Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the most power an oem W-58 clutch should hold, with out dumping it a whole lot? Is there a better pp that will go well with the oem disc.

·
Registered
948 Posts
asmuch as your na can produce...

·
Registered
948 Posts
i do know what i'm talking abotu jsut thought SF could use a little sarcastic humor. i'd say 300-350ish aswell. oh and its not like theres only 1 oem clutch mated to w58's...

dont shy away from the w58... w58 ownz you

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
The stock clutch will go way before the trans...

·
Escaped from infinite lag
1,103 Posts
drjonez is right if you are thinking of running more than an exhaust and intake on an NA engine while beating it up youll be sorry. If you want to push power through an NA drive train upgrade the clutch or go with an R154 setup

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im running 12psi and I blew another clutch, I was thinking will the oem clutch disc hold over 300hp with a better pp?

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
Twigger said:
Im running 12psi and I blew another clutch, I was thinking will the oem clutch disc hold over 300hp with a better pp?
not going to happen. you'll need some whacked out PP to hold that on a full face organic disc....

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So could I get a better clutch disc and oem pp or am I looking at another chunk a money for a nice clutch kit. The reason I would like to stay with oem is I have lifetime warrenty on it but it just does not look like its going to happen.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
sure, you can stay OEM....and keep replacing it every other week. for serious power, you'll need a serious clutch....or swap over to the R154....

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have any suggestions for a w-58 clutch for around the 300 crank hp range?

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
the only clutch i found to hold my 310 rwhp was the CM stage 4....and it even held 460 rwhp. too bad it sucked to drive....you might want to call up HPF and talk to jeff re: feramic disc + ACT PP....that SHOULD hold....

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
I don't see any feramic listings for the W58, but I'll check into it tomorrow...

The Spec stage 3 is rated to hold 359 ft-lbs. I'd normally recomend having more of a margin as you may be close to that torque level, but its the highest torque rating for a sprung hub I'm aware of for the W58

Edit: The SM stage 4 appears to be sprung. Guess my recomendation will change ;)

·
JZS161 Aristo TT
881 Posts
Twigger said:
Im running 300 hp on a full face organic disc with a 2100 pound cover plate :x:

Drive plate is same as R154 :bigthumb:

·
Escaped from infinite lag
1,103 Posts
twigger why dont you just get in touch with the guys are RAM clutches they sold me my clutch and Its for aW58 tranny. Its a 6 puck unsprung clutch ..... no before anyone goes saying how the hell do you drive that let me explain. Its a little chattery off the line but after that if you slip it nicely you can go through the gears without any chatter. If driven aggresively its grabs you like crazy you will feel your teeth fall out if your racing and shifting hard but it will never slip. I have pushed it up over 20psi on the stock turbo (this was an accident) and there was no problem.

call this guy
Dorance
Clutches Ect..
PH# 704-662-0639

he is a good guy and got me exactly what i was lookn for

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
DO NOT use an unsprung clutch disc. the last thing you want to do is give your trans another reason to blow up....the springs absorb shock to the drivetrain @ all times, not just @ take off.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts