Supra Forums banner
201 - 217 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Hey everyone. Sorry it’s been a while since an update. We have been working on it. Lots of little details. Here’s a short video of her going for her first very short drive.

·
...pop the hood!
1,172 Posts
it's alive!!!

Reactions: Swede909

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
it's alive!!!
She certainly is. We did a rough alignment this week to get hear ready for next week on the dyno. The next step after that will be to get the chassis engineer on it for a day to give his recommendations. Looking forward to next week! :):):)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I didn’t realize how long I’d been away from the forum and never saw this. Looks fantastic! Love the commitment and follow-thru.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
I didn’t realize how long I’d been away from the forum and never saw this. Looks fantastic! Love the commitment and follow-thru.
Thank you! It's been a crazy ride. We're so close now. Next month I'm really hoping to get it out on track for a shakedown. Will be such a great feeling after all these years to finally get to drive it.
We still have lots of development work to do at the wind tunnel next winter so next summer will be just as exciting to see how the car transforms from this year. Lots to look forward to!

·
Kappa Check 1 2
779 Posts
Thing looks like so much fun as is! I'm sure that had to be one moment to cherish at start up, well done!

Excited to hear it purr on the dyno!

-Rich

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Thing looks like so much fun as is! I'm sure that had to be one moment to cherish at start up, well done!

Excited to hear it purr on the dyno!

-Rich
To be honest I was wondering if we'd run into unforeseen issues after all these years. The guys helping me with this build are true professionals and have checked, checked again and then checked a couple more times for good measure so I have a lot of confidence in this car. I'm sure it will provide years of entertainment. :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Yesterday and today the car spent most of the day on the dyno getting the gearbox tuned and the engine broken in. The oil was dumped a couple of times for inspection. We checked all pre and post oil filters for contamination as well as all the magnets for anything abnormal. So far everything looks to be in good order. We won't be pushing anything till July. This week is just about getting all the electronics working properly. A couple weeks ago we found the fuel level sensor would not work with Motec as it needed to be a 0-5v range instead of 0-12v that we had installed. The correct fuel sender arrived the other day so we'll get that installed.

We established that the gearing is a bit tall. I'm running 3.266 gear set which is okay for this year, but I will have to invest in a more flexible solution such as the 9" Ford rear end. With 680 and 710 tires as options for the rear we're well into the 300kph at 8500. I new this years ago as I have an excel sheet where you plug in all the gears and tire size and it showed it would be too tall. At the time that wasn't really a major priority. I already had all these parts so at the time it was a no brainer. I'm considering other options other than the 9" Ford unit. The priority is of course reliability and flexibility with final drive ratios. If anyone knows of a proven solution that bolts to the factory sub-frame let me know.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
We ended up finding a glitch in one of the steering wheel control knobs so we have to ship it back to the manufacturer to get fixed. It'll be back in a couple weeks which works out well timing wise.

·
Inline for the win
4,776 Posts
Have you tried using the Auto TT rear end and right side auto axle instead (3.76:1 ratio) ?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
Have you tried using the Auto TT rear end and right side auto axle instead (3.76:1 ratio) ?
I am considering that as an option. I am also looking at a solution that allows me to easily switch final gear ratios when needed. I'll see how things go as is. The auto TT solution would definitely be the least expensive route to take and still maintain some of the Supra DNA.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Hey everyone. Sorry it's been a while since the last update. We've been working on the temporary body panels so it at least looks like a finished product once it hits the track hopefully next month. This week the plan was to tune the car for power but my tuner has other obligations for the time being. I don't have a firm date when it'll happen. It's race season so everyone is busy.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Loving the updates! Would have been an amazing feeling strating the car up after all those years! A feeling I am looking forward to with my own Time Attack buid! Keep the updates/inspiration coming!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Loving the updates! Would have been an amazing feeling strating the car up after all those years! A feeling I am looking forward to with my own Time Attack buid! Keep the updates/inspiration coming!!
Thanks Dynomite! It was a moment full of nervous excitement to hear her come alive after all this time! The best part is she sounds better in person than I imagined. Now I can't wait to hear her at full sing! :p:p

I wish I could post a bit more regularly lately, but with race reason upon everyone and covid restrictions easing everyone is busy. I'm still confident we'll get her on track this year although it may not be till September. It all depends on the tuner at this point.

I'll post some updates later this week. Body panels have been painted and many details have been completed so things are moving forward.

Time Attack is the first plan for this project. Eventually I'd love to get into some classic racing since she's now considered classic....hard to believe I know. :LOL::unsure:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Some good news came this week. My tuner is flying in next week to finish stage 2 tuning. We'll see some hp next week and a bit more time tuning the gearbox. There's only so much he can do on a dyno. The final tuning of the gearbox and motor will have to take place on the track and I'm really hoping that happens next month latest October. After that the season is over. :( The good thing is lots of work was completed this year and this winter will continue to be an exciting period with wind tunnel work getting done and final body design. Next year she'll be fully track ready, but I'm still pushing for a solid shakedown this year. Will update next week with some video footage.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Last week turned out to be a dissappointment. My tuner flew out but got hung up on another project he's working on and so there went the week. It is very frustrating as this was supposed to be there year and now it's not looking good at all as the next couple of months I don't have any free time. I hate to say it but this project will have to continue through the winter and next Spring will be its time. I will keep posting on progress, but not as frequent given the new timing. On the positive side of things next year she will be dialed in more than she ever could be this year so that is exciting to think about. :):):)

201 - 217 of 217 Posts