Hey Bjorn, I was literally just chatting with a local guy about this project, and wondering myself how far along you'd come since I cleaned out your garage of all the OEM parts that weren't going back in. It's shaping up, really impressive. I may actually have my new track car ready by around the same time yours is done, but in the interim, I would enjoy a closer look at it before you wrap it all up. Another local old timer MKIV owner has been experimenting with the chassis to get it down and make it handle better, so perhaps he'd be welcome as well? I'll stay in touch. Cheers, Phil - Adrenaline Motorsports
Hey everyone. After putting this project on hold to unforeseen circumstances it’s finally back on track as of last Fall. I just had my electronics engineer spend two weeks terminating all the wiring so we are 90% complete on that front. I will post a few photos later this week after visiting the shop. By end of April this project will finally see the motor starting for the first time. It’s been a very long time coming and I cannot wait to finally see this project completed this Spring.
so much to look forward to especially considering the circumstances with covid. Hopefully we will see the tracks open this summer as this project will require several shakedowns I’m sure. We have assembled some great people with incredible experience in professional motor sports to help rein this project in. Stay tuned for updates as things are happening. 🥳🥳
I finally have a few photos, for those interested, of what we've been up to since the project resumed in the late Fall last year. As I mentioned in my earlier post, my electronics engineer will return in March to finish up the electronics and programming so we are on schedule to fire her up in April latest.
So here are a few pictures showing some of the new electronics gear mounted and wired.
EGTs for each cylinder and turbo.
Motec for EGTs
Wiring is coming along, but still much to do.
Engine bay view. Still very rough finishing, but the mechanics are coming along. Not that much left.
Another update! The fact that I have updates to reveal is exciting given the project has been hibernating since summer 2019.
The bulkhead for the cabin is now complete and installed. The backside of the bulkhead has a fire protective, insulated barrier. Hopefully it never needs to perform its purpose.
Another area we spent a lot of time on was the front radiator setup. Tthere isn't much room with a 6 cylinder setup and an angled radiator, but we made it work. It's tight, but functional which is the main goal.
Here the radiator is being prepped with the required mounting hardware.
A little closer view of the details. These are off course custom like everything else on this build. 🤣
High powered fan installed
Radiator test fitted. Looking good.
Another angle. These photos also show some of the charge piping. Like I said it's tight up front. If I recall correctly there was about 80 hours spent just on getting the piping layout done and tested. Looks a bit crude right now, but that will change once everything is done. It won't be a show-and-shine finish given this is a race car, but there's still a sense of pride to make it look nice.
Here is the mould for the radiator ducting. Lots of hours went into this. The finished piece will be made out of carbon fiber.
That's it for this round. I will have another post later this week. Stay tuned if you're interested.
A big thank you to all the great support since this thread was started. And I apologize for the delay. I know many of you were very excited to see this project finish. Sometimes life throws a curve ball. I think we've all been there.
I have a couple more small updates. Nothing major, but thought I'd share.
To take the stress off the exhaust manifold we fabricated a couple supports.
Because of the amount of heat generated with this setup I've decided to send the manifold to Headershield that specializes in inconel shielding. That will significantly reduce engine bay temps.
Another area we've been working on is the tranny and diff heat exchangers. Here's a couple shots. These will be mounted under the car with respective ducting. I'd like to do some endurance races eventually so cooling is a must.
For those curious about the weight. The way the car currently sits it weighs 1045kg (2300 lbs). The expected dry weight without driver is around 1180-1225kg (~2600-2700 lbs). Will be interesting to see what the final weight comes in at.
A couple small pieces to the build. This is going back a few months, but thought it was worth sharing.
The differential doesn't have a built in baffle so we modified the cover by welding in a baffle to help keep the oil on the gear set. Gears can easily overcook in extreme conditions. All the details are in an effort to make a reliable car.
The other item we modified or strengthened should I say was the belt tensioner. We noticed the factory unit flexes under load which isn't ideal so we made a new one that eliminated any flex. The goal is to limit these types of issues throughout the build to minimize performance robbing variables.
Here's a photo of the lower rad support prior to paint.
Here is the steering wheel I just ordered from the Netherlands. There are 10 levels of traction control and 10 maps to choose from depending on track and climate conditions and several other functions we'll be utilizing. It should be here in about 3 weeks. I'll post a photo of the wheel once it arrives.
I'm happy to report that my electronics engineer will be flying in next week for another week of wiring and logic setup. I'm so very happy and excited to have a new member in the team to handle the electronics side. He's a guru!