Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I just found something I can't live without. Anyone have any experience with this unit?
http://www.aimsports.com/products/mxl-pista/index.html

Besides just looking really cool, it would replace all of your bulky guages. Also would give you tons of info from your laps. Great tool for improving your driving. There's supposed to be a GPS add on in the near future.....or maybe it's already available. Not sure.
I found this for the install of it but I haven't seen it available for sale.
http://www.mychron4.com/pdf/GPS_105_ENG .pdf

At the bottom of this
http://www.aimsports.com/weblog/
You can see a cool use of the GPS.

·
Registered
208 Posts
We use them in Grand-Am. Great tool for a great price, and yes, it will get rid of most of your bulky gauges for a clean small digital display unit.

As for Data Acquisition, limitless abilitites that 99% of the users cannot fully get everything out of the data = always something to learn.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
yeah. I have one in my car. Along with the GPS logger.

What ECU do you have in your car? It is plug and play with a lot of them...

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah. I have one in my car. Along with the GPS logger.

What ECU do you have in your car? It is plug and play with a lot of them...
Glad you posted! I will soon be installing an AEM. I had a question about how it displays the sensor values from the ECU. Can you switch through them on the MXL without having to hook it back up to the computer? (a button to toggle between different sensors) I think I read it will display the voltage of each sensor, but is there a way to get it to change the value? Like displaying a PSI # from the MAP sensor instead of the voltage #?

Also, how much was that GPS stuff? I think the software allows you to map out a track even without it. Is the GPS logger worth it, in your opinion?

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
The dash will display whatever values the AEM spits out. I don't have an AEM, but my ecu gives the dash "real" values to display. If the AEM outputs a "real" MAP reading to the dash, the MXL will display it no problem. It has an auto toggling feature, and if certain values fall out of what you set as the standard range, it will display them along with a warning light. It displays enough values that I can't see needing more info. :)

As for the GPS, I'll let you know after this weekend. I just installed that part and haven't had a chance to get it on track yet. If it is anything like the GPS systems I've used in other cars (either stand alone or Motec) then I'll find the info extremely helpful.

matt

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Very nice,

CAn compatible too!

·
Registered
590 Posts
we use and sell the AIM dashes and have them in a few cars..the absolutely kick butt for the price..a MoTec ADL dash with similar options turned on will cost you over $6000..Steve A loves his..if you need one let me know..
Eric Kozeluh
Twins Turbo INC.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm using one in a car that I built and I love the thing. Unfortunately, the budget got cut a little short and I don't have all the sensors I want. Mainly shock pots because I'm a suspension nerd. But it's an awesome system with a ton of capabilities.

One of my favorite parts of the system is the static string line, I just like making fun of my driver's in between runs by changing what it says.

I just need to figure out if they had figured out the Nissan protocol that I had sent AIM to find out if I can wire into the ecu in the car.

Are any of you guys with them using the AIM speed sensor? Where are you putting it? I really want to put it on the undriven front wheels, but there really isn't anywhere good to put it and the car doesn't have abs so I couldn't even use the abs splines. And the car is mainly a drift car, so having the speed sensor on the rear wheels would negate most of the reasons for having the speed sensor on there anyway.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
I too had the same issues with ther speed sensors. Its just not a clean system really. Just man up and get the GPS unit. :D It outputs your speed when hooked up...

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As for the GPS, I'll let you know after this weekend. I just installed that part and haven't had a chance to get it on track yet. If it is anything like the GPS systems I've used in other cars (either stand alone or Motec) then I'll find the info extremely helpful.

matt
Well Matt, you have a chance to try out the GPS? Can you post some screen shots of the data you got?

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
we use and sell the AIM dashes and have them in a few cars..the absolutely kick butt for the price..a MoTec ADL dash with similar options turned on will cost you over $6000..Steve A loves his..if you need one let me know..
Eric Kozeluh
Twins Turbo INC.
How much do these MXL dashes cost, compared to a similat Motec unit? Also, can i buy one of these units and face little issues if I was going from stock->AEM-> Motec ECUs? I was under the impression the Motec dash was only available for a Motec ECU, or is it compatible with anything, like this one is?

·
GT-R guy
490 Posts
How much do these MXL dashes cost, compared to a similat Motec unit? Also, can i buy one of these units and face little issues if I was going from stock->AEM-> Motec ECUs? I was under the impression the Motec dash was only available for a Motec ECU, or is it compatible with anything, like this one is?
The data logger is only as good as the software that comes with it. Also it helps to spend some time learning what the data means.

We had a Pi System II in the race car at first. It wasn't bad, primitive , but not bad. It worked. For the series we ran in, we had to chose between Stack and Motec for our datalogging. I have used the Stack dash, and I liked it in a street car, however for racing, and the available features, at a realistic price, the Motec was the only way to go.

ADL2 dash with options was around $6600. Then the harness, sensors, beacon, etc added up to about $12,500 for our car. At that price we ran out of inputs, and needed to purchase another 20 I/O bus. The first software that Motec had for the dash was not as good as the early Pi System II software. The newer i2 software was much easier to use. It was nice in our series, as we had Motec trackside support. We needed it on a few different occasions to get things to work. The Motec dash, we ran it off a few of the Nissan engine sensors, and some other stand alone sensors. You don't need a Motec ECU to run a Motec dash.

The Aim stuff, everyone I have talked to seems to like. People were trying to get it approved for the series I was in. The ability to use the ECU outputs to drive the dash, will save a bit of time.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
The Motec dash, we ran it off a few of the Nissan engine sensors, and some other stand alone sensors. You don't need a Motec ECU to run a Motec dash.

The Aim stuff...The ability to use the ECU outputs to drive the dash, will save a bit of time.
Thanks a ton for your insight! These two statements confuse me, though. If it's not ECU outputs that "drive" the Motec dash, then what exactly is needed for that to get it working?

·
GT-R guy
490 Posts
Thanks a ton for your insight! These two statements confuse me, though. If it's not ECU outputs that "drive" the Motec dash, then what exactly is needed for that to get it working?
The AIM Dash is compatable with the outputs of the AEM via Serial cable. In other words, you dont need to run your own wires . "its driven from the ECU".

The Motec Dash is stand alone. Everything is in the actual ADL2. It needs "inputs" to work. The inputs can come from an ECU - any ECU. Or they can come from stand alone sensors. You have to wire them in though. Every sensor needs its three wires.

A sensor (output) is generally three wires. 5v , ground, and signal. 5 v to drive the signal, ground - because we always need ground , and signal - varible output that is converted by the ECU or dash. The 5 v can come from the ADL2 dash.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts