Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does changing to synthetic oil cause leaks? I've read somewhere it does , my supra is 53k miles ...

thanks

curtis

Z

·
0 Posts
I think it does. I heard that some where also but forgot the detail.
is also has something to do with lubrication of valve seals I remember, that synthetic dont do well? anyway just stick with the good stuff Mobil1 10W30, supra are known for its early retirement of valve stem seals and if you're BPU, turbo seal.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
157k miles with mobil 1 full synthetic and no problems with stem seals (or leaks for that matter).

Synthetics don't cause leaks but if there are leaks in the system then they'll be more evident with synthetics than with conventional oils.

C

·
0 Posts
I've always used Mobil 1 in my 85k mile Z.

Edit: my busted motor isn't oil related :).. smart asses :)

·
Very Senior Member
9,962 Posts
MyKarIsVicious said:
does changing to synthetic oil cause leaks? I've read somewhere it does , my supra is 53k miles ...

thanks

curtis
Not postive about this but I think I read that there was a break-in period required. mkiv.com probably has something.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i changed my motor oil...ang guess what? its leaking.... man... guess i bring it back and tell them to fix the leaks..
at least i switched over to synthetic now

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
My recommendation is if your car wasn't started on synthetic oil right after break in stick with non synthetic oil unless you are willing and ready to replace the valve guide oil seals shortly after changing to synthetic oil. If you change oil at 2500 mile intervals with petroleum based motor oil and give your turbo cool down and spool down time you shouldn't experience any problems due to lubrication.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the help guys :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts