Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Automotive Technician
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have an MSD 6AL Hooked up right now with the tach adapter that msd offers for toyotas(8910-EIS i think) It is coupled witht a new dizzy cap and rotor and msd super conductor wires and iridium IX plugs I hooked the msd Up correctly with a Blaster 2 coil and all appropriat connections but i still have a fluttering tach. If anyone has experience working with this ignition on an MKIII please let me know how i can get my tach to not bounce around at idle.

·
SupraStore.com
2,134 Posts
All I can say is double, triple check your connections and the instructions. It seems you fell for a bunch of myths by buying all of that MSD stuff and Iridium plugs, especially if your Supra has a distributor. Worse case scenerio I say move everything back to new OEM stock the way it was meant to be built and engineered.

·
Automotive Technician
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im sorry but despite your opinoins i have had this setup work on my two previous cars( 1989 Dodge Daytona ES and a 1990 Toyota Celica St) and have worked great: better performance, better idle, and slight boost in fuel mileage. and I did all of my connectiomns right with using butt connectors and the such I did not just buy this stuff because of myths. It actually works like adventized. I ahs the msd laying around and i bought the plugs and wires because it needed them and i decided to do the msd because i had it. Basically the car drives and performs better now, and all i want to do is figure out why my tach bounces around at idle.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
Hello S.S.,
If the engine runs fine, then incorrect or faulty tach adapter; or the wiring may be at issue. For best ignition performance, I'd recommend soldering/heat-shrinking the connections instead of standard butt connectors. If you don't want to solder, there are also anerobic wire splicers availble that utilize conductive gel.

Good luck!

·
Automotive Technician
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I contacted MSD About my problem. Here is what they suggested:

Sir,

If the tach settles down it sounds like you are getting some electronic
noise in the system. Use some dielectric grease on both ends of the
plug wires and use a VERY thin coat of it inside the cap on each
terminal. This will help that problem.

Thanks,

MSD tech

Now where can i get some dielectric grease from?

·
MK3 Owner For Life
1,822 Posts
Im having problems with my 8920 tach adapter, Im using it with my 1JZ ignitor. It Works fine but when i turn on my headlights or A/C it drops to zero or goes nuts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts