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Most of the money spent will be on gadgets and things (rice) that you dont really need... As for regular maintanance is like any other car give or take a few hundreds

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
On a stock MKIV, you'll probably spend around 1K up front to get the car running perfect (depending on how well the previous owner looked after it)

Then, it depends on how often and how hard you drive the car. If you are a lead foot, be prepared to spend lots of money on tires, gas, clutch and brakes replacements. For a stock car, it's now so bad, but for a BPU car and beyond, it can become quite pricey.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this car for someone on a budget. Although it's probably less expensive than say an RX7, it's still a Supra and thus you can expect to pay Supra prices for everything. And if you start modding the car, be prepared to take out a second/third/fourth morgage.

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
thefrush said:
What do you guys spend monthly/yearly on your Supras? This includes everything, gas, insurance, tires, maintenance, etc... Anything you spend on the Supra. Thanks for your input. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm gonna spend and their reliability.
Reliability is great.
If you can avoid (actually postpone) the upgrade bug for a while, parts and maintenance are not that much.

HOWEVER................................

If you are young (<25), take several Valium and several deep breaths before you ask about insurance rates. That will likely be your biggest expense, and it varies greatly.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Daily driver right here, and then some. $100 on gas a month. This applies to any other car, driver, and what it's used for so it varies depending on the situation. I don't know what the hell you're going to do once you find out your answers.

·
Asian Sensation
1,209 Posts
price gets up there. specially when it comes time for maintence, for example timing belt. I did the cam gears, cause no point in putting stock back in. Same with the fluidyne which by far is the best buy since im in Arizona. Water pump and all that bullshit. Having a good friends who know supras well helps out. Friend at Toyota helps out on parts aswell :) Tires, one of my best friends works at discount tire corporate. So that works out even better. Certs are your friend.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
insurance, tires, parts (clutch, brakes, this, that), finding competent mechanic (it takes a few), tickets?, haters screwing w/ your car when it's parked at the movie theater, mods, rebuilds, lots of gas...

if you're young, multiply everything by 1.5 b/c you won't have the restraint to keep your costs down (i was 23 w/ a brand new 98, i know..)

if you do your own work, it's more reasonable... if you go BPU, it's a lot less reasonable...

i've bought my car new in 98 for about $48k... in the past 5 years, i've probably averaged $5-10k/year including a rebuild over the past 3 months.

S

·
0 Posts
Well, I spent $6000.00 new paint, 15,000 for the new turbo setup...so

that is for one year !

·
Evil Shenanigans
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:eek: :wtf: :cry: :doh: :( Jeez, that's a lot of money! Mr TT - 5 grand a month! Holy smokes! Also, BPU affects monthly costs significantly? Well, I guess I might have to wait a little bit for that then. Not to mention, I'm 16, looking forward to those $350 a month insurance! :rolleyes: Oh well, I probably don't even need to ask: Is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
thefrush said:
let me guess... gonna pay it for all by yourself with no help from your parents what-so-ever? if so... keep dreaming. if your parents are buying you the car... why are you worried about all that stuff? theyll probably pay for all of that also. :)

1 - 20 of 101 Posts