Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have a mk4, and have just finished installing an Autronic SMC stand alone system, that runs wasted spark. I have also installed a MSD Dis-4 unit and kept the standard toyota coil packs.
The car ran very well until half way through our dyno session when it started to have misfire issue and a cut occuring around 6500-7500 depending on boost.

It was really strange as most of the time it felt like a premature rev limit sort of cut, but all settings where obviously checked and re-checked.

My question was has anyone had similar or any problems with running an MSD in wasted spark setup with the standard coils?

Also, I was thinking of changing to MSD blaster twin prong coils x3 and just running leads.
Has anyone had experience with this sort of setup, and have any feedback. Positive or negative??????

The car will hopefully be pulling around 800hp at the flywheel with the TD06-20g's and race fuel.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes, I run my original coils on MSD DIS-4HO with AEM with no problems at all. Did you rewire the coils with decent wire to the MSD? Does the MSD have a good 12v source and good ground? Is your engine ground well and in several places? What plugs are you running and at what gap?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
turboandrew, Thanks for the reply.

When you say rewire the coils with decent wire, which section do you mean?
I have the standard coil plug wires for about 2 inches b4 joining to the MSD wires in its loom. Running one of the 12v wires to 4 of the coils, and the other one to the other two(in batch fire arrangement)
The MSD solid 12v is wired direct to the battery cable that runs from the back of the car.
The trigger is wired through a separate relay.
Have you noticed if voltage during operation has a big effect?
I have noticed that the volts drop down to 12.5v every so often, max voltage is around 13.3v.
Is the MSD being in the footwell a problem for interference. It is about 2 ft away from the ECU thou. Where have you placed yours.
Do you run the standard ignitor module? As I have done away with it during the complete removal of the standard wiring loom.
The engine is only ground through the original ground wire.
Should I run another? If so how many have you got, and where abouts?
I am using NGK copper plugs (we use different codes) with a 7 heat range. Tried gaps between .9 and .7 mm. Didnt make a difference, which did seem strange.

How much better did your spark become when you installed the MSD?
How much power are you pushing?

Any info regarding what you have and what made differences is much appreciated.

cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts