Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've accepted a job in Portland and will be moving next week into the area. Since its on the border, I can easily live in either state -- so which one has more lenient smog laws? Would it really matter? My car passes CA smog after a day's work, but it's worth driving a bit more each day if I don't have to deal with it ;)

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Welcome to the rainy NW...haha... Washington's smog laws are a little more lenient. Where in Porltand will you be working if you don't mind me asking?

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Washington's smog laws are a LOT more lenient. Driving across the bridges into Portland and back will suck if you go that route though...

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
Alright another NorCal Supra comes to the NW.. welcome man! And yes, if you work in Portland and work normal business hours I would recommend living in Portland since i-5 at the interstate bridge is a total joke every day. Dont be too worried about SMOG (DEQ they call it in OR).. With a CAT and a fuel computer you can get your car to pass easy. Shoot me a PM when you get up here and we'll meet up.

-Matt

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,934 Posts
Do you guys have to do smog in Vancouver?

Washington has no state income tax but does have a sales tax so it's a toss up.

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,915 Posts
DrMike said:
Do you guys have to do smog in Vancouver?QUOTE]
Vancouver, WA? yes, but the surrounding counties do not have it. So all you have to do is drive outside Clark county and your set.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I'll be working at Horsepowerfreaks (east of the portland airport) so I could easily hit the 205 (which I'm told moves much better than I-5). I can pass CA smog with some fussing (and after installing stock exhaust/stock bypass valve/egr), but since I'll be moving into an apartment I'm not sure I want to lug around all the extra hardware.

That said, if Clark County requires similar smog to Oregon, it's probably not worth it. And commuting from Skamania county would get old quickly.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
That said, if Clark County requires similar smog to Oregon, it's probably not worth it. And commuting from Skamania county would get old quickly.
Passing smog in Washington is SIGNIFICANTLY easier than in Oregon. The requirements are worlds apart in my experience.

Congrats on the new position. :)

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,915 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
i am pretty sure Skamania county doesnt have emission requirements :dunno: good luck either way.

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
Exactly why it would be appealing. But the lack of rentals within 20 miles of portland was discouraging...
If you are going to work at HPF's the easiest drive is from Vancouver, WA by far, unless you live somewhere close by on the Oregon side. You would take I-205 and get off at Airport Road exit (the first exit right next to the river) and turn left and go about 2 miles and your at work. easy easy easy and easy smog test in Vancouver...haha... Can't beat that with a wooden stick!

·
Do You Even HKS, Bro?!?
1,493 Posts
Don't live in Vancouver..

I have nothing against it as a city but I tried it when I moved here. My commute sucked (even though it was short) and my girlfriend works on airport way 5 blocks from HPF and her commute sucked.

People suck at driving in the rain.

Honestly, move to Portland and save yourself the hassle.

I'll see you when you're here

Kevin

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
F that -- you save 10% of your salary if you live in Washington. I'd take a commute over a bridge any day for that.

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Vancouver, the best of both worlds. Shop across the river and pay no sales tax and if you worked in WA then you would pay no income taxes. Of course it doesn't apply in your case. There is no sales tax on food in WA though.

Also OR is talking about Personal Property tax on all of your personal property. The tax and spend democrats are in power, but of course they are in WA too, even though they illegally stole the election.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Now that I think about it if you're employed in Oregon you may have to pay income tax there regardless of whether you live in Washington... I'd check that out before deciding. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts