Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking at ditching my 87na supra and getting a 2000 mr2 spyder, and i am really looking for opinions on people who have owned or driven them. i have already found out about the precat failure and the previous owner has already gutted it. just curious as to the potential of these cars. i am looking for something reliable, handles good (even though i am not a hardcore auto xer) and something that has potential to run 13s for when i head to the dragstrip ( i know this is not a drag car but is the potential there? how hard is it to get these cars to run 13s)
any other advice and input is appreciated. btw i can get this car for 13k.
thanks guys

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts

·
Dreamer
1,628 Posts
I like MR-S's. I think they are fun cars. They are, however, underpowered in stock form. I would recommend going with 2ZZ swap since that would provide enough power to have fun and it doesn't affect the reliability and drivability of the car at all. But if you don't want this car for handling and you want it for a drag car, you will regret buying this car. I don't really know a lot about MR-S's so I can't comment on how easy it is to get to 13's.

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
Rookie84 said:
I like MR-S's. I think they are fun cars. They are, however, underpowered in stock form. I would recommend going with 2ZZ swap since that would provide enough power to have fun and it doesn't affect the reliability and drivability of the car at all. But if you don't want this car for handling and you want it for a drag car, you will regret buying this car. I don't really know a lot about MR-S's so I can't comment on how easy it is to get to 13's.
It's fine as a drag car due to the weight. There are a few pushing 300 rwhp + on 2500 lbs so ....

The problem is that you can't have both, you'll sacrefice handling for power and vice versa.

If you want the best overall package - go with the 2ZZ and maybe do nitrous or just a new cam and 12k redline :D

X

·
0 Posts
you can always SC the 1zz in the MR-S, i dont know how hard it would be to get it in the 13's

·
Registered
172 Posts
with the hass turbo the mrs will run 12s on street tires, they are roughly 2200 pounds too and even in stock form handle incredibly. with stock power you dont have to worry about coming out of a corner and stepping on it and loosing control, you can almost drive the car 100% and not worry about a thing really because it is underpowered, for a purpose of course.

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
xioix said:
you can always SC the 1zz in the MR-S, i dont know how hard it would be to get it in the 13's
no you can't

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
xioix said:
what do you mean he cant supercharge the 1zz in the MR-S, TRD makes a supercharger for it
no they don't

you are confuzing the 1zz from a matrix 00-02

·
Registered
606 Posts
i hated the MR2 (spyder) when it first came out-hated it for years. But i'm seriously considering it as my next car. I'd do a 2zz swap. Take out the passenger seat and spare tire. Buy a hardtop for it-no hard facts, but thats gotta be into the 14's since the heavier celica runs 15's, plus MR traction. intake, exhaust+hardest suspension on the market=fun as hell, crazy handling. ok its my next car

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
Supra_Dre said:
i hated the MR2 (spyder) when it first came out-hated it for years. But i'm seriously considering it as my next car. I'd do a 2zz swap. Take out the passenger seat and spare tire. Buy a hardtop for it-no hard facts, but thats gotta be into the 14's since the heavier celica runs 15's, plus MR traction. intake, exhaust+hardest suspension on the market=fun as hell, crazy handling. ok its my next car
a few guys with the 2zz swap are in 13s

X

·
0 Posts
goldark said:
no they don't

you are confuzing the 1zz from a matrix 00-02
the 1zz in the corolla and matrix are the same block and setup, so you can use the SC, their just isnt a bolt on kit for it

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
xioix said:
the 1zz in the corolla and matrix are the same block and setup, so you can use the SC, their just isnt a bolt on kit for it
so which is it?

:wtflol:

you might as well say that there is a supercharger for every car but it's not bolt on...

there is NO SUPERCHARGER for the mr2 spyder

X

·
0 Posts
goldark said:
so which is it?

:wtflol:

you might as well say that there is a supercharger for every car but it's not bolt on...

there is NO SUPERCHARGER for the mr2 spyder
the engine is the exact some thing, why would the SC not fit

the difference between this SC and others are that the supercharger fits the engine

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
id much rather have an MR2 than the MRS

and i wouldnt think of selling my supra for either...

-Joe :run:

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
xioix said:
the engine is the exact some thing, why would the SC not fit
:lol:

do you even own a MR2 Spyder ?
did you see the supercharger?
did you see the engine bay?

show me one superchargerd MR2 Spyder...go ahead - show me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts