Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone know of an mr2 site? Just basically a forum like this but for mr2's. I'm assuming it would be hard to find one as large as supraforums but if anyone is a member of one point me in the right direction.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright good to know. Let's take this thread in another direction. I'm thinking about getting a cheap dd I'd like to get something still fun though. Maybe an na mr2 or a turbo one if I could find one for a decent price. I was also thinking about an older rx7 like 87-91 turbo or a na 300zx 90-96. I guess I could always go 240 but I'd rather have one of the first 3. What do you guys think?

·
Whoooosh
143 Posts
for cheap DD N/A 2nd gen Mr2 cant be beat. Design is not as dated at the Gen1, the engine is bulletproof. And still has decent power. Think about all the money you'd have to pour in a Rx-7 or a 300zx. Parts will be much much cheaper for the MR2

·
Stock turbo sucks
282 Posts
MR2. might slightly be biased. The NA has the 2.2L 5sfe of a camry, that motor really just needs oil and gas and will take whatever you throw at it. Not much aftermarket for the NA motors. The turbos are really fun to drive and real easy to work on.

mr2oc.com

Might be slightly biased.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
for cheap DD N/A 2nd gen Mr2 cant be beat. Design is not as dated at the Gen1, the engine is bulletproof. And still has decent power. Think about all the money you'd have to pour in a Rx-7 or a 300zx. Parts will be much much cheaper for the MR2
I've owned several of that generation of rx-7 and never had any problems with them ( turbo and na ). It's those post 93's with the twins that give everyone problems. I had a buddy in high school with a 91 turbo mr2 and I loved that. Anyone know price wise what they go for. Last time I looked n/a mr2s were like 3-4.5 and turbos were 6k plus. Turbo might be out of my price range just for a dd.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MR2. might slightly be biased. The NA has the 2.2L 5sfe of a camry, that motor really just needs oil and gas and will take whatever you throw at it. Not much aftermarket for the NA motors. The turbos are really fun to drive and real easy to work on.

mr2oc.com

Might be slightly biased.
Do you mean price wise or based on my question? I love the way the turbos sound they are soooo loud with the motor right behind your head

·
Stock turbo sucks
282 Posts
Both I was just answering your question. You can find Na's anywhere from 2k-5k for 91-93 depending on condition. 94's and 95's even Na's still sell for a pretty penny. Decent turbos start at about 6K+. If you decide to settle for the turbo try get a 93 turbo. 94+ turbos are pretty pricey and not really DD material.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm kind of up in the air at this point I've got an is300 that's almost paid off but I'm thinking about selling it to pick up something a little more fun. Anyone on here actually own an mr2?

·
Boom! Goes the TNT.
133 Posts
I just picked up a '91 MR2 Turbo as my new daily driver, other than the fact that the t-top seals leak in heavy rain (can/will be fixed) and there's not much storage space, it's been lots of fun.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just picked up a '91 MR2 Turbo as my new daily driver, other than the fact that the t-top seals leak in heavy rain (can/will be fixed) and there's not much storage space, it's been lots of fun.
How much did it end up costing you if you don't mind me asking. What was the mileage? I'm not looking for anything crazy modified I might end up putting exhaust or something on it but I'm not going to be driving the supra to work everyday and I think this would be something fun to drive. Plus I love to get sideways

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've daily driven an auto 91 NA and a 94 Turbo for a few years and loved it. They're fairly comfortable considering the size of the car. They are not very forgiving handling cars though when pushed, the 91-93 more so. They're also harder on the rear tires than your average car. I generally went through a set of rear tires once a year averaging around 15k miles a year. That is w/ fairly tame driving and 300-350 tread wear rated tires. If I were in our position, I'd go w/ a NA b/c they are cheaper and simpler to maintain and you've already got a Supra for your fun car.

·
Boom! Goes the TNT.
133 Posts
To tell you the truth it was an impulse buy. I paid $5,500 for white with blue interior 1991 MR2 Turbo. 170k miles on the chassis, but the car had a BHG last summer and whole motor was rebuilt ~4k miles ago along with an upgrade to a CT27 turbo, lighten flywheel, ACT clutch, pressure plate, etc. (all receipts included, cost the guy about ~$8500). All body panels have matching VINs, all glass except for windshield was original. Brand new Hankooks in the rear about a week before he sold the car as well. Car came with the original window sticker and 3 binders of receipts and records of EVERYTHING. Previous owner seemed to be pretty meticulous, car was always garaged because it wasn't his daily driver. Told me he was selling the car to put a down payment on a house. After he signed the title over to me, he kept taking a few steps away and then coming back to tell me about little things like to only use Mobil 1, don't boost til it's fully warmed up, etc. It was kind of sad to see as that's probably what I'd be like if I had to sell my Supra.

How much did it end up costing you if you don't mind me asking. What was the mileage? I'm not looking for anything crazy modified I might end up putting exhaust or something on it but I'm not going to be driving the supra to work everyday and I think this would be something fun to drive. Plus I love to get sideways

·
Registered
161 Posts
I own a 91 MR2 turbo at the moment. It's been lots of fun for the past 2 years. I enjoy driving it more than I did my 94 Supra turbo, although that one was an automatic so that might have had something to do with it. But anyway, it is easy and cheap to work on, but being old it needs some TLC sometimes. Definitely a fun car though!

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Everything I'm hearing sounds good. I don't know if I'm looking to spend 7k+ for a dd some of the ones I've seen are crazy high. But 4.5-6 I could do or just go with an n/a. I need to find out what my lexus is worth.

·
Boom! Goes the TNT.
133 Posts
You can pick up an above average condition MR2 for a good price as long as you have the cash in hand and some patience. Put yourself in a position where you can act quickly when a deal pops up and browse Craigslist + local classifieds. I would recommend test driving several MR2s, because many of these cars were not taken care of. You need the time behind the wheel so that you'll be able to notice the nuances of the car and be able to recognize a good one when it comes along.

Everything I'm hearing sounds good. I don't know if I'm looking to spend 7k+ for a dd some of the ones I've seen are crazy high. But 4.5-6 I could do or just go with an n/a. I need to find out what my lexus is worth.

·
Factory RSP Hardtopper
1,961 Posts
I paid $1200 for a 91 MR-2 N/a 5 speed and spent $50 to make it have cold air. After puting my stock Supra wheels on it I fnd myself driving it more than my Supra and 07 Tacoma. It's like an oversize gocart. IMHO one of the best dd cars out there. Fuel efficent and fun to drive.

Also check out www.mr2.com as they are not quite the nazis mr2oc has the rep of being.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ah, a thread where i have first hand experience to reference!

Okay, i had a 91 mr1 turbo for ~ 5 years from 2002-2007 before selling it to my uncle, who is now enjoying it.

For a DD, i would recommend the NA. Its cheaper for one, and they are really fun to drive on the street. No waiting for boost, etc. If you are going to want to mod for more power, then a Turbo is your best choice, but i don't think thats what you want.

Whoever said they are an easy car to work on... uhh no, they aren't. They are a Back Breaker to work on. The way everything works i suppose is pretty straight forward and easy to understand, and the various systems are fairly straight forward. but like ANY Mid Engined car, it is a back breaker to actually wrench on.

If you get yourself a stock NA, so long as you change the oil once in a while, and put regular gas in the tank. it WILL run... FOREVER. This statement is directed at the engine and drivetrain. They are bulletproof.

Earlier you said you like to get sideways. This is not the car for getting sideways. this is more of a Grip car, rather than a "drift" car. As an example, in the "Drift Bible" with that crazy japanese driver, he goes through some different platform cars talking about what its like to drift them.
He drifts an MR2 turbo, and it is pretty awesome, however it is the only car in the video that he manages to spin out while drifting...
the 91-92 cars have something referred to as "snap oversteer" and it has to do with the rear suspension toeing out (going from memory...might be slightly off) under load. This then causes the rear of the car to break SUDDENLY into oversteer instead of being a more gradual slide. you can read much more about the cars handling characteristics (At the LIMIT) at mr2oc.com Please keep in mind tho, that for someone who has just DDed their MR2 like a normal person for the last 10 years. They will have no idea what you are talking about regarding "snap oversteer," and these cars are very fun and tossable.

my .02

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah, a thread where i have first hand experience to reference!

Okay, i had a 91 mr1 turbo for ~ 5 years from 2002-2007 before selling it to my uncle, who is now enjoying it.

For a DD, i would recommend the NA. Its cheaper for one, and they are really fun to drive on the street. No waiting for boost, etc. If you are going to want to mod for more power, then a Turbo is your best choice, but i don't think thats what you want.

Whoever said they are an easy car to work on... uhh no, they aren't. They are a Back Breaker to work on. The way everything works i suppose is pretty straight forward and easy to understand, and the various systems are fairly straight forward. but like ANY Mid Engined car, it is a back breaker to actually wrench on.

If you get yourself a stock NA, so long as you change the oil once in a while, and put regular gas in the tank. it WILL run... FOREVER. This statement is directed at the engine and drivetrain. They are bulletproof.

Earlier you said you like to get sideways. This is not the car for getting sideways. this is more of a Grip car, rather than a "drift" car. As an example, in the "Drift Bible" with that crazy japanese driver, he goes through some different platform cars talking about what its like to drift them.
He drifts an MR2 turbo, and it is pretty awesome, however it is the only car in the video that he manages to spin out while drifting...
the 91-92 cars have something referred to as "snap oversteer" and it has to do with the rear suspension toeing out (going from memory...might be slightly off) under load. This then causes the rear of the car to break SUDDENLY into oversteer instead of being a more gradual slide. you can read much more about the cars handling characteristics (At the LIMIT) at mr2oc.com Please keep in mind tho, that for someone who has just DDed their MR2 like a normal person for the last 10 years. They will have no idea what you are talking about regarding "snap oversteer," and these cars are very fun and tossable.

my .02
some useful info. The prices seem to jump a ton I'm seeing na's around 2,500-4,000 then the turbos are usually at least 7,000. I'm probably going to have to stay with the n/a. I'm leaning towards selling the lexus and getting an n/a mr2 and a used crotch rocket ( probably an 02-03gsxr )

1 - 20 of 35 Posts