trying to see who has run at least 600hp on a w58 and how it ended up breaking
im currently running 15lbs and making 512hp.....help me out guys

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im trying to see what limit i can push without it breaking
im only interested in highway pulls right now not so much from a dig
i talked to a guy in houston that was making 600hp just trying to see if anyone else has

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I wouldn't depend on someone else's success with this trans, they could be one hit wonders and that doesn't mean your w58 will hold up the same. The R154 is considered WAY tougher and beefier than the w58, and yet many people have grenaded R154's at 600hp. w58's were designed for GE motors. In the eyes of toyota, GE motors aren't supposed to put out major hp like the GTE's so they put in a transmission that would match that relatively low amount of torque. You can try to take your w58 above 400whp, but I can almost guarantee you that it will pop. If your goal is no more than 500-600wtq, I say swap an R154 in. If you plan on making more torque, then the V160 is your only option as far as manual transmissions go, but that will mean you'll also need a 6spd rear end. Just go with an R154.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I'll let you know in a week. I'm going to be running a 6765 at 17 lbs on a gte engine. Once it breaks going with the 6 speed. Just want it to last till end of august so I can at least enjoy the car this summer.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't depend on someone else's success with this trans, they could be one hit wonders and that doesn't mean your w58 will hold up the same. The R154 is considered WAY tougher and beefier than the w58, and yet many people have grenaded R154's at 600hp. w58's were designed for GE motors. In the eyes of toyota, GE motors aren't supposed to put out major hp like the GTE's so they put in a transmission that would match that relatively low amount of torque. You can try to take your w58 above 400whp, but I can almost guarantee you that it will pop. If your goal is no more than 500-600wtq, I say swap an R154 in. If you plan on making more torque, then the V160 is your only option as far as manual transmissions go, but that will mean you'll also need a 6spd rear end. Just go with an R154.
i understand the concept of the tranny not meant for huge power
im running over 500hp right now on it
im trying to see what is the main cause of the break
when it broke...etc
a highway pull shouldnt do it because theres not a lot of stress on the tranny

·
Registered
358 Posts
i understand the concept of the tranny not meant for huge power
im running over 500hp right now on it
im trying to see what is the main cause of the break
when it broke...etc
a highway pull shouldnt do it because theres not a lot of stress on the tranny
From what I've been reading when you start reaching past 400whp:

Avoid high rpm shifts.
Avoid hard shifts aka power shifts or not lifting off the gas pedal and banging the gear.
Avoid going WOT in 5th as it is weak.
Stick with a sprung disc clutch.
Pray.

·
Leon Wilson III
29 Posts
I'm running a w58 in my Mk.II fully built 2JZ on a PT74GTS w/ RPS BT turbo manifold. Currently running 29psi on 555Rs. Car runs great! :D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Putting more than 400wtq through your w58 is NOT impossible, and can be obtained, but not sustained. It's like tuning your stock internal 2jz to 1000whp. People have done it before, but how long will it last? It's a gamble in my opinion.

·
SUPRAFICIAL
1,518 Posts
Im sure the w58 can handle more than 400 hp.. its just it doesnt have a good top speed. But there is a difference when your drag racing with it and just being on the freeway and just the boost gradually putting the power to the wheels.. i think its perfectly capable..

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Putting more than 400wtq through your w58 is NOT impossible, and can be obtained, but not sustained. It's like tuning your stock internal 2jz to 1000whp. People have done it before, but how long will it last? It's a gamble in my opinion.
/thread

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
The W58 and R154 have almost identical gearing. If you swap in a SC400 or MK4 TT auto diff the top speed is basically equal to a MK3 R154.

I think some of your guys forget how damn old the w58 it. It came out in 1981(production year) for the 145 hp / 155 ft/lb 5M-GE. Just like all Toyota parts it's overbuilt but it was never meant for high performance. That's why both the 7M-GTE and the 1JZ-GTE come with the R154. Realistically you're looking at 200s safely with hard driving, low 300s pushing it. W58 can handle more power but you won't be able to drive it hard indefinitely.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.