Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking around for info on coilovers for my brother's car, I came across a couple posts saying that the front suspension of the 3rd gen is the same as the 4th gen. They also mentioned a difference in the rear not allowing us to use mk4 coilovers all around. I'm just wondering what's really the difference. I know the lower mount style is different, but is there anything else? My brother measured the shocks on his car yesterday and got about 22 inches for each, front and rear. I have another friend who's supposed to be getting back to me on the length of the mk4 shocks.

If the rear shocks for the 4th gen and the 3rd gen are the same length, would it be possible to use mk4 rear on the mk3 with a different lower mount? I figure a small difference in stock shock length won't be an issue with coilovers. Is there something else I'm missing? The hard part is, I don't have either cars at my disposal to mess around with and take measurements, I'm just basing all these ideas off theory. Are there any other ways this could be accomplished? I mean I'm looking for the simplest, most effective way to do this.

Tim

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
no way you'll use the rear MKIV struts, totally different mounting method. there are a plethora of coilovers for the MKIII, just pony up!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying even with a different lower mount, the shocks won't fit? I thought the upper mounts were the same, if they aren't, that could be changed too. I figure if they're the same length they could be made to work and work well.

What about getting 2 pairs of front mkiv coilovers? Damping and spring rate stuff ignored, would that work? The reason I'm asking about this is becuase I can get hooked up on a set of coilovers but they don't have an mk3 application. They do have mkiv coilovers though and should be pretty flexible with special ordering different mounts.

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
mkiv rears have the bushing on the car vs the mkiii whihc has it on the strut.

Ive used mkiv fronts, and sc400 fronts on mine, they worked fine. I was considering getting fronts on the rear but decided against it as the spring rates are nowhere near ideal, and the dampner travel was too little.

In the end i just bought mkiii coilovers, theres so many, dont waste your time, just pick up a nice set.

Ang

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
I agree!^

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SuprAng said:
mkiv rears have the bushing on the car vs the mkiii whihc has it on the strut.

Ive used mkiv fronts, and sc400 fronts on mine, they worked fine. I was considering getting fronts on the rear but decided against it as the spring rates are nowhere near ideal, and the dampner travel was too little.

In the end i just bought mkiii coilovers, theres so many, dont waste your time, just pick up a nice set.

Ang
So basically, if I got mkiv coilovers with the rear upper and lower mounts changed to match the front, but the shock and spring was the same as would be in the back of an mkiv it would work? Or should I try and order 2 pairs of fronts with the spring rates changed and the valving matched to those rates? Sorry if I'm nitpicking, I just want to be completely clear on everything.

And, I think I mentioned it earlier, but I have a hookup that should be able to do this for me for a substantially lower price than if I were to buy mk3 coilovers. So the extra work is worth it to me for the money my brother and I would be saving. I mean ideally, I would like to pick up a real nice set of coilovers designed for the mk3 but the budget is a little too tight to do this.

Tim

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ma71supraturbo said:
Why are you trying to force a square peg in a round hole when it isn't necessary? Do you have a set of mkiv coilovers onhand?
It's not that I have the coilovers already, I just can get a great deal on them but they're only available for the mkiv. I don't understand why everyone seems so against this idea. I mean all I want to do is take mkiv coilovers and change the upper and lower mounts on the rear so they will fit on an mk3. That's why I want to know if the front mkiv shock will bolt up to the rear of an mk3. I would try this myself if the cars weren't 500 miles away but right now I'm out of luck. Basically, if I can get this work there might be another coilover "kit" for the mk3 on the market.

·
Registered
280 Posts
They would have to be pretty inexpensive to make all your trouble worth it!
How much can you get them for?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
alright dont quote me on this but im pretty sure all you have to change is the rear lower mount. Your best bet is to hack the mkiv ones off and weld the mkiii ones on with the bushing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SuprAng said:
alright dont quote me on this but im pretty sure all you have to change is the rear lower mount. Your best bet is to hack the mkiv ones off and weld the mkiii ones on with the bushing.

Good luck.
Thanks, that's all I really needed to know. But I'm probably not going to do any hacking and welding, I should be able to just get the mk3 lower mount seperate and just thread it on the shock.

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Why waste your time with a shock that isnt even balanced ( valved ) for the weight of the car?

Buy some name brand, reputable shocks and be done with it.
The friggen Tein SS dampers are cheap and very nice.....less than $1000 too...

dont tell yourself you are going to find some super deal on a kit.....just get in the mindset that your going to have to save some pennies...but its worth it in the end.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
simann said:
Why waste your time with a shock that isnt even balanced ( valved ) for the weight of the car?

Buy some name brand, reputable shocks and be done with it.
The friggen Tein SS dampers are cheap and very nice.....less than $1000 too...

dont tell yourself you are going to find some super deal on a kit.....just get in the mindset that your going to have to save some pennies...but its worth it in the end.

-Jonathan
At this point a set of mk3 coilovers won't be valved for the weight of the car. The shock is usually valved to match the spring rate that comes with it. And the spring rates I would be running would be 15/9.

All of you guys need to understand what a coilover kit consists of. You get the upper and lower mounts to attach it to the car. You get a shock and a spring. It's not that complicated. How do you know that the shocks you get from tein or any other company are valved exactly for your application. They probably aren't, they're probably valved for a range of spring rates and that's part of why they're adjustable, do you can dial it in to match better. I think with tein you get go up or down in spring rate 2kg/mm without affecting the performance or life of the shock. By the way, the SS's seem like a good deal until you want the upper mounts to go with them, then you're spending $300some more.

I am going to be getting a good deal on this stuff and as long as my assumptions are right, it will work.

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
I just want to say i did get a good deal on my coilovers...straigt from Japan..

$500 shipped with a set of JIC 'A' arms....TEIN HA coilvoers...heheheheheh

good things happen to good people yo :hug:

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
hah, i sold them a 6 months ago :stickpoke

1 - 19 of 19 Posts