Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I'll give a quick run down of this project... starting out with my being gifted an 89 pickup that had been stripped for body parts (no doors, fenders, rad support, etc) and had a 22re with some serious knocking issues. But I have heard the truck run before knock, and knew that it was a working motor. I then bought an 87 xtra cab sr5 with a 4inch IFS lift, this truck was a few colors, but had very very minimal rust, plus it had all the bells and whistles, sun roof, power everything, cargo light, rear window defroster and so on. This truck came with a ford 302 that someone had attempeted to install (it was a mess)

So i pulled the motor on the 87 and got it ready for paint

The cheap paint I bought did some werid stuff... i will never spray single stage silver metallic EVER AGAIN.... but it actually ended up with a neat effect the I have recieved compliments on... go figure

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I then pulled the motor out of the 89 and broke it down... it had some serious spun rod bearings, the rods were cooked, the crank was possibly junk, even the block had significant scoring.... this is where things took a turn.....

Seeing as I am a bit of a boost junkie with my supra i decided to turbo this thing figuring it would be easy as most of the difficult items like manifold, computer, etc can be used from a factory turbo truck.

Anyways... this is where the franenstein motor takes place. I got a better bottom end out of a 94 2wd, ordered some ebay 22rte pistons, and a full rebuild kit from engnbldr. I then aquired an engine harness for an 87 pickup, a turbo ecu,turbo injectors from an 86 (which got sent out for a rebuild) a used ct-20 and manifold off ebay, grabed a 22rte AFM off ebay too. I used the head and intake off the 89, however had to swap the thermostat housing for an eariler one that has the sensor port. I then decided to run the newer style throttle body as well. I also installed an engnbldr cam, and with the 22re head, I figure around 8.5 - 8.7 staic compression, compared to the much larger 22rte head

The ct-20 got shipped off for a rebuild and the rest of the motor went together
Fresh ct-20 from PT

NO CRACKS!!!

I got nervious with the whole drilling the block thing... so i welded a drain into the pan, and ran a -4an line over from the pressure sensor.

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it all together, fixed the hacked wireing from the 302 swap, and dropped to motor in to build the exhaust, mount the intercooler, and make some charge pipes... That ended up taking awhile.. but its all together and fired up on the first crank!! (well after swaping fuel pumps, fixing a leaking CSI, correcting the ingnition timing after realizing that I installed the dist 180 off)

I have about 150 miles on the motor and it's running pretty well, idle is good, and it moves out at .5bar (7.5 lbs) considering its on factory 4.10's with 35" mtr's

My plans are to swap in my r151 that i bought, do a v6 rear with a SUPRA LSD and 4.88's / 5.29's. Later in the summer I plan to SAS swap the front and put a mild locker up there...

Anyways... here are some pics!!!!

Need to work on cleaning up those vac lines!!!

some attempt at an art shot!!

Yes... The grill will fit with a little modification.. just have not gotten around to it yet (I graduate from college on saturday... so things have been busy)

MY ISSUE... during accel in first and 2nd gear... maybe 35-55% throttle the truck bucks as power cuts in and out... and I can see black smoke (fuel) puff out the tail pipe... it does this regardless of the truck building boost. could this be a TPS problem... I attempted to adjust it but was having some issues with that too!! I thought it was a boost leak, but it will do it going down hill with minimal load (not building boost) If you put it to the floor, and get to about 3500 rpms things clear up and the truck pulls nice. Whats also weird is that 3rd gear doesn't offer the same problem even when i try to duplicate throttle and load conditions.

Anyways... I'm pretty happy so far.. the truck climbs hills on the highway nicely and sounds pretty cool. I would like to thank my buddy tom for donating parts and lending a hand, my buddy's aub and nick, Tim from DOA for feilding a few questions and Troy from Cal mini truck for the same.

Feel free to comment, complain, or question
-Dustin

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
818 Posts
Great truck! Im still looking for a nice RE-T truck. Been my favorite truck for many years. I also want a Hilux(true diesel).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts