Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
LS WON
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you may have seen my (re) intro post a few months ago, the car is finally complete minus a couple of small things.

Quick recap, I joined this forum many years ago as a 15 year old kid when my parents generously bought me a 94 n/a auto supra. I ended up trading it for an FD rx7 shortly after and regretted it since but could never manage to get in one again. Came close in 2015 but my bank wouldn't finance a car that old so went with an 03 cobra instead (which I loved). Fast forward to 2022, my business is doing well and I've been trying to seek out an mk4 deal for the last 2 years but really did not want to pay the current pricing, and did not want RHD, however I was willing to if it came down to it.

Ended up finding this supra - a USDM 93, 6spd, 59k mile car on craigslist San Diego in a post with no pics. Managed to get in touch with the seller 12 hours later and convinced him I needed the car regardless of the people who contacted him before me.Fortunately he sympathized with me and I was able to get to the bank on Saturday right before they closed at noon. Flew from DFW to SD the following day with a cashiers check (fathers day) to buy the car. The previous owner had it since 2002 and lost interest after his local drag strip closed down so it generally sat for years. Here's a mini documentation...

The cars home for the last 20 years, How I arrived to see the car. Best day of my life lol. I literally sat in a shopping center down the road from his house for 4 hours until he was back home and ready to sell it, I'm sure most people assumed I was homeless
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Dent in the quarter
Multiple Dings and scratches
Faded paint, a bad repaint on hood and fenders
Drivers window stuck down, broken AC
Rear sub removed so no radio
Interior mostly stripped for his drag race weight savings but he gave me all of it

My next task was to drive it up from San Diego to South central LA in order to store it at my buddies place for the transporter + hang out with him for the night. What a horrific but lovely drive ,6 puck clutch, dirty windshield and forest fires

you may notice the trd tach which was a very nice surprise

Vehicle Speedometer Car Motor vehicle Steering part

After battling the traffic and wind in my face, finally made it to Lucas's house in one piece. The car drove wonderfully (relatively) without any issues.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive design

I was still in shock at this point, had a good dinner and prepared to fly back to DFW in the morning

Connected with a great transporter who actually picked the supra up the same morning I flew out, car showed up to me 2 days later - Wednesday.

Sky Plant Automotive lighting Vehicle Wheel

Unloading
Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Wood

Welcome to the great state of Texas...
Wheel Tire Car Cloud Automotive parking light

Got the car washed off to assess the paint and was sadly disappointed a paint correction wouldn't be able to save it. Was hard to tell under the layers of dust. Looked good in pics though.

Continuing...

·
LS WON
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Post wash

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille Hood

Took the car over to my buddies shop so he could knock out a few small items.
Fixed the window regular
AC compressor
Accessory belt
Flushed all fluids minus radiator
Spark plugs, broken coil connector

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

Got to get a good look under it for the first time, overall very clean! Florida car originally prior to SD...
Motor vehicle Hood Light Automotive design Automotive tire

Got the car back, next stop was the body shop where it stayed for 1.5 months
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

I opted to leave the rear glass in to avoid breaking it

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Wheel Tire

Post paint! Yes, I added a spoiler as well as the replica lip. I couldn't find a spare hatch and did not mind taking a wingless car off the radar, really couldn't fall in love with the missing hoop :/

Also added, 98 headlights and 98 taillights (not in these couple of pics)

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
LS WON
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Next up - 18" double concave Volk TE-37's, continental tires (so nice getting rid of the vintage tires), Megan coilovers, alignment, new shifter seal, new timing belt, new front main seal, radiator flush, HKS carbon TI (sold the Veilside), new windshield trim (missing in some of the following pics) and a few small odds and ends.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Cloud

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

No, the Mk5 does not park inside lol. Stays outside under a nice car cover. Garage situation will be much different when I sell this house in 3 years but I'm casually looking to sell the mk5 and replace with a sports sedan.

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

Thanks for reading, I don't plan on storing the car or babying it but would like another to preserve at some point. Big single next year and all supporting mods once I enjoy the factory twins some more. The car is currently BPU with an old school g force ecu, p/o ran a 12.2 in current state. Forgot to mention, Yes! Got lucky with a hardtop

The body shop will be repainting a few areas of the car due to an issue with the base coat in very peculiar light, however it still presents well and nobody has notice but me.

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
Great job bringing her back to life and nice collection!.

Ken.

·
Smith & Wesson Member
766 Posts
Welcome back!

Congrats on finding a Hardtop!

·
Premium Member
Lots of BMWs, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Supras, and a few others
100 Posts
Next up - 18" double concave Volk TE-37's, continental tires (so nice getting rid of the vintage tires), Megan coilovers, alignment, new shifter seal, new timing belt, new front main seal, radiator flush, HKS carbon TI (sold the Veilside), new windshield trim (missing in some of the following pics) and a few small odds and ends. View attachment 280409
View attachment 280410
View attachment 280411

View attachment 280412

View attachment 280413

No, the Mk5 does not park inside lol. Stays outside under a nice car cover. Garage situation will be much different when I sell this house in 3 years but I'm casually looking to sell the mk5 and replace with a sports sedan.

View attachment 280414

Thanks for reading, I don't plan on storing the car or babying it but would like another to preserve at some point. Big single next year and all supporting mods once I enjoy the factory twins some more. The car is currently BPU with an old school g force ecu, p/o ran a 12.2 in current state. Forgot to mention, Yes! Got lucky with a hardtop

The body shop will be repainting a few areas of the car due to an issue with the base coat in very peculiar light, however it still presents well and nobody has notice but me.
Looks great! Good job bringing it back.

·
Registered
1994 RHD Toyota Supra
90 Posts
Next up - 18" double concave Volk TE-37's, continental tires (so nice getting rid of the vintage tires), Megan coilovers, alignment, new shifter seal, new timing belt, new front main seal, radiator flush, HKS carbon TI (sold the Veilside), new windshield trim (missing in some of the following pics) and a few small odds and ends. View attachment 280409
View attachment 280410
View attachment 280411

View attachment 280412

View attachment 280413

View attachment 280414

Love the Te's man, looks amazing. I'm getting ready to head that route repaint mine and get bigger bronze TE27 SL's. keep the awesome revival.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Car looks great. More hardtopgang in TX.
What's the general thought on the over/under on a car like this as originally presented? I'd like to see what others think, if that's ok?

·
Super Moderator
12,374 Posts
Congrats on the factory TT/6 hardtop rescue!!! What an excellent score!

Is that idleboost? If so, yep. He had them ready to ship which helped me out

9.5 and 10.5 +38 and 43 if I remember correctly
Based on the pictures those are +38 and +45.

Volk doesn't make a TE37 variant of any kind in 18x10.5 with a +43 offset.

Reactions: blacksupra94

·
LS WON
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats on the factory TT/6 hardtop rescue!!! What an excellent score!

Based on the pictures those are +38 and +45.

Volk doesn't make a TE37 variant of any kind in 18x10.5 with a +43 offset.
you’re right, +45 is what it is. Just went back and checked

thanks!

·
LS WON
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Car looks great. More hardtopgang in TX.
What's the general thought on the over/under on a car like this as originally presented? I'd like to see what others think, if that's ok?
thanks! Im loving the hard top

my guess was the car could have gotten 80-90k as it was in the current market. I picked it up for 37k, have put maybe 13k into it.

·
LS WON
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BlackSupra94 are you in Texas?
Who did your paint work?
Are you happy with it?
yea,Dfw area. A small, relatively unknown shop in Balch springs did it. It’s a new business with younger guys who previously worked at the Toyota Body shop. The body work they did was excellent as well as the laying down of paint. My only issue is the base coat discoloration on some of the car, which he’s fixing free of charge.

I’d say I’m happy overall with the price and speed at which I got it back

·
Registered
95 1A1 TT V160 & 94 202 BIG🐌 V160
10 Posts
Looking great! How much did the paint job run ya? Looking to get my car back to its mint paint state, paint correction won’t save mine either. 🤙

·
LS WON
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking great! How much did the paint job run ya? Looking to get my car back to its mint paint state, paint correction won’t save mine either. 🤙
thanks! $7000 with cutting the quarter fender lips, wing install and paint and front lip, along with minor dings and dents. Bigger shops were 11k range

·
LS WON
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very nice! Congrats on getting your dream car.

On a side note, what happened to the FD?
Thanks, it's been a dream to have.

I sold the FD in 2005 for $9000 with a low compression motor, it sat in a field for many years with the guy who bought it and not sure what happened after that. Sad ending

1 - 20 of 20 Posts