Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the durability. MoTeC AUS has been doing a lot of watercraft stuff lately. Below is a video showing a water test they did using a STANDARD M400 ECU (which is identical to any MoTeC ECU in terms of hardware quality you guys have) and also some video footage of the Yamaha Waverunner with M400/SDL dash fitted (along with SLM shift light and SKM knock control). They are soon releasing sealed/potted versions of their ECUs specifically for watercraft use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_scyqIsyQc

The SKM knock control addition for the "hundred series" ECUs is hands down the best knock control I have seen on the market. It allows individual cylinder knock retard adjustment, along with also allowing you to push the engine harder while monitoring for knock on a cylinder by cylinder basis. Very high quality and works wonderfully as you would expect from Motec. Not a cheap piece, and has to be setup by a qualified dealer but for higher hp applications on pump fuel it would be some wonderful piece of mind. Fully tuneable for frequency, etc and is setup for YOUR application, not just a generic setup.

· Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Cool vid!!! I wonder what would happen if you put an AEM Gen 1 box in the water? :D

· Premium Member
7,355 Posts
Cool vid!!! I wonder what would happen if you put an AEM Gen 1 box in the water? :D
I dunno, but I bet if you put a Pro-EFI box in the water it'll turn it into wine ;)

· Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dunno, but I bet if you put a Pro-EFI box in the water it'll turn it into wine ;)
:rofl: Now that was funny!

I will post some log snapshots up of the knock control later today or tomorrow so everyone can see a bit more what it is capable of.

· Premium Member
6,188 Posts

· Just an old *******
2,886 Posts
Funny you should bring that up. At SEMA, I believe, they set up a fish tank full of water, and submerge the box. They then operate the unit. It holds up very well in a wet environment apparently.

BTW, the water did not quite make it to the wine state as it takes longer than the show lasts. If SEMA was a little longer show, it would change to wine.

· Registered
7,850 Posts
john,

Great stuff as always.

On the logs, make sure to give the motor it is running against just for reference sales. I love those graphs from wavefront. Great stuff!!

On the water thing, hmmmmm. Sumbetege the edu in water and circulate said water for cooling purpose!!!! :eek:

And too add to john's SKM

We all know know is a fundamental frequency plus the associtaed harmonics. The beauty that is the SKM, if the fundamental frequency happens to be close to the natural frequency of the system, you can go higher or lower and look at the harmonics produced to find a low noice frequency and use that instead of the fundamental frequency. That means if the fundamental frequency for engine x is 7khz, harmonics are double and half that frequency. Usually the 14khz frequency is low of noice unless the motor is being slung that high. So we could base the knock control on the 14khz region. Bam, full knock control until REDLINE!! ;)

· Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
really cool stuff john. any idea how much this will retail for, or how hard setting this up will be?
$2049 is retail, I may be offering free setup if someone is also buying a tune from me (and/or a Motec ECU). It takes some good analysis and some VERY careful setup to get the most out of it.

· Supra Poobah
1,764 Posts
count me in... add it to the growing list for you to do...

$2049 is retail, I may be offering free setup if someone is also buying a tune from me (and/or a Motec ECU). It takes some good analysis and some VERY careful setup to get the most out of it.

· Premium Member
11,583 Posts

Actually all of the ProEFI unit can operate completely submerged as one of the applications they were designed for was marine. The units are spec'd for being submerged 10 feet under water for 1000 hours!!!

And ProEFI has individual cylinder knock control too!! Based on frequency and a timing window per cylinder!! And it is free with the purchase of any ProEFI!!

Is that $2049 for just the knock control.... or does that include the ECU too..... God I hope so!!

· Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually all of the ProEFI unit can operate completely submerged as one of the applications they were designed for was marine. The units are spec'd for being submerged 10 feet under water for 1000 hours!!!

And ProEFI has individual cylinder knock control too!! Based on frequency and a timing window per cylinder!! And it is free with the purchase of any ProEFI!!

Is that $2049 for just the knock control.... or does that include the ECU too..... God I hope so!!
Dont you have your own section? :love:

Last time I had my hands on a ProEFI in a customer car nobody could tell me step one in setting up the highly touted knock control. Sure it was free, but I could never use it. Hopefully that is different now.

Motec does make a nice benchmark to compare ones products to though doesn't it? :) :)

You know I love you Lar!

· Premium Member
11,583 Posts
Dont you have your own section? :love:

Last time I had my hands on a ProEFI in a customer car nobody could tell me step one in setting up the highly touted knock control. Sure it was free, but I could never use it. Hopefully that is different now.

Motec does make a nice benchmark to compare ones products to though doesn't it? :) :)

You know I love you Lar!
Haha.... Im just kidding too. I know that Motec makes an incredible product.... just the pricing is kinda crazy!!

Now back to your regularly scheduled Motec nut swinging!!

· Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha.... Im just kidding too. I know that Motec makes an incredible product.... just the pricing is kinda crazy!!

Now back to your regularly scheduled Motec nut swinging!!
Yeah, their stuff is not inexpensive that is for sure. I think the price point was an argument against Motec back when the AEM came out, but it is kinda funny that the same system is still the one everyone is shooting for. :) I we will see what the next couple of years brings, though the new Motec ECU range will turn what everyone thinks is possible on its ear.

· Premium Member
6,188 Posts

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.