Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, looking to replace up front upper control arms soon along with all of the suspension bushings. I wanted to do all figs arms but after really thinking about it I'm leaning towards OE. My goal was to always put reliability first so I try to stay away from any aftermarket parts when possible. So with that said I decided to stick with stock arms but it seems like the Toyota arms are disc, which means I would have to go with MOOG.
Now I've used their products before on my dailys but when it comes to the Supra I'm a little hesitant.
Does anyone have experience with these? They're under $60/ea on rockauto.
I know there was a guy a while back trying to figure out a way to replace the ball joint, did that ever get anywhere? The balljoint is my main concern as my car has about 220k on it.

Thank you

·
From the land down under
3,877 Posts
I looked into several options, including aftermarket clones of the OEM items, but any reviews I found about the brands in question seemed to suggest that the bushes were softer/weaker, and tear far sooner, which isnt a huge problem as you can always fit new bushes, given there are plenty on sale for our cars, but it was the reported weak ball joints that swayed my decision to not bother with the cheaper copies. Some were reporting having slop in the joint within 10k miles :(

I bought a complete set of factory arms last year, before they are no longer available. They can sit in a box in my spare room until I get around to restoring the whole suspension one day

·
Boost Junkie
12,455 Posts
You can order them and replace the bushings with SuperPro.

Steve

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,449 Posts
Just as an option, but if you go with MOOG you can order their bushings through Home Depot. In my search, HD has the best prices and no shipping since you can pick it up in store.
Example.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. No matter if I got OE or MOOG I would be doing Poly bushings so I'm not worried about that, my concern is the arm itself and the ball joint.
At this point I feel like I'm trying to convince myself to not get Moog but seems like there really is no other option.
My current ball joints have no slop in them at all but it's the age, mileage, and other failures I've see that worry me.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,449 Posts
MOOG is good quality and they are a pretty respected standard in the American classic car restoration world. With that being said, I think you'll be fine and satisfied.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Just as an option, but if you go with MOOG you can order their bushings through Home Depot. In my search, HD has the best prices and no shipping since you can pick it up in store.
I had to stare at your post for a moment, then click the link to verify that I wasn't hallucinating. I've had my Supra IN Home Depot, but I can't say I've ever shopped for parts for it there, that's a new one!

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,449 Posts
I had to stare at your post for a moment, then click the link to verify that I wasn't hallucinating. I've had my Supra IN Home Depot, but I can't say I've ever shopped for parts for it there, that's a new one!
Just plug in the MOOG PN on the HD site and voilà . A80 steering tie rod.
MOOG Chassis Products Steering Tie Rod End-ES3561 - The Home Depot
A80 stabilizer bar link
Admittedly, the control arm and ball joint assembly for the A80 aren't on the HD site, but I'm sure a phone call to HD can get them in your hands in a few days.

What MOOG has for the A80.

A70 ball joint.

Lamdarossa made an impact!

I kinda' miss that car....I kinda want to own it. lol.

I just had the thought that one could rebuild their Supra suspension at Home Depot. lol!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I kinda' miss that car....I kinda want to own it. lol.

I just had the thought that one could rebuild their Supra suspension at Home Depot. lol!
I remember the name, but the car escapes my memory, or perhaps my memory deleted the image files haha. Side strakes come to mind for some reason.

And honestly, if you had to be stuck in a building to service your car, you could certainly do worse than HD. I worked there for about 5 years give or take. :p

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Whattt??? Home Depot ? Car products ?

This is new to me
Well, you can do a lot of wiring in a pinch... and I suppose you could fabricate piping for intercooler, intake, exhaust as well. They have all the tools you'd need, metal for fabricating, welders and supplies, hardware, etc.

Plus, I can't speak for all stores, but ours has had an automotive section shortly after it opened in 2005. I don't think it sold much though, so it got phased out for a while. Now though, they've put a pretty decent focus on it. I didn't even know you could buy gallon jugs of PB Blaster until I saw them in HD!

All in all, not a terrible place to shop for generic supplies and tools, at least where I live.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,449 Posts
I remember the name, but the car escapes my memory, or perhaps my memory deleted the image files haha. Side strakes come to mind for some reason.
I want this car just for the internet historic obloquy it has/had. Big single, cammed 2j vvti swap and layeth the waste while I revel in the ironic humor that is the Lamarossa Supra.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I want this car just for the internet historic obloquy it has/had. Big single, cammed 2j vvti swap and layeth the waste while I revel in the ironic humor that is the Lamarossa Supra.
Ahh, it's coming back to me again. Wonder what that dude's up to these days? Say what you will about the end result, the passion is evident. Reminds me of the cars that I began to notice roaming around Phoenix in the early 2000's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts