Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had some good ideas on how/where (in cabin!) to mount a small video camcorder for the purpose of recording driving (say... through some neato twisty backroads). I knew it wasn't going to work, but I tried duct-taping it to the dash :rofl:

·
Registered
626 Posts
I've experimented with a ton of ways to mount cameras, and microphones, in and around Supras. Racing is one thing, but I also make time-lapse videos of many of my drives. I've had great success with odd angles as well, such as including the front wheel in the image, or looking backwards alongside the car.

But, as far as in-cab mounting, I've found that a properly rigged tripod in the passenger footwell works fantastically. Adjust each of the legs carefully to get a level image, while wedging the widest two legs in the corners next to the transmission tunnel and the door. Also move the seat forward, and anything you can to get it snug. Finally, raise the camera itself until it nears the windsheild using the elevation adjustment. If you do it properly, during acceleration, the tripod feet will grip the floor and the seat will create a leverage holding the camera in place. Depending on the configuration, it is also pressed against the glove compartment. Variations are possible, such as lowering the front leg to have the tripod leaning forward in a brace-like position, and compensating for the angle with the other adjustments. It does help to have a decent/strong tripod, and a light camera.

That's what I use to great success, and it's pretty nice because it is extremely temporary. Good luck! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
377 Posts
They sell something that you can mount to your windshield with a suction cup, directly under the rearview mirror, or u can make a clamp bracket on the cage if u have one

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
turbo_kid02 said:
They sell something that you can mount to your windshield with a suction cup, directly under the rearview mirror, or u can make a clamp bracket on the cage if u have one
like this? :)

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
yeah they are cool. only thing you have to consider when mounting outside the car is using an external mic mounted elsewhere. behind the front bumper works nice. if you use the internal mic im sure you can imagine what it would sound like. whoooooosssshhhhh

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
get one of those things and mount it on your hatch glass so you can see the dash and driver doing what he does best...

·
Registered
379 Posts
My friend bought a stand that clamps to the bars inside the passenger headrest. It sticks out so that the camera is in the middle of the car. It works pretty well for his track videos.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts