Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright guys, this thread has been 13 years in the making. Always putting it off because I know how we all hate dead links and unfinished threads.

This is my GS300 - Lexus slogan was at one time "Pursuit of Perfection" so that's where we'll start.

At this point, I have no idea where to start, and how to organize this kaos that is my build.

EDIT: DELETED THE WALL OF TEXT AND REFORMATTED THE THREAD A BIT TO GENERATE MORE INTEREST

Here's a mod list to generate more interest since i've had a few people message me asking what i'll be running

Engine/Internal setup:
Wiseco 8.5:1 pistons with Teflon skirt coating
Eagle rods with 3/8 arp
ARP Head Studs
ARP Main Studs
DIY Modified Oil Pump
BC 264 Cams
BC Springs/Titanium Retainers
Ferrara Valve Stem Seals
Greddy rep intake manifold
q45 throttle body

Turbo/Exhaust setup:
Precision 6466SP CEA Divided .84 A/R Waterless DBB
DIY manifold using parts from PRL
DIY Full 3" Downpipe/Midpipe/Catback with flex pipes
Recirculating tial 44 mrv wastegate with water cooling
v-band connections

Fuel System:
Full E85 Fuel System
Bosch 80lb Injectors (possibly a larger needed)
Bosch 044 fuel pump (possibly a second one)

Engine Dress/Misc:
Custom Catch Can
-8AN Breather lines/fittings
Coolant Overflow Reservoir
Black minitex and wrinkle powder coat finishes

Drivetrain:
Custom 4L80e
Kaaz 2way Supra-Q LSD w/4.08 rear gears
FTI 3800 stall Torque Converter
Custom 3.5" driveline with 1350 u-joints

Engine Management:
AEM Infinity -8 Standalone EMS
Full custom Harness
Mil Spec cannon plugs
Bosch 3 Bar MAP sensor w/integral AIT
AEM Wideband O2 sensor and gauge
AEM Fuel Pressure sensor
AEM Oil Pressure sensor
MAC Boost solenoid
AEM 12-Position Boost switch
AEM 12-Position Traction Control
Custom CAN Gauge via Bluetooth on in-dash iPad

Misc:
Battery Relocation
Fuse box relocation
Full underhood tuck/shave and relocation
Hardline fuel system
0ga feed from relo to the front

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
That entire wall of text and then..... no pics or anything!?

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I cant locate my pre-mod photos right now.

Needing to bring the ride height down several inches, I lowered the car on some leftover skunkworks coilover sleeves I had from a civic.
Not long after, purchased some tein flex coilovers. After two sets of these, I would highly advise against purchasing anything under the Tein brand.
Between Tein being non responsive with claims, warrantee issues, and non response to a better business bureau among a plethora of derogatory
remarks by their personnel – I’m done with them and would hope I could save a few other would be buyers the hassle of dealing with them.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I met some folks on here, and after riding in the cars of Stu Hagen and Mike Syravong, I was again bit by the boost bug and started greatly missing my 412HP B16 civic 4dr sleeper.

So of course the next item purchased was an Aristo motor swap directly from JDM land. I had a lot of fun trying to pick it up at the shipping terminal at the port of Seattle. (read sarcasm) A lot of running around and pleading with the port authorities, followed by paying a lot of unknown tariffs. Save yourself the hassle by purchasing from an importer. Of course, the aristo motors are a dime a dozen these days. This was circa 2002
Straight in a crate FOB

Unboxed

Starting to dismantle

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m a huge fan of well setup brakes on cars. The G-forces you get from good brakes can put a smile on my face.
Now I realize the mkiv supra has superior brakes to the GS, none the less, my plan was to utilize a custom BBK made by me.
I purchased a set of two piece wilwood rotors for a mustang. While trying to snipe them on fleebay, the plan backfired when
someone else had the same idea and I wound up paying a $500.00 max bid which was still a good deal.

I purchased some wilwood calipers after a lot of research. (had a few sets back in my Honda days) Then started making templates to fit the two together using a spare spindle that came with the engine shipment (pic above)
After fabricating the mocked up caliper adapter bracket, I drew it up in acad and had a connection water-jet the adapter plate for me. (Have since replicated these on my own CNC plasma table)

These have yet to be utilized and are sitting in the garage collecting dust...

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While planning for the boost, I purchased a DEFI BF 2-5/8 gauge and made a custom pod since no one made a pod at this time.

Starting with a piece of PVC

Made a trim ring to glass up to

And a test fit to check the angle

First layer of speaker grill cloth stretched over some plastic trim rings that I glued in place with cyanoacrylate

And the result after a skim layer of filler

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Keep in mind that a lot of these parts are sold now, but we have to go thru the whole process together so you can understand how I came to the point Im at now...

Turbo Drain fitting

OEM gasket and other toyota MISC parts from Mark Sherman at Vancouver Toyota

The engine main, rod and thrust bearings

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Got these on ebay, but the seller didn't show some of the damage to the parts. Disappointing. But no matter, because they are gone now anyway...

I sold the purple BOV to a friend since he was going to powder coat it to match his blue oval anyway.

Got me a nice machined finish Tial 50mm bov to replace it

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Started to collect the engine internals

Picked up a set of eagles locally

Craptastic XS Power manifold - Sold later in the thread

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Nice! I love the first gen GS so much. Believe it or not, they are pretty rare compared to SC/IS/2nd gen GS cars...Even more rare to find one as clean as yours.

Pulling up a chair, I'm sure I could learn a few things from you and your experiences! Good luck.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice! I love the first gen GS so much. Believe it or not, they are pretty rare compared to SC/IS/2nd gen GS cars...Even more rare to find one as clean as yours.

Pulling up a chair, I'm sure I could learn a few things from you and your experiences! Good luck.
I got my GS as a Lease/Fleet return. She was in great condition and as of today, not been in an accident and very few exterior flaws other than the dreaded window trim breaking. I didnt like the gold at first, but its grown on me. I like it much better than the two tone cars they produced.

We've also had a 98' gs300 which was stripped down, and had no sunroof. Didnt even know they made those. Then a 02' GS430 which we still have, probably my favorite car that remains stock other than suspension work.

Neither the RX nor IS250 compete in the fit and finish of the GS.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Traded a buddy some labor at his high end stereo shop for an e-manage blue setup with every option for that unit.
Since, sold that for a V1 and then something else...

This mutt of a T-67 turbo from Goldfinger911 with an ITS cover.

A chunk of -8 rail from RMR for custom fab/install

·
Tree Hugger
798 Posts
Subbed! We definitely gotta get a jzs147 WA meet because there are a hand full of us!

Really clean car! Wish my project started out in such condition, and I've thought about buying a better shell but that seems harder than finding the parts to clean it up!

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Got this knockoff veilside intake - did a full thread on SF, though I think I took the photos down recently. Super sketchy, many different pot metals.
...Have since sold this as well...

Heres the top after using a long board, a DA and about $40 in paper to sand it semi smooth...

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Subbed! We definitely gotta get a jzs147 WA meet because there are a hand full of us!

Really clean car! Wish my project started out in such condition, and I've thought about buying a better shell but that seems harder than finding the parts to clean it up!
Joe, I heard your car is clean. Is that not the case ?
PS: We never got to meet up at winchester for us to check out the quads. My streetbike quad and your turbo 700...

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got some 75lb injectors and clips... also sold...lol

·
Tree Hugger
798 Posts
Haha, my shell has seen better days and my interiors not nice at all. But it does have a 2jzgte vvti with soarer R154 and coilovers haha. My quad is in much prettier condition for sure but they both run hard.

We totally gotta do the Winchester trip for sure, have you ever ridden there during the winter? I just got a tow hitch for my GS so I can pull a turbo with a turbo. If not winter, May 2015 is going to be a huge Raptor Rally that I cant miss!

Here's a decent photo of the two

Can't wait to check out more of your thread, all you OG's inspired me to get where I am now.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha, my shell has seen better days and my interiors not nice at all. But it does have a 2jzgte vvti with soarer R154 and coilovers haha. My quad is in much prettier condition for sure but they both run hard.

We totally gotta do the Winchester trip for sure, have you ever ridden there during the winter? I just got a tow hitch for my GS so I can pull a turbo with a turbo. If not winter, May 2015 is going to be a huge Raptor Rally that I cant miss!
Here's a decent photo of the two
Can't wait to check out more of your thread, all you OG's inspired me to get where I am now.
I sold my gsxraptor so I could work on the car, but ill build another when the car is done.
Most of my friends have semi-built 700's so I can get out there pretty much any time I feel like not working on the car.
I rode there in the winter once. Cold as ballz. Wake up with frost on the seat, and worse... in and on the riding gear I sweat in the day before and left out to dry... lol

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So guys, i'm jumping around a bit in the timeline but the moral of the story is - If you want to rid yourself of the sickness, don't go to car meets.
I went to quite a few supra meets over the years, and a few clublexus meets. Here's one that made me want to work on the car so bad that I ordered parts over the phone on the drive back home from the meet...

·
Tree Hugger
798 Posts
Dang that looks awesome man!!! You planning on the Centrailia meet this year?

1 - 20 of 194 Posts