Supra Forums banner

161 - 174 of 174 Posts

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Bought a lift today, and interviewed an engineer about redesigning my trusses to get more clearance.

Attachments

·
GE with boltons ;)
894 Posts
PM me info on the lift. please :) I'm debating getting one or two for the garage.... also have the same idea with the trusses lmao

·
Very Senior Member
10,069 Posts
Going to be hard to do a lot for those trusses. Their strength / stiffness comes primarily from their depth. Is your shop wider than it is deep? I usually don't see trusses landing on a wall with a double door opening - I would expect to see them running the other way.

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
No it's actually deeper than it is wide. I had an engineer come by yesterday to redesign my trusses. Were hoping to get about another 1-1.5 feet of lift in addition to the 2 feet from raising the garage door. If all works out I'm hoping for 12 feet of ceiling space.

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 · (Edited)
There was several reasons why the 4 post was more appealing to me than a 2 post.

1. was because I hate jack stands and the lift arms. I wanted something I could drive onto and lift up, done. If I want to screw around on my hands and knees I would have been born a woman.

2. it doesn't require being anchored to the ground. This was nice because I wasnt sure if my concrete would be up to par since I didn't know it's strength.

3. is portable with the caster kit.

4. It provided more peace of mind when it comes to user error and not having to place the arms under the car each time.

5. resale of the house since I didn't modify the concrete.

6. More points of contact. I'm paranoid with heavy equipment over my head so I wanted something with several fail safes and plenty of balance.

Access to the wheels wasn't a big concern since I've only removed my wheels twice in the past 4 years of ownership and I can still put the car on stands and the drive way ramps. I'm also making a jack tray to hold an air powered scissor jack for occasions where I do want to remove the wheels.

It also doubles as car storage without the fear of hitting my doors on the lift posts.

·
Very Senior Member
10,069 Posts
There was several reasons why the 4 post was more appealing to me than a 2 post.

1. was because I hate jack stands and the lift arms. I wanted something I could drive onto and lift up, done. If I want to screw around on my hands and knees I would have been born a woman.

2. it doesn't require being anchored to the ground. This was nice because I wasnt sure if my concrete would be up to par since I didn't know it's strength.

3. is portable with the caster kit.

4. It provided more peace of mind when it comes to user error and not having to place the arms under the car each time.

5. resale of the house since I didn't modify the concrete.

6. More points of contact. I'm paranoid with heavy equipment over my head so I wanted something with several fail safes and plenty of balance.

Access to the wheels wasn't a big concern since I've only removed my wheels twice in the past 4 years of ownership and I can still put the car on stands and the drive way ramps. I'm also making a jack tray to hold an air powered scissor jack for occasions where I do want to remove the wheels.

It also doubles as car storage without the fear of hitting my doors on the lift posts.
All good reasons!
I relate to #6 more than any!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just read through, impressive build thread, keep it up!

161 - 174 of 174 Posts