Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to creating another MR2 thread, but I didn't want to hijack the other person's thread. Ive seen some knowledgable MR2 owners on this board and was hoping for some input.

I recently sold my super pristine RX-7 with 35k miles. No problems with that car whatsoever. I wanted a track car, but that car was way way too clean for track duty. Hell I felt guilt taking it off the car cover and taking it out of the garage for a drive.

I've been looking around for a RWD car that I can make a track car while driving it on the street. There are a few things I am looking for in this car.
Reliability, Great Handling, Power, and Appealing Aesthetics. Not sure if there are any other things I should be looking for.

*I love the handling of the RX-7. Steering is very responsive and feedback is unlike any other car I have ever driven. You become one with the car in a sense because you feel the road, it becomes like an extension of yourself. I love that feeling.

*I would like something reliable, I know reliability goes hand in hand with maintenence and car care..but you guys know what I mean. I always control the throttle in my RX-7 because somewhere in the back of my mind, I am always afraid of blowing the engine. That is not something I want hanging over me. Are MR2s reliable?

*Power, I don't need the fastest car out there or anything. But I do want somethign relatively peppy.

My question is Does the Mr2 fill these categories?
How are MR2s in the handling dept? Is this car hard to control? I am afraid that the car's rear end will come out while cornering since the engine is in the back. Oversteer is easy?

Is the Mr2 a reliable car?

What can I expect out of a Mr2 turbo in terms of power with just bolt ons. Will it be a factor in reliability.

Are there any quirks with these cars that I should know about?

Thanks guys!

Past Ride

·
Registered
190 Posts
You should slap your self in the nutts for selling your RX-7. That thing is a beauty.
As far as Mr2's reliability, the same goes for any car. You start to modd it, you have to maintain it. It's the maintanance that will bite you in the ass. Just keep up with that and you should be fine.

·
rip supra, new car soon
786 Posts
SAEID said:
You should slap your self in the nutts for selling your RX-7. That thing is a beauty.
As far as Mr2's reliability, the same goes for any car. You start to modd it, you have to maintain it. It's the maintanance that will bite you in the ass. Just keep up with that and you should be fine.
:stupid:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I am punching myself for selling her, but it got to the point where I never drive the car to enjoy her because the car was so pristine. I figured I might as well let someone else enjoy her. Weird huh selling a car because it is too clean and trying to look for a worse example....

·
Tazer 14b > GT30R
180 Posts
I remember that 7. Very, very clean.

You should just pick up another 7...or a sooopra.

·
SF Zombie hunter
2,557 Posts
SAEID said:
u must be nuts, mr2 is much more reliable than rx7.
Although it still has its own problems (hose from hell, leaky valve cover, knock senser, hard to work on***) but nothing major compares to rx7.
***because it is mid engine

·
Banned
323 Posts
Yea Id just find a 93+ turbo. Make sure to go with an EMS as one of the 1st mods. OEM ecu does not respond very well to mods. You could just go with an ATS td06 + rom tune combo. Thats 350whp right there. All you will need is 550s and an ic and exhaust. Good luck man.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wrx19 said:
I remember that 7. Very, very clean.

You should just pick up another 7...or a sooopra.

Weird, a lot of people have asked me about the car....seems the car is recognized on the rx7 forum. I have had people post about it on other forums too. Random people emailed me when I listed the car for sale just to say hi and they remember seeing the car on the street before. Damn I miss this car already and it has only been 3 days since its departure. The garage feels so empty.

I was thinking about a Supra, but I like nimble cars. I know the Supra can handle fairly well for a car that weighs so much more than the RX-7, but I like lightweight and nimbler cars.

Mr2 seems ideal for me...Ive had a s2000 for awhile too but that car does not really do it for me.

btw everyone seems to want a 93 and up mr2 whats wrong with the earlier ones?

·
SF Zombie hunter
2,557 Posts
91-92 has
-shitty ass 14in rims
-it oversteer very easily
-it has weaker 1st and 2nd synchronization rings
-no lsd
-A/C problems

·
Registered
108 Posts
I *think* 93 was the year they made some suspension updates that made the handling a little more predictable. MR2 experts please correct me if I'm wrong. Edit: 2dmaxsupra thanks for the second post, I forgot about the synchros.

And I was going to join the chorus in saying that your old RX looked amazing! Thanks for posting the pics.

·
Banned
381 Posts
SAEID said:

^ What he said.

Also correct me if im wrong but the 1993+ MR2s also put out more power.

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
1,719 Posts
Just from my experience after having driven NOTHING but MR2's from '85-"05 you will not be disappointed with an MR2T. Realiability is above par but do not push the CT26 above 16psi because thats out of its efficiency range. Do the basic APU's but like MR2.2Liter said the best mod you can do to an MR2 is an EMS even on a stock MR2.

In the handling dept put some good springs, struts, roll bars and wheels/tires on it and you will run circles around most cars. Oh and put a good set of bushings on her and its amazing! The threshhold braking is phenomenal as is the steering response.

With just APU you can be in the mid to low 12's easily.

Gregg

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
1,719 Posts
RedBeauty84ZX said:
^ What he said.

Also correct me if im wrong but the 1993+ MR2s also put out more power.
No all USDM MR2T's are rated at 200hp and 200ftlbs as we only got the GenII motor here.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
DaRicer,

Haha, seems we're in the same boat, but for slightly different reasons! Get this:

I started with an Mr2-Turbo, moved down to an MKI Mr2 NA for a while, then bought a "Prestine" (like yours) 94 Rx7 that ran flawlessly, then....now have a MKII Mr2 NA.

So how do the four cars compare? WELL: I've only driven my Rx7 and the recent MKII Mr2 NA (as of yesterday) at the Autox...the other two (MKII Turbo, and MKI NA) didn't see any racing days.

First things first: The Mr2 is a Toyota. I know this is an opinionated paragraph but let me just divulge the fact that the Mr2 will not compare to the Rx7 from any viewpoint whatsoever. The pop-up lights are more "Harsh", the front view is "Probe", the rear view is "Hamburger", the inside is "Plain-Jane-Toyota". The Rx7 is/was inspiring from almost any angle IMHO, and I miss that...

However, like you, I sold my Rx7 because it was "too nice" for me to race and half-daily-drive, more or less because of my pocket. I can only afford to do/fix so much. So I sold my $14k Rx7 and spent $3k on a higher mileage MKII NA knowing it should be pretty reliable. I didn't need the speed or worse gas mileage of a turbo, I just wanted to turn fast on the road and autox. I'm still trying to save towards an LS1-FD in the farther future....

My AutoX seat time with the FD was awesome. Granted; I had R-compound tires on a second set of stock rims, standard ABS, Hawk HP+ Pads, Strut bar, koni Adjustable struts and a Racing harness on a roll bar. My FD ran great (10-8-10 boost pattern) and that first day at the AutoX made me super-appreciate all I could enjoy of it. The balance and road feel is pure bliss. I knew and could predict a lot of things in that car when it came to traction, after 2-3 runs of figuring out the difference of R-Compound tires of course....

So yesterday I got to AutoX (same club, same place, different track setup obviously) my Mr2. Now, my mr2 just didn't cut it... :( ...I can't believe how much "UNDER"steer (yes...understeer) the car gave me. I brought my good friend (instructor) with me and he laughed and said "You're driving too fast: This car doesn't brake like your Rx7 did. Slow down". Between having stock brakes and stock stupid all-season tires....the car just wouldn't slow down for crap. HOWEVER, I have springs/adjustable struts on the way, as well as R-compound set of tires on rims, plus I'm ordering upgraded pads fairly shortly..so that should change!

The Mr2's advantage being Mid-Engine is also a new "Learning Curve". The car wants to keep going once you start losing traction and bring the tail end around. I know Mid-engine allows faster entry speeds and different braking style, but it's just plain TOUGHER at the AutoX. I had to remember to NOT let off the throttle & counter steer when losing it...it actually makes more sense (and works..) to keep a level throttle while correcting. If you lift off, the engine lifts up and pulls the car further around.

It's a given: Both cars are 2700-2800 lbs. Both are known for being very well balanced cars. Both can get to 300rwhp+- fairly "easy". However, the Mr2's wheelbase is shorter and the power is different so I've always considered it more of an AutoX, Road Go Kart whereas the Rx7 is the best of all worlds. It's set to compete with Vette's & Supra's at the roadcoarse but also hold it's own on the tighter AutoX style setups. Both cars can do both though....

You trade the reliability of a Toyota to simply the maintenance of an older car. T-tops will leak, window motors may go...etc. etc. The difference in 93+ Mr2's is enough to warrant a better price and being saught after, much like the 94-95 Rx7's vs. the 93's. However, most of the upgrades are easily done to a 91 with new suspension, different alignment settings, aesthetic upgrades...but the LSD/Tranny issue is the hardest to make up for.

I'd say: Go for a CLEAN 93-95 Mr2, completely stock. Upgrade the suspension to Adjustable Struts/H&R springs or a coilover setup. Get a dedicated set of stock rims with racing rubber, and buy some nice 16-17's for the street. You could also look for a JDM equipped Mr2, which will have nearly the same stock HP as the rx7.

In the end; I still want to return to the Rx7. I feel it's greatest problem is resolved by the awesome NA power of the Ls1. I rode in a z06 at the track yesterday, it was A W E S O M E. He was a national champion and had the best numbers out there, against any 1800lb honda, miata, or little go kart funny car. To imagine that power plant in the beauty of Mazda's FD chasis is just uncanny to me.

I do LOVE the piece-of-mind of driving/having a car you don't care as much about, in regards to the Mr2. I don't mind hitting a cone, and I also don't have to worry about if the car will make it home after the AutoX session. You can't even put a dollar amount on that right there...

LOL Sorry for the long thread...I guess I just have a lot to say because it's the only 2 fun cars I've driven. Toyota's Mr2 and Mazda's Rx7 :)

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
DaRiCEr said:
I've been looking around for a RWD car that I can make a track car while driving it on the street. There are a few things I am looking for in this car. Reliability, Great Handling, Power, and Appealing Aesthetics...

I would like something reliable, I know reliability goes hand in hand with maintenence and car care..but you guys know what I mean. I always control the throttle in my RX-7 because somewhere in the back of my mind, I am always afraid of blowing the engine. That is not something I want hanging over me.
If you wish to fulfill your goals and achieve true spiritual enlightenment, you will do exactly as I say. Purchase an FD shell and do an LS1 swap, or go over to to http://www.torquecentral.com/index.php?s and buy one of the LS1/LS2/LS6 FD's that are for sale. Get a FC, FB, or non-pristine FD shell if you are worried about messing up a pretty car at the track.

Luke: But is the dark side stronger?
Yoda: Stronger, yes. More reliable, yes. More fuel efficient, yes. And it also has more torque...
Luke: [email protected]#%...

Your FD was beautiful BTW :)

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Go figure, the one guy I envy has to post here, who's sig automatically sparks a deep jealousy within me I call..."Hell Spawn"... :urowned:

Depending how much you got for your FD you could do the LS1-FD swap, I know "Swap" already takes some piece-of-mind out of the equation considering reliability but its a "reliable" chasis with a "reliable" driveline in the end...so long as your ducks are in a row once you finish...

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
^^ lol Phoenix :) You will have an LS1 FD eventually man, and the wait will make it that much sweeter.

BTW I daily drive mine along with alot of other people with swaps without incident. Alot of new people ask on torque central if the swapped cars are reliable for daily driving, and the answer is an overwhelming "yes" :)

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Hellspawn: Do you find that IRS is more of a negative or positive thing in reference to the overall dynamics of the car...

Is the loss of traction launching the car made up for by the handling characteristics of an IRS equipped car?

Rather- Have you driven a normal LS1-Vette to compare the difference to? I mean, I know there are other variables than just that difference...

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
IRS is definitely positive, if I were only drag racing I might have a different opinion. Haven't drag raced it yet but I haven't noticed any wheel hop (although some others have) and the previous owner did an 11.2 @127 with a crappy 1.8x 60ft.

I haven't driven a vette so couldn't compare :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts