Supra Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Olivier Caza said:
I've been reading this since you posted and the replies you post are always VERY interesting. I'm glad you got your car squared away so well. It's one very powerful car, I just can't wait to see what kind of power you'll unleash from that setup.

I like the attitude of getting the most from a midsize turbo by upgrading everything around it, and still have very decent lag and spool up! :) I bet this turbo will be very popular for SP and BL in the next few months! ;)

-Olivier
:lol: Not sure why what I've got to say is so interesting! I agree it'll be interesting to see where it all ends up. The funniest thing is that there's absolutely nothing special on my car - nothing that couldn't be duplicated by anyone with a Supra! If it helps Kean and others sell this turbo then by all means buy 'em! Quite a few of the vendors here have been helpful to me including the two you mentioned.

As to optimizing things - never forget that the engine is an air pump first and foremost. There are restrictions that lower VE on both the intake and exhaust side. Bumping boost ever higher is fine but remember that boost is a measure of restriction and not something absolutely related to HP production. 34PSI means 719RWHP for me now but with cams and a ported head lowering restriction I'll make the same power at a lower measured level of boost - the engine will be more effecient and less air will backup in the intake! What was surprising to me was to see that cams on another car actually lowered the spool up RPM, that was a surprise that I hope is duplicated on my car :D I learned this the hard way on my Mustang with a Paxton - ported heads and intake lowered measured boost by 3PSI but it made MORE power. We see this with stock twins vs single turbos too - 20PSI on one isn't the same as 20PSI on the other. Since I'm not willing to move to a bigger turbo and poorer spool optimizing everything else just seems like the way to go. However once I hit about 800RWHP I don't imagine wanting to go much further - those will likely be dyno Queen numbers anyway. Having more power at lower boost is really what I want - I'll be interested to see what effect this all has on spark timing and fuel. I expect to see less timing and more fuel - we'll see. I have to admit I'm kinda' sorta' wondering what about a 30shot of nitrous might get me in the way of spool too :D

Anyway, as I learn more I'll share it for sure. I'm not racing or anything and this is more a learning thing for me than anything else. <shrug>

P.S. Attached is my 34PSI run vs my T78 when it was set to 1.7BAR with pump and meth. Might be 1.8BAR - been awhile;) I wish I'd had the time and courage to run it full steam on race gas. Interesting to see where the lines diverge. Pretty sure these were both 4th gear runs FWIW. How folks can look at a dyno sheet and "see" spool is beyond me as I know the T78 spools about 400RPM more quickly, Hau can verify this too.

P.P.S. Putting info into the dyno files I noticed that the 700+ run has an altitude of 4500ft listed under conditions. I know that dyno is at a higher altitude in the foothills but I'm NOT sure that is the correct altitude. GRR! I'll take a GPS up there with me next time to verify - the other dyno is only 560ft and I GPS verified that myself!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Grr, darned attachments!:mad: I'll try later <sigh>

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I agree with what was said earlier about lag. This is really not laggy at all. In fact its great for just cruising around and staying out of boost. But once you get past 4,000 rpms its a blast. Anyway great numbers on a stock cams car.

Question for ya since i dynoed at 718 at 26psi what do you think i would do at 32psi?

Oh ya same turbo as you BLKMGK and I have cams.

BTW this is Mitch from aem forums.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Honestly Mitch I don't know. Since you've got cams freeing things up I'd say somewhere North of 800RWHP. There are some dyno numbers posted in this forum from a car just like mine with cams pushing over 800 so I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to duplicate that number. Sit down and figure out how much you're going up per PSI, that should give you a ballpark number I think.

Heh and if I can make this power at 26PSI I'll be doing backflips! :eek:

·
Banned
3,794 Posts
BLKMGK said:
:lol: Not sure why what I've got to say is so interesting! I agree it'll be interesting to see where it all ends up. The funniest thing is that there's absolutely nothing special on my car - nothing that couldn't be duplicated by anyone with a Supra! If it helps Kean and others sell this turbo then by all means buy 'em! Quite a few of the vendors here have been helpful to me including the two you mentioned.

As to optimizing things - never forget that the engine is an air pump first and foremost. There are restrictions that lower VE on both the intake and exhaust side. Bumping boost ever higher is fine but remember that boost is a measure of restriction and not something absolutely related to HP production. 34PSI means 719RWHP for me now but with cams and a ported head lowering restriction I'll make the same power at a lower measured level of boost - the engine will be more effecient and less air will backup in the intake! What was surprising to me was to see that cams on another car actually lowered the spool up RPM, that was a surprise that I hope is duplicated on my car :D I learned this the hard way on my Mustang with a Paxton - ported heads and intake lowered measured boost by 3PSI but it made MORE power. We see this with stock twins vs single turbos too - 20PSI on one isn't the same as 20PSI on the other. Since I'm not willing to move to a bigger turbo and poorer spool optimizing everything else just seems like the way to go. However once I hit about 800RWHP I don't imagine wanting to go much further - those will likely be dyno Queen numbers anyway. Having more power at lower boost is really what I want - I'll be interested to see what effect this all has on spark timing and fuel. I expect to see less timing and more fuel - we'll see. I have to admit I'm kinda' sorta' wondering what about a 30shot of nitrous might get me in the way of spool too :D

Anyway, as I learn more I'll share it for sure. I'm not racing or anything and this is more a learning thing for me than anything else. <shrug>

P.S. Attached is my 34PSI run vs my T78 when it was set to 1.7BAR with pump and meth. Might be 1.8BAR - been awhile;) I wish I'd had the time and courage to run it full steam on race gas. Interesting to see where the lines diverge. Pretty sure these were both 4th gear runs FWIW. How folks can look at a dyno sheet and "see" spool is beyond me as I know the T78 spools about 400RPM more quickly, Hau can verify this too.

P.P.S. Putting info into the dyno files I noticed that the 700+ run has an altitude of 4500ft listed under conditions. I know that dyno is at a higher altitude in the foothills but I'm NOT sure that is the correct altitude. GRR! I'll take a GPS up there with me next time to verify - the other dyno is only 560ft and I GPS verified that myself!
finally starting to see the light heh? :D

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
:lol: I've had an NOS bottle sitting in the garage for years. A mount, a solenoid, a nozzle, some line, and a little programming and I could have an easy spoolup system. When I'm done with everything else I'll consider it... I'd like to hear from others who are doing this on a mid sized turbo before I get too excited. I don't think I could trigger it lower than about 3K so we're only talking a few hundred RPMs here unless I leave it on a little bit - as if I've not alresady got traction issues as it is!

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Thanks for the answer man. I'll go lurk on the AEM forums to get more insight into your tune. :) I'd like to become a DIY kinda tuner like you too! :lol: :D

-Olivier

·
Banned
3,794 Posts
BLKMGK said:
:lol: I've had an NOS bottle sitting in the garage for years. A mount, a solenoid, a nozzle, some line, and a little programming and I could have an easy spoolup system. When I'm done with everything else I'll consider it... I'd like to hear from others who are doing this on a mid sized turbo before I get too excited. I don't think I could trigger it lower than about 3K so we're only talking a few hundred RPMs here unless I leave it on a little bit - as if I've not alresady got traction issues as it is!
even that tiny 30 shot is gonna move your powerband to the left SIGNIFICANTLY!
my friend's 3000GT dyno

blue line is no nitrous, red line is using a 35hp shot. down low that gained almost 150 HP!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Did he only use it for spool up or all the way through? i see a dip where maybe it turned off but the HP numbers don't come down to match the others so it looks like he sprayed all the way or that there were two different boost levels used. Pretty interesting though. I'll have to price out a small nozzle and Nitrous solenoid, it probably wouldn't cost too much and down low I have the injector to support it.

I played a bit more with the switched anti-lag this morning. This time I set it up for above 3K and to pull 7 degrees and add 14% fuel. It seems to work better but I'm not sure it's working so much better that I wouldn't be better off not using it. I need to get some 3rd or 4th gear pulls in while logging to see if it's doing much for me. I suspect that in the end Jason and others will be correct in that it's not worth using in this manner <shrug>. Nitrous may be the better way to go much as I don't want to do it :)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Did you look at the map that Clark and I are using. Try that believe me it barely noticable. You dont need Nitrous.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Mad TKD said:
Did you look at the map that Clark and I are using. Try that believe me it barely noticable. You dont need Nitrous.
Yup, tried it on the dyno. I thought I'd play with the anti-lag instead since it pretty much does the same thing except it only does it when I go past 80% TPS :)

41 - 51 of 51 Posts