Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I recently picked up my very first Supra and I'm very excited to get to fixing it up. I'll be putting updates here as things get going and I promise I'll do my best to find an answer before I ask anything but sometimes the question's just never been asked before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I bought this as a non runner for a pretty good price, and have since discovered that the only two things preventing it from starting were the battery being wired backwards at the terminals and two vacuum lines being swapped. The negative cable that should go straight to ground was apparently swapped at some point in its life from a black cable to a triple length red cable that was folded on itself and taped up with black electrical tape. I'm assuming that someone later down the line didn't know this, got a new battery, wired it based on cable color and blew the alternator fuse.

UPDATE: Those two little issues were what kept it from running but were not the only culprits of it not running well. I believe I have a problem with the ISC valve/connector. When cold starting, the car absolutely will not idle, and will just drop to 500 rpm, dwindle down until it dies a few seconds later. The warmer it gets, the closer it gets to sustaining itself, until eventually it'll idle when hot. The ONLY way I have of adjusting idle speed when warm is through the idle adjustment screw on the top of the TB. This does permanently change my idle speed despite the fact that it's supposed to be useless cause the ISC is supposed to control the idle and compensate for whatever the screw is turned to. (Supposed to be turned CW all the way in, I've read?) Since the screw does change the idle, that would mean the ISC isn't compensating the way it's supposed to. I think. But now I'm stumped as to how I'm supposed to test what exactly is wrong with it or even to test my theory.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts