Supra Forums banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Administrator
8,998 Posts
This is an amazing amount of dedication good work.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
This is an amazing amount of dedication good work.
Thank you FasTTurbo!! Lots of great appreciation from this forum! The build is really beginning to come together now so we’re not far away (relatively speaking :)) from getting her fired up. We’re getting anxious to hear her! And to see those flames out the side!

The original goal was to finish this project in 1000hrs but I quickly realized there was no way with how the build evolved. We’re approaching 1400hrs and I estimate we have about 400-500hrs left. Possibly more when it comes to all the details. Just have to keep plugging away till she’s done.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Hey everyone. It's been a long winter up here, but we're seeing some warmer temps this week and next week so Spring is definitely in the air! This is hopefully a big summer for this build. I'm pushing to get this thing done and hopefully get her on the track for a shake down.

So back to the build. We have made some progress during the past couple of months, but probably not as much as everyone would like. The primary goal was to finish the IC ducting in carbon fibre. Here are some shots of the process.

Here are pieces of carbon being cut that will make their way into the mold.

Lots of detailed massaging has to be done to ensure there are no ripples that would easily show once completed.

Vacuum in process

After the vacuum process we're left with this.

Next we trim all the excess material, glue the parts together and use hose clamps to keep the assembly tight while it cures.

Next we reinforce the seems to make sure the parts don't blow apart under load.

Back in the vacuum bag for one final round.

And here is the result.

Next we test fit the parts to the IC units. Everything looks good and the parts fit. Imagine that. :)

That's it for this edition. We're back on it in 10 days so I should have some updates late April.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Impressive and fascinating work!
I know it the photos and writing take time, but it's certainly appreciated - please keep those updates coming! :)

·
JZA80
3,121 Posts
Thanks for sharing this dream build with us!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
Impressive and fascinating work!
I know it the photos and writing take time, but it's certainly appreciated - please keep those updates coming!
Hey, thanks! I’m hoping I’ll have more frequent updates throughout the Spring as we inch our way closer to the finish line. I don’t think I’ll have time for a wind tunnel test till next winter, but I’m okay with that. My goal is to get the car fully assembled mechanically and tuned and on the track at some point this summer. The body will be a separate finishing project. We’ll see what happens over the next few months. Maybe the winds will change.

·
Boost Junkie
12,646 Posts
WOW! Amazing build. Can't wait to see it finished.

Steve

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Very nice! I haven't seen this car either. Great looking car! Thanks for sharing.

·
Supraddict
1,152 Posts
Very nice! I haven't seen this car either. Great looking car! Thanks for sharing.
My pleasure, looks like a great build like yours. Appears it's from France, searching the driver's name "Marc Louail" brings up some more info

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
My pleasure, looks like a great build like yours. Appears it's from France, searching the driver's name "Marc Louail" brings up some more info

Yeah it’s a very nice build. Great track car. There is a substantial difference...not trying to take anything away from that build. For instance the subframes are stock location which is the main difference. The wheels appear to be 26”. It’s hard to fit anything larger under the fenders without really messing with the suspension geometry unless the ride height is kept up a bit and one compensates with bodywork that makes it appear as if it’s low. Other than that yeah some similarities. I like the manual sequential gearbox. I almost opted for that, but settled on paddle as I’m going for all out speed.

It has a lot of the 90’s look to it which is really cool to see! I really miss those years of racing. It’s trully the golden years of motorsports. ?

Looking closer it looks like staggered wheel sizes. Probably 25” up front and 26” in the back.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I forgot about this build and I am super pumped to see more updates coming in! Really impressive to see the carbon fabwork….well, all the fabwork is rad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This has got to be one of my favorite builds I've ever witnessed. Waiting for updates is nearly painful! Thanks for going to such lengths with a project like this.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
This has got to be one of my favorite builds I've ever witnessed. Waiting for updates is nearly painful! Thanks for going to such lengths with a project like this.
Thank you for your enthusiasm!! It's 'nearly' just as painful for myself as well. :) We've been busy with unrelated things the past couple of months, but we have made some small strides as I will post shortly. In perfect hindsight I probably should have started this thread later in the build when it was nearly completed to keep the content updated more frequently, but I honestly thought we would be further along at this point. It's just the way things go sometimes. Life gets in the way. We'll keep plugging away till she's done that's for certain. It's an emotional rollercoaster! :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
It's been a long time I know, but at last here are a few updates. We have been working on carbon fibre parts. Specifically the side skirts and dash which have turned out very nice. You may have noticed the carbon fibre ducts we produced for the IC units were a bit rough in their visual appearance. This is mainly because we're not clear coating them. They serve as lightweight functional components where aesthetics aren't a priority especially when you consider their location. Body parts, for example, will be handled with more attention to detail so they look like a finished product. The dash and similar parts will be handled with the same level of scrutiny.

Here the carbon fibre is being laid into the dash mould.

Here we test fit the pieces. So far things are looking good.

Here we are working on the side skirts.

And here is the part fresh out of the mould. From here the part gets trimmed, modified for the side exhaust and venting, and then readied for finishing.

Random shot of the rear. We've also been working on all the plumbing. There's a fair amount of it and a lot of it has to be installed and removed over and over and over again as the build progresses.

That's it for now. Nothing is happening for the next couple of weeks, but I'll be back.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts