Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
i need horsepower
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im originally from socal and am moving over to philadelphia for grad school (temple univ). Can anyone make recommendations on where to live (specifically) around commuting distance? I am still debating on whether to bring the supra...

im trying to look for housing and dont kno where to start... help anyone

looking for clean housing, safe parking, washer/dryer in unit, close to center city...

·
Registered
96 Posts
supra

good luck with the supra i give you two weeks before it is stolen. My friend goes to temple and is scared to let his sti alone. It is very bad and if you keep it here make sure its in a locked garage with security.

·
Banned
772 Posts
old man celica said:
Hey guys, im originally from socal and am moving over to philadelphia for grad school (temple univ). Can anyone make recommendations on where to live (specifically) around commuting distance? I am still debating on whether to bring the supra...

im trying to look for housing and dont kno where to start... help anyone

looking for clean housing, safe parking, washer/dryer in unit, close to center city...
I would say live in either University City or Manyunk/Roxborough, best for college students. The temple are isnt the greatest but philly has much worse, just make sure to take a ride around the temple area to see where u can park and such. You should be fine if you do decide to bring your car. If you have any questions your more than welcome to ask, hit me up on aim or pm.

-emp

·
i need horsepower
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brianszo6 said:
good luck with the supra i give you two weeks before it is stolen. My friend goes to temple and is scared to let his sti alone. It is very bad and if you keep it here make sure its in a locked garage with security.
so its that bad huh?? i went to interview there and only saw a glimpse of the city for the hour i was in the cab heading to and from the school and airport...

what does your friend with the sti do? car cover??

·
i need horsepower
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
empera said:
I would say live in either University City or Manyunk/Roxborough, best for college students. The temple are isnt the greatest but philly has much worse, just make sure to take a ride around the temple area to see where u can park and such. You should be fine if you do decide to bring your car. If you have any questions your more than welcome to ask, hit me up on aim or pm.

-emp
thx man ill be sure to contact ya if i got any other concerns..thx

·
Lurking...
885 Posts
old man celica...Philly isn't all that bad. I mean, as of right now, we are the city with the most murders out of the entire country. Temple's campus itself is nice. It's just the slums outside of it in that area that aren't so great. If you want to live on campus, there's tons of public transportation, so you wouldn't even need a car. I would recommend leaving your Supra at home.

If you're looking to commute...again, there's still public transportation that takes you to Temple's campus. Lansdale, PA is about 40 minutes outside of the city...about 25 minutes for a train ride. You could live there and bring your car. Were you looking to move into an apartment? How much were you looking to spend per month? I could recommend some apartment complexes where you, and your car would be safe, but I just need to know what your price limit is.

·
Banned
772 Posts
South Philly isnt too bad, the Northeast isnt bad at all, just like 30min away by car, u would want to stay away from north philly, southwest, and west philly :) There's definately some nice places you can live in and actually still be in philly. Olde City (center city) - Fairmount, Manyunk, Roxborough, some of Germantown, etc...etc...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I went to school and lived in philly for four years... I loved it...
I lived in center city. Temple area sucks, but try to find something around center city and you can just go right up broad street to school...

From Walnut to South street and from 18th to 2nd... your pretty safe...
Old city and rittenhouse square is extremely nice and expensive....
Everything around Broad Street (around the avenue of arts area) is nice too, but affordable....

Definitley do not bring your car.....

If you have any more questions... just pm me

·
i need horsepower
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AlyssaC said:
Were you looking to move into an apartment? How much were you looking to spend per month? I could recommend some apartment complexes where you, and your car would be safe, but I just need to know what your price limit is.
Im looking into an apartment where i would be safe and my car would be safe...single space garage if possible, my limit is above $1000 a month.

Would a locked garage be sufficient? u guys make it seem like anyone with a decent na supra or typical newer car like a 3 series bmw is going to get jacked for sure and mugged...

im planning to have a 91 celica beater to drivce to and from school...just couldnt imagine staying there for 4+ yrs without the supra....

·
Banned
772 Posts
you'll be fine man, dont believe the hype...philly isnt too bad...check out craigslist.org, they may have apartments and/or garages for rent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey there,

I live in Center City and I can see Temple from my window(actually looking at it now, lol). Im right on Broad four blocks North of City Hall. The building is gated, there is indoor parking, and also a few car enthusiasts in the building(including a couple rolls/bentleys). The prices are a little high in the area of $1400+ a month for a one bedroom but its perfect for a Temple student. They are still finishing up the lofts so im sure there is room left as well. PM me or give me your email address and I can send you some information on the place.

regards,

Matt

·
Registered
527 Posts
just live in jersey man im like 10 mins away almost somethign around ther and its a good community over here. nothing to worry about here

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
I live in Mannayunk and it's a very nice area. You can catch the R6 train to temple. It's only like 2 stops away!!

Please don't bring a supra to the temple area. My friend got his face cut over there (true story). I can only imagine what some animals do to other people's posessions over there. (yes I call them animals. You wouldn't believe some of the shit that goes on over there, and I speak from personal experience).

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
I grew up and have lived in Philly now for ....damn it's 52 years! I love Philly and unless you just don't like a vibrant urban lifestyle, you will too. Not as vibrant as NYC of course, but what is? I can't add much to the good advice above, they pretty much gave you what you need to know to decide.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts