Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting a lot of requests to post a build thread, be them for inspiration, a good read or just curiosity.

First of all I wanted to thank a few people because without them I would still be NA hahahaha.

Thank you Kyle aka Affixrider for the all the parts you had laying around in your garage which you generously donated to the cause lol.

My dad for loaning me misc. tools to help with the project.

And my fiance Nicole for putting up half the cash to buy the Supra in the first place :hail:. and for bringing me lunch/Rum and coke in the garage while I worked.

Now down to the business. The whole thing started in about November of 2010, I had a 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse that had just spun a bearing and was going on its 3rd motor in 2 years........ :faint:

So as I began to scrape up cash to go big this time. Eagle rods, Mahle Pistons, acl bearings, mls HG, arps, brand new BB turbonetics 50 trim and all.

I was hoping to push over 400hp to the wheels and make a fun yet intimidating street/ light track car. The goal was a clean sleeper where all you would see is the FMIC and the exhaust.

So in December I met my fiance Nicole

, In January we found out she was pregnant :hahano:, in March she got fed up with the eclipse and more or less forced me into buying my dream car, even if I was not going to have the money to build for a LONG LONG time. Now enters the MKIV Supra.

We spent the next couple of weeks stalking the forums and scraping up more money. All the while trying to part out my eclipse, sell the brand new parts I just paid retail for, and trying to cut a deal with the machine shop so I didn't have to pay full price for the work they already did to a motor I wasnt going to finish. The machine shop cut me a deal (mostly cause I had a kid on the way) most of the parts shops like extremepsi.com and dsmgraveyard.com refused to do a refund or even swap them for parts I could use.

Finally in May we found a 1995 NA White/black MKIV with Targa/auto. Car had about 180k miles and was completely stock aside from exhaust, stereo system.... or so I thought. So cash in hand,

my Fiance and I make a 800 mile drive from Fountain Colorado to Omaha Nebraska! I wouldnn't recommend the drive :sleep:...... and as we pull up the Shanes house aka Kadulian what do I see in the drive way, why a newly detailed White MKIV!!!!!!

So we my the hand off I get the keys, and I leave his house riding like a BALLER! while my poor fiance gets to rock the mommy missle hahahahahaha!

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So after an 800 mile drive back home on a mtoor I wasnt sure was going to back it, we got home and I spent the next few months just enjoying the fact that I had a supra. Then september 25th my daughter was born,

We tried to bring her home in the supra but the car seat wouldn't quite fit lol.

After a few weeks we decided... it was time! Kyle and I started sourcing out the parts and little tid bits needed to do the conversion. Luckily Kyle had a t61 laying around from an old setup he decided not to use and generously donated it to the build along with a DP and oil feed lines and his old emanage ultimate from his honda from back in the day.

I ordered some IC piping, found my bov from the eclipse as well as my fmic. I also order a return line, some misc couples and a Turbo blanket to protect my investment.

the van full of parts lol

The first thing to get installed was the emanage, and those thigns are no joke. It took me only a few hours to install but configuring it was REDICULOUS and tedious.

This is where I started noticing some discrepinces with the whole "its never been boosted" thing. The ecu wiring harness had been spliced into previously (looks like map ecu), I found a hole cut into the passenger side fender area (where I ended up running my Ic piping) some hangers under the car where I ran the piping as well and also came to realise later that someone has already done the 12v fuel pump mod already.

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After the battle with the EMU we moved onto getting the headers and intake removed and began to fit the turbo and manifold in place then started to wipe all the years of crap and grime off of the engine bay (I still need to clean the hood though lol)

The only problem we really ran into with the fitment was that the cheap ass chinese manifold from xs-power didnt fit over all the head studs perfectly, we ended up having to remove 1 stud using a pair of vice grips tighened down to 2 nuts and backing it out. Then we still had to open up 1 or 2 of the flange holes with a stepper drill bit to get it to slide over.

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I actually have a w58 and att auto. I might switch to the tt for now and once I find some clutch pedal assembly components yuen switch over.

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
After we got all that situated we moved onto the fmic and bumper. It was between my stock front or the ts style front bumper. After much deliberation I opted to stick with the stock body until I can afford to get the ridox setup. Here are some photos of the bumper and fmic setup and intercooler piping locations.

·
97 HARD TOP
945 Posts
hell yeah bro, glad to see the build thread begin. now i just need to start mine as well

·
97 HARD TOP
945 Posts
i pick up my orders monday and i leave the first week of january as of right now. ill let you know if anything changes

·
Spools VERY Slow
357 Posts
First off..

Congrats on the kid!!

But I love how you saved / ect I'm doing the same with my na-t build. I'm working 2 jobs to keep enough cash flow to bring the thing alive and powerful haha.

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
^^^ ty! Yea its hard to balance cash flow right now but were making it work lol

So after a lot of cutting and fitment issues with the ic piping and one of the couplers I moved onto clocking the turbo compressor, come to find out fitting a t61 with that xs power manifold is almost impossible. I had to get a 45 coupler and cut about 2 inches off of the coupler to shorten it. Then since I didn't have the right oil return flange the a/n fitting wouldn't clear the gap between the compressor housing and turbine housing. I Ended up having to buy 2 fittings from silicone intakes and got lucky as the 45 fit just barely.

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Next up was the turbo blanket and exhaust. The turbo blanket was cheap like 50 bucks cheap! And I can put my hands on the blanket after a 30 min commute from work and it doesn't hurt! seems a little loose but it keeps under hood temps way lower than when it was na lol. The down pipe was probably the biggest pain in my ass of the whole project. First it was completely off so I got it cut and welded, then the guy burned the marks off of it so he couldn't finish. I had to take it home and re mark it just to get it back and the clocking of the flanges were off. this time I'm going to just cut the dp and weld it myself.

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Next was the oil feed line. After finding out that a union bolt is 47$ and that the oil filter housing can be retrofitted with some everyday plumbing fittings from lowes, some imagination and about 4 trips to lowes we ended up making this for about 6$ and you literally can't see it now that its installed and works like a dream!.... We kept forgetting to bring the filter housing so it was all guessing lol.

However to oil line now fits behind the motor instead of the eye sore of when it goes over.

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The first start was great, ran a little rich and awkward but that was ironed out with different spark plugs and boost leak fixs, turns out air ratchets don't tighten t bolts the best specially not on a 5 gallon air compressor lol. Also seems the spot where I had my bov flange welded (by the same guy who welded the dp) has pin holes in it which was made apparent to me by a boost leak test ads some soapy water. It blows better spit bubbles than my 7 week old daughter lol.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Next was the oil feed line. After finding out that a union bolt is 47$ and that the oil filter housing can be retrofitted with some everyday plumbing fittings from lowes, some imagination and about 4 trips to lowes we ended up making this for about 6$ and you literally can't see it now that its installed and works like a dream!.... We kept forgetting to bring the filter housing so it was all guessing lol.

However to oil line now fits behind the motor instead of the eye sore of when it goes over.
I've been there. I think most of my swap costs was buying bolts from Ace Hardware...then coming back to trade out the bolts for another size.

·
Registered
292 Posts
i wish i had the courage to try in rig things up lol, im hoping to just buy a full kit and go from there. most likely will look to a shop for the oil return line. nice right up btw.

cant wait to see the end result.

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now I've tied up some loose ends like the aem wb and boost gauge which I mounted in the factory clock location and I drilled a slot just to the left if it to mount the boost gauge. Also tied in some 6000k hids and finished up my custom sub box that still fits my 12” clairion sub and still fits the targa and my kenwood 1800 watt amp between it and the rear seat.

Also got rid of the stock clutch fan in favor of 2 14” electric fans and I re did my alternator lead and fuse box lead with a 4 gauge power wire.

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lol I owned a dsm for a few years so I was able to learn how to improvise without taking risks on that pos instead of this beauty.
Next I'll make a aluminum fan shroud but in the mean time I went ahead and wired up my walbro pump and I'm slowly gathering rx7 550cc injectors, just need 2 more.

Also eliminated one of my o2 sensors and wired both leads into 1 new sensor. Also built a intake ducting ramp to force more of that cold air from the front of the car into the engine bay hoping to battle knock and iat's.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts