Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my Cressida seems to be burning oil, during the last oil change in Aug. I was surprised to find out that it practically had no oil at all, maybe 2 quarts total came out. Ever since then I haven't driven it much maybe 1000 miles since Aug. and I randomly checked the oil today and I had to add maybe 1-1/2 quarts. It's not over heating, no oil spots in the driveway, no smoke and no oil at all in the engine bay. What could be the problem, any help would be appreciated.

-Erik

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
check pcv system and check compression. see the tsrm :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a70 said:
How many miles are on it? My NA was eating the oil due to stuck piston rings and bad valve seals. Glad thats over.
If this is the case, how much does a job like this cost from a Toyota dealership? The car currently has 101k on it.

check pcv system and check compression. see the tsrm
Sorry I don't know too much about the PCV, what is it and what is the factory compression rating on these engines?

Again, no smoke (so i'm not sure it's the valve seals, but will definately keep that in mind) and no oil in the engine bay, someone said that the gasket might be bad?

Thanks again,
-Erik

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
oh my bad, w/o smoke conditions makes this very strange. I have a feeling you've got an oil leak somewhere. Are you absolutely positive there are no oil spots when sitting? Disregard what i said about the pcv system. i no longer think that applies. i would check compression. thats easy to do, just buy/borrow a gauge, screw it into a spark plug hole, disconnect ignition ground and then crank the engine for a few seconds. check guage and repeat. Then add a tbl spoon of oil to each cylinder and see if it raises significantly, if it does... you need new rings, if it doesn't .... your oil doesn't like you and is going somewhere else. probably on the cars in back of you on the freeway.

·
V A S U P R A S
2,341 Posts
Its probably valve seals if your at 101k.

Have someone watch the car when you start from a stopped position. This is usually when the car will put out smoke when burning oil.

also look for oil leaking under the hood. The valve cover gaskets get old and can lead to some leaking.

The real main seal is also a common place spot for oil to leak from.

I did all the work myself so i have no clue on what toyota would charge to do this. I spenyt somewhere around $200 something to have the head machined and new valve seals put in.

·
Registered
140 Posts
hey, i am pretty sure my engine is doing the same thing (turbo though).

the engine itself is a newly rebuit motor (from ProBuilt) w/ about 2000 miles on it or so. every few hundred miles, i check the oil and notice that the oil only goes to the midpoint on the dipstick. i also see no smoke, no oil leaks, etc

·
vvti. what
831 Posts
u might want to check under/around the distributor. mine does the same thing and my engine and gaskets are all new except for the distributor o-ring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts