Supra Forums banner

Mustang Manual Steering Rack?

11K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Yawgmoth 
G
#1 · (Edited)
I have read on MA70.com that one of the guys is using the Mustang fox body manual steering rack. How easy is this mod?:uzi: :fruit:

#2 ·
No one has a write-up on it. Apparently the tie rod ends need to be cut/welded or you need to use some sort of adapter (mustang is standard thread pitch, supra uses metric) The rack itself apparently bolts into place, so it shouldn't be a huge problem.

MAXX apparently sells a kit, but I have not recieved a reply to any of the emails I've sent inquiring about price and availability

#6 ·
I put the steering rack of an RX7 in my supra. I used the supra tie rod ends and welded them to the rack of the RX7. In addition I had to fabricate custom brackets to retain the rack to the frame. End cost was $30.

#9 ·
the rx rack is harder to turn than stock, but after alignment i like it better. When driving, it is a bit more stiff but not overly difficult. It feels like a roadster. I do have a better "feel" for the road, and components are SOOOOOOOOO much easier to access and troubleshoot with the AC and PS out of the car. With the charcoal canister removed as well, I can change the oil filter by reaching in from the top. Easy money and no oil down my arm. (Changing it when the engine is hot is a breeze now.)

#11 ·
Re: Maxx cinversion

sccasupra said:
I talked to John at Maxx today, He said that the conversion done through them is about 1,000. If there was a group or bulk deal, they could make it much cheaper.
Can they do a kit? I don't want/need them to do the work, nor do I want/need to buy the rack from them -- just whatever is needed to adapt it for the mk3

G
#15 · (Edited)
Its a $1,000 for a performance Mustang rack, the install kit and all the labor. And yes they can do a kit. If we who all want this, buy in a group it would save us a bunch of money/ For a one time buy it is about $650 with new ball joints and tie rod ends.

G
#17 ·
What is the rack length of the Mustang unit where the inner tie-rods attach? Is it the same as the Supra one?

If it isn't the same, it will induce bump steer. Just something to keep in mind.

#18 ·
Honestly spending 1K on a manual rack for a Supra seems a bit silly. I could see $500 for a rack or even $600 since the Flaming River racing rack is $450 new... 1K just seems like someone is taking advantage of the situation. Go buy a reman rack from your Toyota dealer for $350 and dump the $650 into something else on your car. You'll be glad you did too. Don't make me point at you and laugh for spending that much on a manual rack...

- Hams.

#19 ·
SuypraTrey and MAXXAUTOWORKS is where I would inquire. Also, search.

#20 ·
Just looked, reman OEM rack for my 88 is 222.00 shipped to my door.
Why buy anything else?
We have a heavy car, it needs PS to be fun to drive. (This is not a truck contrary to what the MK4 guys have said... LOL)

G
#21 ·
nah we don't need ps. I took my pump off just for fun and drove around no problem. I did all sorts of donuts and "drifting" and whatever. Work out yall, it fixes and no ps problem you'll ever have.
fuck the mustang rack, get the rex one and do it for 30 bucks if you want a manual rack that bad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.