Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motec M800 install is going well but they cant get it to make the Tacho (RPM)work ?

Does anyone have any experiance with this problem on stand alone ECU's as to what might be causing this problem ?

:wtflol:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a motec engineer working on the car now..

The Motec has cost me near $8000 And I feel completely skint for doing it but it was the only realistic way of tuning a VVTI single supra properly with a stand alone ECU

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
You will have to amplify the signal for the stock tach to work. I did it with my M800 also by T-ing the signal wire into 12v but using the resistor part of a standard relay in between the 12v source and the wire t'ed into the signal wire.

U

·
0 Posts
TRD3000 said:

The Motec has cost me near $8000 And I feel completely skint for doing it but it was the only realistic way of tuning a VVTI single supra properly with a stand alone ECU

WORD.

Anil Patel

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
TRD3000 said:

You are absolutely correct about the VVT-i thing but the tach may be a little difficult. Since all the Turbo Supras here in the states are non-vvt-i the tach control maybe different. I know for sure that the non-turbo tachs are different from the turbo tachs. When you remove the meter trim and look at the face the non-turbo has a "L" on the face and the turbo has a "K" on the face. However, there have been guys who have installed the GTE engines into the SC300 and have been able to use the MSD 8920 tach adapter to make it work. I assume that the same can be done for the Turbo engine with a NA tach. I'm not so sure how the Euro vvt-i tach is setup since the engine does use share coils ( waste spark ). I would recommend having the Motec engineer use an oscilloscope to figure out the tach signal from the OEM ecu and try to use a digital output from the Motec to produce the tach output. You maybe able to produce any output from the Motec to the MSD tach adapter I've mentioned above and get the output from that to the OEM tach.

Joe.

·
8 second 6 speed member
1,362 Posts
For anyone looking for the solution to this I have it.

Splice a 2200ohm pull-up resistor between a 12v+ and the black and white TACHO wire in the factory loom.

MOTEC requires a 12v down this wire to create a wave. You can also do this behind the cluster, 12v is the yellow one...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts