Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Boost Junkie
12,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K.,

I am going to post this because hopefully some guys have been using them long enough to know. I have a set of these 255/50/16s on Rx7 wheels and planned on only using them at the track, however, this means I have to drive the car 100 miles each way with them in the passenger seat. I really don't want to do this.

My question is would it be O.K. to drive with them on the car to the track-keep in mind this is all highway miles-200 round trip? I will not be doing any sort of burnouts or anything on the way, just taking it easy. I know there are soft and may not last too long because of that, but if I take it easy am I really going to wear them out driving on them? How do they wear for those that are using them? Let me know your opinions.

Steve K.

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
i drove around on mine for over 300 miles of street driving and 3 street races, 3 passes at the track and then i sold them with alot of tread still on them..

they'll be just fine.. just run normal pressure when driving on them(33-34psi)

i usually drove around at 25 psi.. but for a long trip like your taking, i would run the higher psi..

jay

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
ScrewDrvr said:
its just a tire dude, sure its alot softer, but it wont wear like crazy like i think your assuming.
very true:D

i also forgot that my tires were used when i bought them... so they already had over 500 street miles on them and 20 plus passes...

jay

·
Boost Junkie
12,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I know they are just a tire. But you hear all of these "stories" of how sticky they are and how fast they will supposedly wear out. Just wanted to get some people's opinions whom have actually used them.

Steve K.

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
They will be fine. I have drove my car 150+ in 2 days with them on, and they still look great. BTW, hands down best low budget drag setup out there..... RX7 Rims+ ET Radials

Jason

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Silver Orchid SP60 said:
Arent the RX-7 rims a bit narrow for those tires?
Nope, they fit perfect. My 60ft went from a 1..92 to a 1.80 by switching from my old BFG's. I think they are perfect for a BPU car. Al runs them on his 2835 car, and they hook great also. Although he is using N/A rims.
Jason

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
F&H Performance said:
Hows the traction with em jay?
the 2nd set i had(26inches tall/275/50/15) were great on the street.. with 22-24psi in them if i was rolling in 1st gear at about 3500rpm and punch it, i could feel the tires spin ever so slightly and then just grab... and that was in 40 degree weather with no burnout and the tires were cold to touch;)

the 28's(275/60/15) i had on the car worked great at the track but i never got a feel for them on the street(this is the used set i first had) as far as tire pressure,burnout length.. i ran a mustang one night and spun through 1st and half of 2nd, but that was mainly due to the lack of comunication between my brain and right foot:D i saw my $$ getting away and didnt want to lift..luckily i ran him down up top cause he had issues with his nitrous:)

we just bought a set of the m&h radials for a customers car.. they have a real soft sidewall for some reason.. they are nowhere near as stiff as the et street radials...i'm thinking about trying them when i buy another set of wheels..

jay

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Jay,

What size are those M&H's? Your guy might be the first one to actually run them! A lot of guys ask about them, but have seen no results so far.

I was really interested in the 28" 275/55-16 size, but decided to stick with the 26" size for now.

Al

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
T6Rocket said:
Jay,

What size are those M&H's? Your guy might be the first one to actually run them! A lot of guys ask about them, but have seen no results so far.

I was really interested in the 28" 275/55-16 size, but decided to stick with the 26" size for now.

Al
lol..390/45/15:D

the car there going on wont be done and running for a couple months since it getting totally redone.. if i can decide on some wheels i will probably buy a set and see how they work..
jay

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
jaynite said:
lol..390/45/15:D

Hmm...I can test those monsters now if you'd like :D

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
HotSoup said:
Nope, they fit perfect. My 60ft went from a 1..92 to a 1.80 by switching from my old BFG's. I think they are perfect for a BPU car. Al runs them on his 2835 car, and they hook great also. Although he is using N/A rims.
Jason
NA rims are 16x9, 1" wider than RX7. How much grinding do you have to do w/ an RX7 rim?

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Ex5.0 said:
NA rims are 16x9, 1" wider than RX7. How much grinding do you have to do w/ an RX7 rim?
None on mine, although it seems like it is hit and miss. Some people they fit fine, and others have to grind some off the caliper.

Jason

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Would the M+H tires be better than the MT radials on the 6 speed trannies in terms of shock absorbing qualities because of the softer sidewalls?

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
Grumpy said:
Would the M+H tires be better than the MT radials on the 6 speed trannies in terms of shock absorbing qualities because of the softer sidewalls?
could be, i wont say for sure since nobody has tried the.. these are so soft we hand mounted them.lol.. i stood on the sidewall and they popped on them wheel;) i could'nt do that with my et street radials.

jay

1 - 17 of 17 Posts