Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone running a motec ems. ive herd some good things about them. dont know too much about the system itself and im trying t figure it out a lil bit. is it a pain to make the harness for it. lol whats the price of the system u paid for. is it reliable for a street car. things like this.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
There are probably 25-30 cars running around with this setup in their cars right now. Darin @ Titan makes a full plug and play harness for your ECU of choice to make life easier. It's a great choice and can be optioned out anyway you like it to suit your specific car and needs.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
382 Posts
a buddy of mine had one on his MKIII about ten years ago, ran real good but back then noone could tune it for him, so he did his own tuning and the car hauled ass.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
i never herd of this ems yet. has anyone on this forum have it
Haltech has been around for years. It was real popular in the Miami / Dade scene for a while and used big by the rotary guys. Not necessarily because it's better, but because of it's cheap price.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
try this new computer, its as good as a motec and is cheaper plus it plugs into you harness. these are doing wonders in aussie cars and alot of japs are using these now.
http://www.haltech.com/e11v2.htm
Hmm, I definitely wouldn't say the Haltech is as good as Motec. If I were to chose something out of Australia that wasn't a Motec, it'd be an Autronic way before a Haltech.

Like Wes said, Haltech has been around since the late 80's - they had a series of 'F' computers like the F2, F3, F7, etc before the E6K, much less E6X, E11, etc...

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
motec is for race cars on the street :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Haltech E11V2 is a good choice instead of an AEM if you just want to get away from the wasted spark setup, and the bugs that AEM sometimes has. Haltech is a rock solid platform in terms of reliability.

Obviously cheaper, and not as feature rich as the Motec though.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I have an M600 on my street car....no problems at all, car runs fantastic....had a Haltech E6X before, and had many issues with the unit itself....crap, as far as I was concerned.....nothing is better then MoTeC!! Bar none.

·
Registered
180 Posts
How much is a full MoTec setup? if one of the Titan guy could chime in here that would be nice

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
i will let titan or any other forum sponsor tackle price.

Motec support is bar none one of the best. Short of having Bosch, Magnetti Marelli, Efi Technology whispering sweet nothing into your ear during race day (read it cost a lot to fly out one of thier tuners to the races) motec is up there.

With that said the motec is not cheap when compared to other NON-Professional race systems (Haltech, Wolf's, Autronic, AEM, GEMS, etc) of the world. but then we must take into account the support, again, you actually want support and not the run around. Between Motec and thier authorized dealers you are covered on ALL accounts.

and some bit of advice. Once you get ANY standalone installed on your car. Don't do what you see alot on the forums (regardless of vehicle choice) of tweaking, and retweaking, and then tweaking some more. That is how you break things because unlike the mentality that has spread, Thier is a reason that R7D on new motors cost what it does and that is because the equipment (dyno, analyzers, loggers, wind tunnels, etc) cost alot of money even before the engine gets a first turn over.

·
Registered
290 Posts
i will let titan or any other forum sponsor tackle price.

Motec support is bar none one of the best. Short of having Bosch, Magnetti Marelli, Efi Technology whispering sweet nothing into your ear during race day (read it cost a lot to fly out one of thier tuners to the races) motec is up there.

With that said the motec is not cheap when compared to other NON-Professional race systems (Haltech, Wolf's, Autronic, AEM, GEMS, etc) of the world. but then we must take into account the support, again, you actually want support and not the run around. Between Motec and thier authorized dealers you are covered on ALL accounts.

and some bit of advice. Once you get ANY standalone installed on your car. Don't do what you see alot on the forums (regardless of vehicle choice) of tweaking, and retweaking, and then tweaking some more. That is how you break things because unlike the mentality that has spread, Thier is a reason that R7D on new motors cost what it does and that is because the equipment (dyno, analyzers, loggers, wind tunnels, etc) cost alot of money even before the engine gets a first turn over.
Autronic is a non profesional system? think not.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
The Motec PnP from Titan ranges from 3900-4950 depending on which ECU and options you want.

I agree the Magnetti Marelli's and Pi's of the world are absolutely incredible, but for a high powered well tuned street car, I think it's all about reliability - and less about pro analysis/telemetry. (I think Bosch can remotely bake cookies while running an open wheel car around Monza) And there are few - if any - ECU's at the Motec price point that can even be considered in the same league.

Autronic is an excellent ECU (with an excellent ignition if you ever go that route) that I consider at least worth mentioning. The difference is the lack of US support - both in availability and base of tuners. I've heard it referred to as 80 percent of Motec, at 60 percent of the price. Take that for what it's worth.

The only thing I find amusing is with the ridiculous amount of money people spend on their cars, the ECU is the item they chose to draw the line at - and call expensive. 1000-1500 dollar exhaust systems, 1600 dollar intercoolers, 4000 dollar wheels, 3000 dollar brakes that have never seen a 9/10ths stop - the 4-5000 dollar ECU is the thing that is ridiculous.

The part that keeps everything working is the item you (not any 'you' in particular) scoff at. It's not about the people who are going fast or have had good experiences with an AEM. To ME, the reason *I'm* putting a Motec in my car, it's that I have never, not once, nada, heard of anyone having a bad Motec. And not only that, but look at the entire line of Motec items and the quality control remains. C2DI vs CDI/8? They set the pace every step of the way.

I don't think there is another system in the country that can even come close to the support and reliability of Motec under 10-15K.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Autronic is a non profesional system? think not.

Out of his post, that's not the sentence to focus on. In fact in that sense - he actually said the Motec was a non-professional system as well. SBR used AEM on their ProRWD Solara, any 'pro team' can put an ecu on their car and it is technically a 'professional' ecu.

·
Motec - Race Smart
1,086 Posts
In my opinion the Motec plug and play kit is hands down the best and really the only worthwhile standalone option out there for the supra. The price is really reasonable if people would look at what they are getting. Like Mark was saying, people will spend ridiculous amounts of money on building their engine, brakes, etc...but then don't want to spend 4k for a badass ecu, just because a junk Aem ecu is half the price. Even though they know there is a good possibility that the aem might fail and could cause engine damage...it's ok because they saved $2k.

-Darin

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hmm, I definitely wouldn't say the Haltech is as good as Motec. If I were to chose something out of Australia that wasn't a Motec, it'd be an Autronic way before a Haltech.
That's correct. I currently have the haltech e6x in my 180sx SR20DET and I feel it is good for the price but overall not NEARLY as good as motec or autronic. I wouldn't get the haltech system for my supra. I feel that autronic would be the one to seriously consider. It is nearly as good or maybe as good as motec but cheaper and it has Autotune ™, Launch Control, Flat Shift and AntiLag as standard.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think the Autronic SM4 is a good less costly alternative to the Motec. Infact the designer of the Autronic once worked at Motec and left for some political reasons. The quality is up there for sure.

To run the SM4 in a Supra like a Motec M600/M800 will require their ign multiplexer as it only has 4ign outputs on the box itself.

And apparently there is talk of them implementing (or already implemented?) Ion knock sensing.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In my opinion the Motec plug and play kit is hands down the best and really the only worthwhile standalone option out there for the supra. The price is really reasonable if people would look at what they are getting. Like Mark was saying, people will spend ridiculous amounts of money on building their engine, brakes, etc...but then don't want to spend 4k for a badass ecu, just because a junk Aem ecu is half the price. Even though they know there is a good possibility that the aem might fail and could cause engine damage...it's ok because they saved $2k.

-Darin
darin i emailed you on the mypace askin about the harness and such

1 - 20 of 20 Posts