Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

New to the forums here, but been a fan of the supra since it came out in 93. Anyways, I am about to purchase my supra (after 13 years) and would like some opinions. The supra is a 97'. single owner, no mods, auto, TT, 55k miles on it, virtually nothing wrong with it (except the fact that its a auto). The asking sale is 28k. We are about to close on it, and since I have a couple of days, I would like to ask for any opinions regarding the car itself and the price.
Thanks in advance,
ShinRyu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,848 Posts
Sounds ok. I wouldn't pay 28 though, offer him 2k less. It's an auto. But then again, it's the first owner. If he has all the paperwork and it's clean then 28 is a good price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I tried already. I actually brought it down from 29k. I offered 26k, but he wouldnt budge past 28k...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
Ideally you want to:

1) check the compression
2) make sure you get to start her when cold - see if there is smoke
3) make sure 2nd turbo spools

if they above are problematic, use it as leverage to talk down the price.
congrats. it took me a long time to get mine last year. My more affluent and certainly less hard working friends were able to get their supras many years before i did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They sent me pics of the whole car, I have not seen it yet, but as far as I can tell from the detailed pictures, the car is perfect. If anything, the leather seats are a bit "worn" but who expects leather seats in perfect condition after 9 years.

Thanks again, keep em coming.
ShinRyu

PS: I will post pictures as soon as I can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
sks said:
Ideally you want to:

1) check the compression
2) make sure you get to start her when cold - see if there is smoke
3) make sure 2nd turbo spools

if they above are problematic, use it as leverage to talk down the price.
congrats. it took me a long time to get mine last year. My more affluent and certainly less hard working friends were able to get their supras many years before i did.
What's the best way to get the 2nd turbo to spool? I only driven single turbos.. I expect punch the pedal after a warm-up?

One more question, how do I check for compression?? any tips on this? sounds? responsiveness?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
Check out mkiv.com, there is a huge writeup on things to look for when buying a supra. Basically, after the car is fully warm and driven a while, when you get on it at around 4k rpms (depending on the load/gear etc) you may feel a quick loss of power when the second gets pre-spooled, and then a much bigger rush in power when the second comes on, you will most likely know if the second is coming on (if they have a boost gauge, which they most likely wont if the car has been stock its whole life) you will be able to see this progression on the boost gauge. If you start the car for the first time, look to see if it smokes at all out of the exhaust (this is a characteristic of bad valve seals which is a common problem) but since the car has been all stock supposedely and has the cats in place it should not smoke or at least show smoke yet. If you need anymore info PM one of us, post it up, or checkout that lengthy writeup on mkiv.com.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
honda_s2001 said:
Check out mkiv.com, there is a huge writeup on things to look for when buying a supra. Basically, after the car is fully warm and driven a while, when you get on it at around 4k rpms (depending on the load/gear etc) you may feel a quick loss of power when the second gets pre-spooled, and then a much bigger rush in power when the second comes on, you will most likely know if the second is coming on (if they have a boost gauge, which they most likely wont if the car has been stock its whole life) you will be able to see this progression on the boost gauge. If you start the car for the first time, look to see if it smokes at all out of the exhaust (this is a characteristic of bad valve seals which is a common problem) but since the car has been all stock supposedely and has the cats in place it should not smoke or at least show smoke yet. If you need anymore info PM one of us, post it up, or checkout that lengthy writeup on mkiv.com.
*thumbs up*
Thanks,
ShinRyu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Thats a pretty good price If its got good compression and leak down results, Ive noticed lately alot have been trying to sell their 6 speeds and a few switching to auto.. I did lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Sounds a bit high for an auto, but the price is all in the eyes of the beholder. Ex. to me it might be a little high because I enjoy manual transmissions but it is all up to you and what you want. Good Luck with it though!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AZSUPRATT said:
Thats a pretty good price If its got good compression and leak down results, Ive noticed lately alot have been trying to sell their 6 speeds and a few switching to auto.. I did lol

I will be converting to manual, maybe after a few years. But who knows, I might keep it (auto)..

Thanks everyone for you opinions,
ShinRyu..
 

·
got twins?
Joined
·
421 Posts
Not a terrible deal for a low mileage unmolested example. If you have been looking around and like this one, buy it. You will love Supra ownership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
ShinRyu said:
I will be converting to manual, maybe after a few years. But who knows, I might keep it (auto)..

Thanks everyone for you opinions,
ShinRyu..

A lot of people bought autos with this in mind, and ended up loving the auto and never doing it haha. However, if a 6spd is what you really really want then maybe you should wait because you are close to 30k on this car anyways and it shouldnt be unrealistic to find a 6spd that is just as clean for that price. The price is a bit high for an auto, but if it is clean at least you know you will not be losing much value on the car over the years. Have you priced out a complete 6speed swap to see what you would be getting into? With the price of the car, and a full 6speed swap you may be a little scared at the total price.
 

·
Spencer
Joined
·
822 Posts
If you want a 6 spd I would buy one, coverting a auto will be expensive if you dont plan on doing the work yourself. I would say around 8K for someone to do the job. So for 36K im sure you could find a nice unmolested low mileage 6 spd.

Just a thought

But to answer your question 28K doesnt seem too bad if the car checks out. A local guy had a 94 TT blk auto with 40K on the clock for sale for around the same price. Not a deal, but not too crazy.
 

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
Joined
·
3,866 Posts
If you want a 6-speed then go get one. Because to swap over parts and labor is gonna cost $7K to $12K easily depending on used parts or new. For $28K you can easily find a 6-speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
honda_s2001 said:
A lot of people bought autos with this in mind, and ended up loving the auto and never doing it haha. However, if a 6spd is what you really really want then maybe you should wait because you are close to 30k on this car anyways and it shouldnt be unrealistic to find a 6spd that is just as clean for that price. The price is a bit high for an auto, but if it is clean at least you know you will not be losing much value on the car over the years. Have you priced out a complete 6speed swap to see what you would be getting into? With the price of the car, and a full 6speed swap you may be a little scared at the total price.
Thanks, lol, I am sure people are happy with their autos. I am in NJ so driving manual is a nightmare most of the times. But since this will be my "Its a nice day, let me drive the supra" car, I am not too bothered with it. Besides, getting my hands dirty with grease oil it's what is all about. I am expecting to buy all new parts, and with forums like this, I will be performing the swap myself. I have been collecting docs for a while now regarding swaps.

Besides I got a two year old, and someone has to teach him about cars, especially daddy's supra and his granddaddie's boss charger. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
I just got my 98' TT Auto with 42k on the clock. All stock/mint and 10/10 from what I see all around. It has a clean history and alot of paperwork. I paid just over 30k and feel I got a good deal. What color is the 97? I found out mine was 1 of 26 Super White Auto's made in 98'. I know that isnt exactly accurate but its not too far off either way. I think if your car is a clean history 97' that is all original I would jump on it for 28k. Unless it was Red, but that is just my personal taste.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top