Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the two rim halves of a multi-piece wheel get "weld" together? It may sound stupid, but I have never seen a multi-piece wheel. I have only dealt with one piece racing wheels. Say if I buy a 2-piece (or 3-piece) wheel from HRE or some other company, would I be able to see the seam? If there is no seam (no weld), how do the 2 halves get connected?

I assume that one of the main advantage of a multi-piece wheel (from the manufacturer point of view) is the flexibility to create various offsets. Once a milti-piece wheels is made, is it hard to change the offset?

Your help is greatly appreciated,

--Joey

·
Registered
482 Posts
Joey,
I have 3-piece Kinesis wheels and will try to explain it you as much as i know :rolleyes: A 3-piece wheel has,an outer lip,a center piece and an inner lip and they are held together with either a glue or a rubber seal that inturn is further tightened using bolts.Here are some pros and cons of a multipiece wheels
Pros:
1)-Looks cool
2)-Since they are mostly of Forged technology they are not heavy at all.My stock 17x9.5 wheel weighed around 25 lbs and my Kinesis 18x10.5 weighed around 23.68 lbs :D
3)-Easy to repair as you can individually repair all three pieces.
4)-Custom Offsetting which i think is a big plus.
Cons:
1)-Expensive :(
To answer your question about changing the offset once they are made,no it's not expensive at all.Infact i damaged one of my wheels few mths ago and then i decided to go 11".Well Kinesis charged me only $230 for repairing the outer lip and extending the wheel to an 11" too :D As far as seeing the seam goes well you never notice that.
I hope i was able to help you.
Later, Yasir

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand what components made up a multi-piece wheel. However, I don't know how they get "glued" together. For 3-piece wheels, I know that the center (the part with the spokes) is bolted to the first rim half with rivets. The question is how does the two rim halves get "glued" together? I looked at Fikse's website and it seems like the two halves are bolted together as well. Then a sealant is applied. I think this is how it looks like (side view):

1st hlaf 2nd half
*****++*****

The +'s indicate the pin that goes inside the 2 halves. I think because of this, the rim halves are at 5.2mm thick, to accomodate the holes for the pins. Forged one piece wheels are much thinner than that.

I think I will just call Fikse and ask.

Thanks again,

--Joey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts