Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Whoooosh
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys feel about the 94-98 Mustang GT? I picked this forum to ask since it seems supra owners have a wider range of knowledge on cars in general. if I asked a honda forum they'd be partial to v8's and what. And if I ask the mustang forum it would be a biased answer no doubt. I been thinking to get a mid-higher 90's car and the mustang is probably the best car in my price range in terms of performance but I'm not sure about that ford reliability. But you know the most common ford vehicle on the road is a mustang, must mean something right? My friend has a 90 foxbody 5.0 and his has over 350k miles. So I would just like to hear some opinions, some first hand experiences would be better, thanks.

G

·
i usta have a 97gt it was a nice car power eh not ao good i dont think i mean 215hp for a v8 is kinda weak its deff a money pit i spent all kinda of money on mod's and what not and i dident really get anyware i think i made about 280hp with the help of a 100 shot of nitrus eats up a lot of gas too with my heavy foot i was geting 9mpg. othee then that its got a nice intere if you get the full pacage with lether seats and all that fun stuff

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Youre going to hear "Mustangs are shit" here as well. It's like I said in another thread, it all depends on how it was driven/maintained. Goes with ANY car.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
I would go with 99 - 04 models, but 94-98 may not be a bad start if your learning to rebuild 5.0's. My first engines to rebuild were V8's, and pricing on parts were cheap!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Build out the motor and drivetrain put on a 76mm and have fun :)

·
chico,el tiguere
64 Posts
GSXXXguy said:
215 hp from a 4.9 liter v8 :lol: :lol:
actually its a 4.6.The motor is capable of higher numbers,i guess the didn't wanna step on the cobra's shoes (there are differences betwween the cobra and the gt though)

·
Supra hail dent king :(
1,155 Posts
pigbenis said:
actually its a 4.6.The motor is capable of higher numbers,i guess the didn't wanna step on the cobra's shoes (there are differences betwween the cobra and the gt though)

Agreed. the 5.0's (which were basically 4.9's) were 94 gt's.. or 95? one of the two. but the rest were 4.6L.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd stick to the 94-95 in that range to get the good old 5.0l v8. Probably not any quicker then the slow ass 95-98 4.6l versions but I am more comfortable with the 5.0l. 99+ is the way to go if you want a 4.6l or go Cobra and get the DOHC engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a fan of almost all year mustangs.

94-98 cars are good ones, but which year you get depends on your overall goals.

5.0 motors are solid and actually pretty reliable - until you go up to around 450 rwhp. Then they blow up. A nice heads/cam 5.0 motor will get you around 300rwhp - enough to run solid 12s all day.

By contrast, the 4.6s dont respond quite as well to heads/cam upgrades. However, the Romeo and Windsor 4.6l blocks are proven to handle BIG hp numbers. If you wanna build a 600-700 rwhp FI car, get a 4.6, replace the pistons and rods, and have fun.

It all depends on your goals. I like mustangs because while they certainly have problems, they are cheap to buy and cheap to mod. Engines are actually pretty reliable and while they are common, a simple lowering job and an nice set of rims makes a mustang look mean.

Give us more info on your plans/goals and we'll be able to better address your questions. :)

·
Whoooosh
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plans/Goals: Get my hands onto better displacement and more muscle (i'm pretty bored of my 1.6 litre 4age Mr2)but I might sacrific the fun value, this is also another thing, is it "fun" to drive a mustang? In my mr2 I give more attention to driving since it is more interesting to drive rather than an automatic rav4, learn more about these engines, cars, and possibly the culture, probably weekend warrior and weekday worker. Plus the parts are cheaper than trying to make a mkiii operate.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
My Mom has a 98 Mustang GT conv. The thing is such a slow piece of shit. It's always having some type of problem.

·
Whoooosh
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RossoCorsaItaly said:
My Mom has a 98 Mustang GT conv. The thing is such a slow piece of shit. It's always having some type of problem.
that's something Im afraid of, Ford quality :ugh2:

·
:)
1,171 Posts
My top five choices for Mustangs in the $5000-$15,000 range area.

1- 96-98 Cobra $10,000 - $15,000+

2 - 94-95 Cobra $5000 - $9000

3 - 91-92 LX 5.0 Coupe $4000 - $7500

4 - 99-04 GT $8000 - $15,000+

5 - 94-95 GT $4500 - $7500

Mustang aren't really known for being unreliable. I'm not sure how much you want to spend. But you may want to look at 98-00 Z28's also.

The era of the monster street boosted Mustang has begun. That scene has blown up lately. I've never seen so many boosted stangs in my life. Look at mustangwolverine on this site. He's dynoing 700+RWHP on 14psi. Just saw another 99+GT with a blown and juiced SOHC putting out 800+RWHP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
look into 94-97 Z28 camaros. I might be a little partial, but i was shopping mustangs before i got my Z. almost a litre more displacement and a good 280 HP. LT1 is easy to mod too.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,124 Posts
I have a 98 Cobra w/ equivalent Roush Stage 2 upgrades (minus gaudy body kit) and love it. Go for the Cobra if you can, just a little more special to own. They're numbered and have handbuilt engines. 96-98 Cobras have a healthy 305hp stock.

Just go out and test drive one to see if you like it.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
davidX said:
Build out the motor and drivetrain put on a 76mm and have fun :)
Couldn't have said it better! Except maybe with a 101 mm ;)

·
Registered
823 Posts
I own a 99 GT with about $2k in parts.

Steeda
Short shifter
Lowering springs
Strut tower bar
Sidewinder stripes and logo package

MAC
Cold air intake
Off road H-pipe
Cat back 2.5-3.5

Diablo Sports Chip

Ford Racing 3.73 Gears

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
dave_id said:
How do you guys feel about the 94-98 Mustang GT? I picked this forum to ask since it seems supra owners have a wider range of knowledge on cars in general. if I asked a honda forum they'd be partial to v8's and what. And if I ask the mustang forum it would be a biased answer no doubt. I been thinking to get a mid-higher 90's car and the mustang is probably the best car in my price range in terms of performance but I'm not sure about that ford reliability. But you know the most common ford vehicle on the road is a mustang, must mean something right? My friend has a 90 foxbody 5.0 and his has over 350k miles. So I would just like to hear some opinions, some first hand experiences would be better, thanks.
215 blazing Horse power of complete dog shit

1 - 20 of 53 Posts