Supra Forums banner
161 - 180 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
The good news, travel is still aloud for essential work. This is clearly essential. :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
This could be the day we fire up this build for the first time. Still some modifications to do to the chassis harness to steering wheel. There were some communication issues. That should be rectified later today. If all goes well by tonight, we should be able to fire it up.

Here's how she looks at the moment.

·
...pop the hood!
1,172 Posts
maybe i missed it but what hood are you going with. will the stock hood (or do you guys refer to it as a bonnet?) still fit?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
maybe i missed it but what hood are you going with. will the stock hood (or do you guys refer to it as a bonnet?) still fit?
I have a few different hoods to try. It's hood up here. :) I have a stock which will fit, and I also have a TRD and carbon fibre hood. The cf hood has already been modified for the venting of the radiator. This is the most likely hood we'll end up with although there will be some more holes made to properly vent the heat generated around the exhaust manifold. The final design will have to wait till it goes into the wind tunnel next winter.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
We found out yesterday that the rebuilt steering rack leaked under pressure. Just ordered a seal kit from Toyota today. Never know what you'll find till things get powered up. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 · (Edited)
This week ended with some disappointment, but it's bound to happen given the amount of moving parts. This was suppose to be a big week, but ended up being so in a different way. The steering wheel I purchased has a lot of functions and as it turns out things weren't communicating like they were meant to once everything was connected. The better part of the four days the electronics engineer was here, was spent diagnosing and correcting. The good news is that everything was sorted by the time he left yesterday afternoon. Given the complexity of the steering wheel, with all its functions, I'm very happy with the outcome of the week. For the next three weeks roughly the build will move forward, but the engine start will have to wait till then as my electronics engineer has other obligations.

This week we also pressurized all the oil systems to check for leaks. All was well in that regard except for the rack, but that's a simple fix. The engine oil system ended up requiring 20 litres to fill. Guess future oil changes will cost a bit more than usual. :D

Over the next few weeks the mechanical side of things will inch forward as there's lots to do. I'll try to keep this thread updated regularly. Gives me something to do during this dreadful lock-down. :unsure:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
End of another week. We're now into a lot of details so from a photo point of view it doesn't appear like much is happening.

This week the seals in the leaking steering rack were replaced and tested successfully. Another check. The rest of the week was mostly spent on tidying up the rear of the car. Below are some updated photos. It won't be long before the wheels are mounted and now that I mention them I still need to get those painted or powder coated.

Side note: I haven't decided on the livery but I'm leaning towards the current Toyoto GR color scheme which is white, black and red. A while back I was considering orange, white with black accents. I've always liked both sets of colors. Just have to find someone to help design a modern livery using both options and go from there. Anyway, back to the present.

Differential oil pump is now plumbed and the half shafts are installed.

Here's a better shot of the rear sub-frame assembly. Diff cooler and transmission cooler are both mounted and nearly plumbed.

Little bits and pieces completed. Nothing obvious. :) That rotor looks like it needs some cleaning on a track. Been sitting far too long.

Here the peddle box is getting its plumbing worked on.

That's it for this round. Let's see what we get done this coming week. Have a nice weekend everyone.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
These front calipers are something else. The first time I picked up this caliper I was in disbelief over how light it was (2.25 kg or 4.95 lbs.). I'm so used to regular street calipers that feel like they belong on a 3/4 ton truck by comparison.

Earlier in the thread I talked about potentially saving weight by going to an all aluminum block down the road as that would save around 35 lbs. I don't see that ever happening as the cost benefit is not there. Going to ceramic rotors on the other hand would be very beneficial by comparison. Bigger weight savings just in static weight alone plus the rotational mass benefit for less money when all things considered. Price of ceramic rotors have also been coming down over the years so makes much more sense to go that route eventually.

Should have a few updates by the end of the week. So many details now.

·
...pop the hood!
1,172 Posts
it seems this will be a light car relatively speaking considering all the extra racing, performance and safety equipment your adding.

i know you've had to attach parts where they would fit, that said, any idea what the weight distribution would be?

maybe i missed it, but are you shooting for 50/50 or maybe something else?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
it seems this will be a light car relatively speaking considering all the extra racing, performance and safety equipment your adding.

i know you've had to attach parts where they would fit, that said, any idea what the weight distribution would be?

maybe i missed it, but are you shooting for 50/50 or maybe something else?
Good question. I'm not certain at this point, but if I had to guess based on what I know I'd say we'll end up close to 50/50. That is the goal. Worst case I think would be 52/48, but I think we'll be in better shape than that. With the light weight motor being moved backwards a bit, lighter transmission and a fair amount of weight hanging off the rear I think we'll be very close to 50/50. It'll be interesting to see where we end up.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
More updates. The engine bay is slowly coming along. In two weeks we'll be firing her up so she has to be ready. Coolant system was filled yesterday. Not sure about the coil packs. These are the super coil packs being sold a while back. Maybe they're still available. They are suppose to produce 10% more power than stock. Bought them a long time ago. Good thing is that they work but don't know how reliable they are. Will just have to find out.

Notice there is a regulator with filter attached to the valve cover. This is for regulating vacuum. This is a sealed system so too much vacuum could damage seals etc. There's a sensor next to it to monitor and make sure we're within the set range. Any deviation outside those limits will put the system into limp mode to protect against damage.

Throttle body is installed below. Exhaust manifold stabilizer, check. Valve cover needs a bit of paint I see. Oxygen sensor, check.

Getting there. :) :) :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Not only is the plan to start it in two weeks we're also planning to tune it on the dyno. Could be a pretty incredible week if everything goes as planned. :) :) :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
This week we finished off the IC plumbing. It's hard to believe, but after weeks of trying to get everything to fit properly I'm happy to say everything fits! :) :) :)

Here are a couple shots showing the underside to get a bit better appreciation of the challenges we faced with all the plumbing. It wasn't easy. All done through trial and error. The old school way.

One from the front.

That wraps things up for another week.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Found a couple teasers from November, 2019. We test fitted the panels. Gives a bit of an idea of what the final product will look like.

A couple more with tires on.

·
...pop the hood!
1,172 Posts
this build is so insane...i marvel every time i come in to check your progress

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
this build is so insane...i marvel every time i come in to check your progress
Thank you jdm-rhd! I really appreciate the incredible feedback from so many of you during this journey. It’s such an exciting time knowing it’s almost done. The first drive is really going to be something after all these years. 🙏🙏🙏

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
That's some creative plumbing, nice job!

Make sure to record the first drive and upload it here, i'm dying to see this thing in action.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
That's some creative plumbing, nice job!

Make sure to record the first drive and upload it here, i'm dying to see this thing in action.
Thanks Olav! I'll definitely take some video and post it. Not sure at this point when the first drive will be. Maybe in two weeks if all goes well. The first track session will still take a while. I'm guessing July at this point.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Awesome build man!!! Great inspiration for my Time Attack build. Keep the updates coming!!!

161 - 180 of 217 Posts