Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you build your old head/block, purchase a new oem head and block, or buy a built head and block from a place like PHR or Titan? My current motor has about 150k miles and not looking for crazy hp, mild cams, valves, etc. somewhere in the 800hp range. I plan to replace things like alternator, water pump, oil pump, tensioner, etc due to the fact my car was flooded but motor did fire up fine after I replaced the flooded proefi ecu.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds like you are going to tear apart the motor either way. A machine shop will be able to tell you if the existing block and head are still good. You can save a ton of cash by using what you have. The only reason not to at least try and reuse the original parts is because you want to drive the car while the new motor is being built. You are right at that max power level of the stock motor, hard to say if you need to go too crazy on internal upgrades.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hello
I did the same thing:
Overhauled my engine
Had a machine shop do decking, .40 bore , balance and knife edge my crank and rods. Then I went forward with Wiseco pistons and rods. ARP on everything ACL race bearings and so on and so forth. The head I did a mild port and polish used stock valves and cams for now. With adjustable cam gear. Oem head gasket and all seals

I did all this for piece of mind and if I want to go single or twin parallel turbos in the near future 🤘

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello
I did the same thing:
Overhauled my engine
Had a machine shop do decking, .40 bore , balance and knife edge my crank and rods. Then I went forward with Wiseco pistons and rods. ARP on everything ACL race bearings and so on and so forth. The head I did a mild port and polish used stock valves and cams for now. With adjustable cam gear. Oem head gasket and all seals

I did all this for piece of mind and if I want to go single or twin parallel turbos in the near future 🤘
what compression ratio did you go with for your it pistons?

·
Super Moderator
10,177 Posts
now leaning towards just building up my current motor. Just need to find a great machine shop here in Houston.
Would check with [email protected] Performance or [email protected] Horsepower to determine which machine shop they use. They are both talented engine builders and have produced motors with incredible power.

Ken.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts