Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so me and my pop decided to take the motor alone. We are having trouble getting the motor off the trans. It is like a 1/2 inch off the trans and if u twist the motor the trans stays still. Well know there has to be some kinda shaft which is why the motor will have to come foward we tryed pulling on the motor and wiggleing it out but its just not happening. My question is someone told me to take the plates off the bellhousing and unbolt the pressure plate is the solution to my problem??????

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
A little more info would be good. Like 7MGTE with R154? If so, you'll need to either unbolt the pressure plate or remove the clutch fork before the transmission can be removed from the engine. If it is an A340 or W58, bust out a big prybar because it is just stuck on something.

·
Escaped from infinite lag
1,103 Posts
exactly im running a W58 on my 7MGTE and its simple man just pull it apart and slide it forward and youll be laughing no probs

·
Registered
234 Posts
i have to ask the obvious question.. did you take the clutch fork out yet? cause i forgot the first time i tried to pull the tranny off my engine and the same thing happened.. tranny came about an inch away from the engine and wouldn't go any further

·
Sexy Bitch
392 Posts
Yes, remove the clutch fork. You will have to take off a Clip and pull a pin out of the fork, and then it just pulls out. Once you remove that then yank and wiggle some more and the block will come off. A prybar helps.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it is a gte with a r154 where do i take out the clutch fork as this is my first motor pull with this kind of engine.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
is there any way you can get the tranny back on the engine? If so, pull them both together. Its really easy to pull them both together and once you have them both out, getting the tranny off the engine block should be a piece of cake. Just remember to drain the tranny fluid prior to pulling, although i assume you have already taken care of that.

adam

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
pull all 2 out of the car...why unbolt the tranny?

·
slowest restoration ever
626 Posts
Maybe he doesn't want to take the tranny out because theres nothing wrong with it and it doesnt need to come out of the car. It might be easy to do with the tranny connected but if it needs to come off anyways, you're saving the steps of unmounting and mounting the tranny and disconnecting and reconnecting the driveshaft. I just left mine in there with no trouble.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
I agree 100%, pull the tranny out with the engine. Actually, it is so much easier to pull everything out at once, and install everything back already assembled. I'm talking, tranny, clutch, intake, alternator, AC compressor, turbo, etc. Leave all of that stuff on, pull the wiring harness through the firewall, tie wrap it to the top of the motor and pull it all. It really helps to get a load leveler though to tilt the motor up.

Note:. if your AC is still working, you should unbolt the compressor from the block and then tie wrap it out of the way and leave it all connected in the chassis.

Once it's out, pull the fork and the trans will come right off.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
miekedmr said:
Maybe he doesn't want to take the tranny out because theres nothing wrong with it and it doesnt need to come out of the car. It might be easy to do with the tranny connected but if it needs to come off anyways, you're saving the steps of unmounting and mounting the tranny and disconnecting and reconnecting the driveshaft. I just left mine in there with no trouble.
Unbolting the driveshaft takes minutes. Fighting the tranny/clutch when stabbing the engine back in SUCKS!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Rajunz said:
Unbolting the driveshaft takes minutes. Fighting the tranny/clutch when stabbing the engine back in SUCKS!
unbolting the driveshaft??

i dunno, mine just kinda slid out of the transmission. Re-install was just opposite of removal-slide back in.

·
Registered
346 Posts
adam pecush said:
unbolting the driveshaft??

i dunno, mine just kinda slid out of the transmission. Re-install was just opposite of removal-slide back in.
I think he means the center support bearing.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
mk3jessieL said:
how do i get this damn fork out please helpppppppp.

make sure you arent putting pressure on it from the engine being pulled foward...then just literally PULL it out...wiggle ita bit and pull out and it will come out...its not bolted in or anythign just sitting on a support snap...

FOR THE RECORD: pulling the tranny WITH the engine is 1 billion times better... its actually LESS work then pulling just the engine out..and putting it all back in is cake...as compared with trying to line up the input shaft with the tranny and getting it to go in right...

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
If you've already got the engine and trans separated (ie. not bolted togther anymore) it is going to be very difficult to pull the clutch fork out. I'd just go ahead and unbolt the pressure plate. It will make reinstallation of the engine onto the transmission much easier as well.

First, remove the two covers on the sides of the bellhousing. Then, evenly, loosen and remove the bolts around the perimiter of the pressure plate.

·
Registered
47 Posts
hehe i remember when I did this I also forgot to pull the clutch fork out and we spent about 3 hours tryin to get them apart before I was like dad you did pull the clutch fork out right?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts