Discussion Starter #1
From R1 forum:

read...

To: ALL LOJACK/SVRN Coordinators
LoJack Corporation – So. California Operations
Re: Monthly Update Report for September, Southern California:

Total number of “chop shops” and or “rings” for LoJack system So. CA = 242

HIGHLIGHT ACTIVITIES FOR THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER 2005:

LoJack of LOS ANGELES COUNTY: In August 2005, the victim had his first motorcycle stolen and it has yet to be recovered. He purchased a second motorcycle and this time, had LoJack installed. On 11-29-05, the victim parked and secured his motorcycle to a support beam in the underground garage where he lived. He had seven different types of locking devices on his motorcycle. When he returned home after work, he found his motorcycle had been stolen. The victim reported his motorcycle stolen and within 8 minutes of the LoJack system activating, LASD Air-22 picked up the LoJack signal from the victim's stolen 2005 Yamaha Motorcycle. The Air Unit requested Huntington Park PD units to assist in the search. The units tracked the signal to a rear garage of a residence located in the area of the 3600 block of Live Oak Street. The officers requested the Southeast TRAP Detectives to assist in the investigation. The TRAP Detectives obtained a search warrant for the location and so far, have recovered three stolen motorcycles and impounded three other possible stolen motorcycles. The victim's motorcycle was in the garage with the locking devices still attached, but the one inch stainless steel cable the victim had secured the motorcycle to the beam with, had been cut. The suspect had a 10’ by 10’ storage shed in the back yard which contained possible stolen parts to approximately 25 other motorcycles. The suspect had one bedroom full of stolen motorcycle parts and two closets full of motorcycle jackets and helmets. The suspect has an extensive record for dealing in stolen motorcycle parts. The Southeast TRAP Unit is investigation this Chop Shop case and there are more recoveries pending, along with arrest warrants for the suspects involved. This is the first LoJack equipped motorcycle theft in Los Angeles County.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
Sweeet - ive been wonding if it was worthwile to install the clifford 210c satilite tracking or not....this makes me think yes :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just get theft insurance. Its 100 percent guarenteed to get you money back. Not a stolen bike thats been stripped. Plus, Lo-Jack is pretty pricey and is not transferable from bike to bike. Although, it would be nice to catch the culprit, just not worth the risk, imo. Hopefully that guy will serve hard time and get a nice pounding.

Mike

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,268 Posts
Good advice on saving money, but bad advice overall. Insurance rates are based on what the company has to shell out. If theft didn't exist then the rates would be lower. As such is the case, living in a high theft area means the rates are higher. In fact, most insurance agencies give discounts for anti-theft systems. In short, LoJack is helping to protect us, and most importantly, catch the bad guys, so the rates will go down. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Supra SONIC said:
Good advice on saving money, but bad advice overall. Insurance rates are based on what the company has to shell out. If theft didn't exist then the rates would be lower. As such is the case, living in a high theft area means the rates are higher. In fact, most insurance agencies give discounts for anti-theft systems. In short, LoJack is helping to protect us, and most importantly, catch the bad guys, so the rates will go down. Just my two cents.

Well, you have a good point and all, but thats still at the owner's risk. Thats not a risk I am willing to take for an insurance quote thats more than likely NOT going to go down in a short amount of time. However, it would be nice to put some theives behind bars, at the same time, I don't want to have a stripped bike or no bike at all. Theft insurance might be higher in high crime areas but having a bike in the end is the most important thing.

·
Pimp of Centralia
2,815 Posts
1) i love that they found these crooks
2) my philosphy is .. if you don't have a garage to put your bike in... you shouldn't own a motorcycle..

a beam? a fucking beam? come on now.. you are just asking for your shit to be stolen

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,268 Posts
efini/supra said:
Well, you have a good point and all, but thats still at the owner's risk. Thats not a risk I am willing to take for an insurance quote thats more than likely NOT going to go down in a short amount of time. However, it would be nice to put some theives behind bars, at the same time, I don't want to have a stripped bike or no bike at all. Theft insurance might be higher in high crime areas but having a bike in the end is the most important thing.
The guy probably had theft insurance, and probably did the LoJack to reduce the rates... I was responding to the "just get...", because IMO I wouldn't detour anyone from LoJack when it makes a difference in law enforcement.

·
A T-Rex going "Rawr!"
2,778 Posts
efini/supra said:
Just get theft insurance. Its 100 percent guarenteed to get you money back. Not a stolen bike thats been stripped. Plus, Lo-Jack is pretty pricey and is not transferable from bike to bike. Although, it would be nice to catch the culprit, just not worth the risk, imo. Hopefully that guy will serve hard time and get a nice pounding.

Mike
1) Most places won't cover the bike if its got $10K in modifications, which will make it even MORE likely to be stolen
2) Call your insurance company, tell them you're 21 and you want insurance on a 2006 Hayabusa, then come back and tell me how cheap and what a good deal it is to get theft insurance.
3) The insurance company is more likely to give you the money to fix the things that may be missing or scratched on your bike than to give you MSRP on a brand new bike. So either way you're getting a used bike or your bike with new parts.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Worm said:
1) Most places won't cover the bike if its got $10K in modifications, which will make it even MORE likely to be stolen
2) Call your insurance company, tell them you're 21 and you want insurance on a 2006 Hayabusa, then come back and tell me how cheap and what a good deal it is to get theft insurance.
3) The insurance company is more likely to give you the money to fix the things that may be missing or scratched on your bike than to give you MSRP on a brand new bike. So either way you're getting a used bike or your bike with new parts.
Thanks for bringing up some extreme cases.
1) Insurance will cover the bike. Maybe not the 10k in modifications, but if it does get stolen...at least you get a bike in return.
2) Why stop at a Hayabusa? How about a zx-14r if you want to be nit-picky? And why does he have to be 21? Might as well make the kid's age 16.
3) If your bike is stolen, they will give you a new bike. Not parts.

Dont get me wrong. LoJack is definitely an awesome investment. It recovered my friends Integra Type R, and even caught the thieves. But by that time, the car was already missing a lot of stuff. Now, not only did he end up with a half-stripped SALVAGED titled car, he had to repair everything by himself out of his own expense. I don't know if it would have been more worth it if he had full coverage or comprehensive, but it certainly would have gotten him money to buy another one.

The price that I pay for theft coverage is just a tad more expensive than LoJack. So maybe thats where our opinions differ. I don't know how much everyone else has to pay for full coverage or comprehensive on their bikes/cars. But it just isnt worth it for me.

·
A T-Rex going "Rawr!"
2,778 Posts
efini/supra said:
Thanks for bringing up some extreme cases.
1) Insurance will cover the bike. Maybe not the 10k in modifications, but if it does get stolen...at least you get a bike in return.
2) Why stop at a Hayabusa? How about a zx-14r if you want to be nit-picky? And why does he have to be 21? Might as well make the kid's age 16.
3) If your bike is stolen, they will give you a new bike. Not parts.

Dont get me wrong. LoJack is definitely an awesome investment. It recovered my friends Integra Type R, and even caught the thieves. But by that time, the car was already missing a lot of stuff. Now, not only did he end up with a half-stripped SALVAGED titled car, he had to repair everything by himself out of his own expense. I don't know if it would have been more worth it if he had full coverage or comprehensive, but it certainly would have gotten him money to buy another one.

The price that I pay for theft coverage is just a tad more expensive than LoJack. So maybe thats where our opinions differ. I don't know how much everyone else has to pay for full coverage or comprehensive on their bikes/cars. But it just isnt worth it for me.
I'm sorry but thats bullshit, if you bought the bike new and rode it 2K miles and then it got stolen they WILL NOT issue you a brand spankin new bike off the showroom floor. I know 7 people so far this year who have gotten NEW bikes stolen and NOT gotten NEW bikes from the insurance and they had full coverage. And just so you know full coverage for my bike is -over- $6000 a year, I purchased the bike out the door brand new for $9999. You do the math.
As for your last statement wtf? We're not discussing the benefits of insurance vs no insurance. We're discussing the benefits of LOJACK vs NO LOJACK. Of course having insurance is a good thing if you bike gets stolen, do you actually think someone is debating that? Ive called probably every insurance company that there is (over 50 when I got my bike) and NONE would allow theft coverage without comprehensive and everything. Think about it.. you wreck your bike? Hmm I'll just strip it down and report it stolen. Problem solved as long as there is no police report. And most of the time cops are too lazy to write them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Worm said:
I'm sorry but thats bullshit, if you bought the bike new and rode it 2K miles and then it got stolen they WILL NOT issue you a brand spankin new bike off the showroom floor. I know 7 people so far this year who have gotten NEW bikes stolen and NOT gotten NEW bikes from the insurance and they had full coverage. And just so you know full coverage for my bike is -over- $6000 a year, I purchased the bike out the door brand new for $9999. You do the math.
As for your last statement wtf? We're not discussing the benefits of insurance vs no insurance. We're discussing the benefits of LOJACK vs NO LOJACK. Of course having insurance is a good thing if you bike gets stolen, do you actually think someone is debating that? Ive called probably every insurance company that there is (over 50 when I got my bike) and NONE would allow theft coverage without comprehensive and everything. Think about it.. you wreck your bike? Hmm I'll just strip it down and report it stolen. Problem solved as long as there is no police report. And most of the time cops are too lazy to write them.

I misled you about the new bike. I meant that they would give you the amount your bike is worth, and in return you can get another bike. For instance,my friends raven 05 r1 was stolen last year. Insurance gave him a cash settlement and he went out and bought a 06 r1. What is so hard to get about that? (Would like to clarify so you won't get misled again about getting a new bike... he didn't get the amount he paid at the dealer because of the taxes and the value of the bike, but he got close to it)

I don't know about your insurance rates, but that certainly sucks for you. Out of the many people that i know with full coverage do not pay anywhere near what you have stated.

The topic is about LoJack. And while we are discussing the benefits of having LoJack or not, I have a totally relevant and valid point.

Lastly, what you are implying in your last statement was fraud, correct? Yeah, so what? That doesn't mean they are not going to offer that coverage just because there is room for fraud. Shit happens! Thats why they have those kinds of coverages in the first place and it is up to the insurance company to investigate any report to see if fraud has taken place. Its wrong, but its not like it never happened before. Plus, explain to me why I have comprehensive insurance ONLY and without full coverage. If you really called 50 insurance places and they all told you that, then you are the one bullshitting. And out of 50 insurance places that you have called, the cheapest one you found was 6g's? :urowned:

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts