Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you might remember that a few years ago I used to make a lot of HID projector retrofit kits for MKIVs. Other priorities have come and gone since then and while I’ve been out of the game my kits, in particular the RX350 design, have been duplicated by others.

Recently, several members reached out to me in the course of a couple of weeks asking if I could design a kit to mount the new Morimoto Mini D2S 5.0 projectors. In recent years, the mounting points for a lot of projectors have begun to standardize. Thus a bracket for the D2S 5.0 projectors would also be suitable for all the NHK-G5 variants and more interestingly, the new Morimoto M-LED 2.0. The standard of aftermarket projectors has improved drastically and these units are now on par with many OEM options so seeing a niche in the market, I got to work.

I had high hopes that the design would result in a purely bolt in install however as compact as the D2S 5.0 projectors are, a tiny sliver still needs to be shaved off for correct fitment. As can be seen in the photos, this is a pretty trivial modification however. The projector then bolts in and is practically indistinguishable from the OEM unit once reassembled except for a slight blue tint to the lens.

Below are some photos courtesy of Eric AKA MKIIIHATER of an install of some M-LED projectors and Morimoto Matchbox foglight projectors into a minty fresh set of headlights using my install kits. I have got to hand it to Eric, he does some spectacularly neat work and you guys stateside are lucky to have a resource like him in the community.

OEM components.

Upgrade parts.

Installed.

All buttoned back up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Of course there's always people wanting to go full baller spec so it wasn't long before I got requests for quad setups too. I've done a couple now using Morimoto HB LED projectors and also a second set of Minis. I don't have installed photos as I just supplied the kits, hopefully the members will post up some pictures in here once they get done with their installs.

Dual Minis.

With a big Apollo shroud around the high beam projector once installed, this should almost look OEM to a casual observer.

HB LED projector in high beam location.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just drop me a message with what setup you're looking to go with and I'll help as best I can!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
749 Posts
Any recommendations for high-speed driver/ballast for the high-beams ? The slow warm-up time of older ones makes high-beams annoying, especially for quick on/off transitions. Once they're warmed up, they're fine, but that initial turn-on is slow as molasses sometimes. And once they've been off for more than 5 mins or so, they're slow to turn on again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Typically my kits are designed for bixenon projectors to be used which are already on for low beams and the high beam switch simply actuates the shield inside the projector to un-dip the beam. Thus there is no warmup time required. LED units are another option if you want the projector to only be lit when the high beam is active.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Isaac - what do you think of the HBs? I've got RX350s with some of your brackets in place of the low beam projector, and use Diode Dynamics SL1s LED bulbs in the high beam, which are bright but don't give a very focused high beam like the stock halogens. I'd just use halogen bulbs, but the contrast in color temp is huge relative to the Philips bulbs I'm using in the RX350s.

Also, do the stock shrouds work with the MLED 2.0? If I took the lights apart again to install HBs, I've thought about swapping in MLEDs and use the RX350s in another car they supposedly drop into.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Isaac - what do you think of the HBs? I've got RX350s with some of your brackets in place of the low beam projector, and use Diode Dynamics SL1s LED bulbs in the high beam, which are bright but don't give a very focused high beam like the stock halogens. I'd just use halogen bulbs, but the contrast in color temp is huge relative to the Philips bulbs I'm using in the RX350s.

Also, do the stock shrouds work with the MLED 2.0? If I took the lights apart again to install HBs, I've thought about swapping in MLEDs and use the RX350s in another car they supposedly drop into.
The HBs do what they advertise; throw bulk light straight down the road in front of the car. MLEDs are a drop in fit with the appropriate bracket, no trimming required.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts