Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it is the 4th time that my head gasket goes in 30 days.
Both block and head are perfect, head gasket is a FM/Payen, and new stock head bolts . This time i was driving with 90 miles, no boost,and the temp went in red suddenly.
The car has a kn cone filter and a 3 inches exhaust, spal
Got any idea before i put it on fire ?

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
did you remember to retorque your head bolts?

its always recommended that you retorque you head bolts, bro.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did 75ft/lb last time ,i thought i would try that

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
find a new machine shop...try ARP hardware instead of the stockers.

·
On the edge of adhesion..
942 Posts
I know this is going to sound silly but did you put a Toyota thermostat back in the car. If not this may be causing your overheating problem because some over the counter thermostats stick in the closed postition and never open, the engine overheats which causes the head gasket to blow. The only other thing I could think of is the head is warped or the head gasket is inferior. Good luck.

Khris

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
Nightdiver said:
Actually it was torqued at 100ft/lbs:rolleyes:
thats alot of torque on stock head bolts...and u wonder why ur blowing gaskets left n right. :D why you gotta roll your eyes at me?

you bolt them down to 73ft lbs.

drive for like..i dunno 10 miles? enuf to get the temp up.

then take the bolts out, regrease em with whatver you choose to use and then torque em down to 75ft lbs.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
are you sure the HG is blown? overheating problems are caused by a number of things....

your head could be cracked too...

if the HG is shot, i'm w/blackout, find a new machine shop. always get a 2nd opinion. reusing stock head bolts is bad, don't do it. ARPs might be a good idea, but DO NOT over torque the stock HG as it is designed to "squish" a certain ammount. over torquing "over squishes" it. stock HG should never be torqued more than 70 ft lbs...

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well somehow i knew it was going to blow with all that torque, i can smell shit when its close
Time for new headgasket , bolts etc.
Ill check the stat too.
I think ill check the fuelpump too,although the spark plugs look kinda normal.
Thanks for the help guys ....time to get dirty

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Nightdiver said:
Well somehow i knew it was going to blow with all that torque, i can smell shit when its close
Time for new headgasket , bolts etc.
Ill check the stat too.
I think ill check the fuelpump too,although the spark plugs look kinda normal.
Thanks for the help guys ....time to get dirty
Like Drjonezz said... find a new machine shop. When you pull the old headgaskets out are they visably blown? I think you have a cracked head and your machine shop just isn't noticing or telling you.

I don't care how bad our car's reputation is with BHG... 4 in a month is too many.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The headgasket is burned where the water passage is...in fact the ring is in the wpassage now.
It looks like deto though ...dont like the color and shape of the rings

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Bofore you take it apart, have a the engine tested for copmresion etc. That might help you figure out whats up. Its very possible that your head is cracked. My NA head wound up to be cracked, after I took the head off, the HG still looked perfect.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry , i forgot to say that the head was pressure tested and found OK.
There is a deep some times when i suddenly depress the gpedal...may be this gives some deto with high pressure and temps in the cyl.I drove 200 miles after the headgasket replacement.The injectors are clean
Tell me ....are these engines deto lovers ?
Thanks

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
what kind of mods do you have?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No mods,just a cone KN and a 3" exhaust
The T78 on my sig is from my gmc syclone

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
then you shouldnt be in the detonation zone..unless of course you are running really REALLY shitty gas like 87 octane...or overboosting with no FC.

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
its partly because your using a shitty HG...do yourself a favor and buy an HK$ metal head gasket, and some ARP head studs/bolts and torque em to about 80...dont forget about torquing in the right order...if you tighten them out of order, that will cause the hg noty to seal correctly. for torque pattern, check out www.cygnusx1.net and look for the TSRM.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts