Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hooked up a 96-04 mustang TPS to my 75mm mustang throttlebody on my 96 NA-T, and when I was checking the TPS min and max voltage on my MAPECU, it was reversed... Idle was around 3000 while WOT was 280.

I used this wring:
-Toyota- -Ford-
Brown/Blk = Black (ground)
Yellow = Green (signal)
Blue/red = Orange (+5v)

(Keeping in mine the NA TPS is naturally reversed)
This is the TPS wiring for the TTs:
-Toyota - - Ford -
Yellow = Green (tps signal)
Blue/red = Orange (+5v)
White/Blk = Black (- ground)
Red/Blk = not used

Should I try the TT wiring method, or what should I do so the voltage isnt reversed?

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I modified the colors below:

I just hooked up a 96-04 mustang TPS to my 75mm mustang throttlebody on my 96 NA-T, and when I was checking the TPS min and max voltage on my MAPECU, it was reversed... Idle was around 3000 while WOT was 280.

I used this wring:
-Toyota- -Ford-
White/Blk = Black (ground)
Yellow = Green (signal)
Blue/red = Orange (+5v)

(Keeping in mine the NA TPS is naturally reversed)
This is the TPS wiring for the TTs:
-Toyota - - Ford -
Yellow = Green (tps signal)
Blue/red = Orange (+5v)
White/Blk = Black (- ground)
Red/Blk = not used

Should I try the TT wiring method, or what should I do so the voltage isnt reversed?

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
You didn't list what voltage you got with the throttle close and the throttle at WOT? Did you use the white/black wire as I noted?

I'm not sure about the newer Mustang TPS's, but my guess would be that they work the same.

Dave

Any advice though, Dave?

Is there a difference between this TPS and the 1990 TPS that you've used?

Did I do it wrong?

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You didn't list what voltage you got with the throttle close and the throttle at WOT? Did you use the white/black wire as I noted?

I'm not sure about the newer Mustang TPS's, but my guess would be that they work the same.

Dave
Voltage on the MAP ECU showed 3000 closed and 280 WOT with this new wiring... stock was 30 closed and 4000 open.
Also, there is no white/black wire, the only other one is the red one which we discard.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I don't know what 3000 and 280 mean, thats not voltage. But anyway, it appears that the newer mustang TPS's are inverted from the older ones, at least those numbers from the mapecu seems to say that. If you can read the actual voltage that is coming out of the TPS that would be better. It should be a low of around 0 volts and a high around 5 volts.

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spoke to Larry @ SP and he said, "Try this, reverse the black and orange wires on the TPS.... see if it starts reading correctly!"

And it did! Problem solved.

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Runs like a champ except I made the mistake of trying out a Ford product on my Toyota. That throttle body has the weakest retract spring I've ever seen. It barely has enough tension to close the TB and at time it'll leave the throttle open at 2200 RPM until I blip it again and then it'll retract properly. No throttle feel at all with my leg. POS Ford products.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thread resurrection: I was having very small voltage readings in the range of .04-.12 so I tried the reverse of wires it made two sparks, so I knew that wasn't right but it did seem to cause something because immediately the tps started reading 4.7volts when I correct the wiring back. To make it all work though I had to oval the tps mounting holes to fit in a reverse position on the throttle body

1 - 13 of 13 Posts