Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My '97 Japan Domestic SZ-R - V12 Project

It's a 1997 model SZ-R Supra, purchased in 2001. It's the standard red colour, with generally minor work done to it. A basic set of lip and skirts has been put on giving it a nice squat look.

General modifications include:
Grex 6 Pot & 355mm brakes on the front (fours for the back soon)
Tein fully adjustable coilovers all around.
TT 6 Speed Differential (US ratio) painted red.
Red plush pile throughout.
Honda S2000 Seats (leather with fabric insert)
Crap exaust (made up of too many parts to be worth mentioning).
Short shifter and a few other basics.

Anyway, the concept was to convert this car to the V12. This was something I decided before I bought the car. I was almost ready to buy a TT when I discovered the SZ-R 96.5+ model. Back then nobody knew the SZ-R 6 speed existed, and I doubt anybody really cared. I was pretty lucky to find it in any case, and after picking it up, knew I made the right choice.
Sadly, it's taken from then until now to actually get my hands on the V12 (1GZ-FE). Which I'm pleased to say, I did, only a month or so ago. It was a bit of a fluke, I was at the stage of giving it all up, and buying a new Evo, for the simplicity of having something to drive around with others in the back.
But I'm hardly sorry, at last I get to build my car to what I wanted.

I don't know exactly how everything will go at this stage... It's all a matter of waiting for it to come and decide from there. The container holding my engine departed last week, so it's about 5 weeks away realistically. I'm pretty patient though, I can wait for a bit, because it'll be chewing my wallet when it finally does arrive (not that I can complain).

As you'll see in the photo below, I'm missing the set of throttle bodies, so I've also purchased myself two sets of GTR ITB's, and will see if they can be mated to the head with injectors, but in any case, we'll see how it goes afterwards.

Without further ado, here is my Supra:

My red B03B diff

My interior (ignore dirty floor mats)

This is my actual engine having arrived at the warehouse in Japan. She's a little dirty, but a little work will clean that up.

·
Actual Member Since 2003
3,203 Posts
v12? what engine is that and is it toyota? If it is toyota what car did it come out of???....

·
Registered
798 Posts
v12....god damn, that gonna be alot of work....keep us updated on the project tho, seems like everyone is going big block now

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It'll fit, the dimensions seem to say they will.
Realistically, I know it'll need a bit of work getting everything to bolt up right, but something tells me, it just 'might' be a little easier then I thought.

The engine is a Toyota engine, the 1GZ-FE. Considered the 'holy grail' of Toyota engines (apparently) but never actually been tested (about to change). This engine may be a complete dud. Nobody knows. It comes from the ultimate luxury car Toyota make, but is only distributed in japan for select customers. The Toyota Century (GZG50) started production in 1997 and is basically sold very slowly. There's a fair number of them, but they're all hand built. The specs are pretty normal for most Toyota's apart from the total cylinders. 5L V12 power plant fairly square bore and stroke (~80mm). Weight seems to be around the 2JZ mark.
Not much information is available otherwise.

·
Kancho Battle Garage
850 Posts
Im glad to see there is someone with the balls to do this swap.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ironically... There's two of us. ^_^

·
Registered
942 Posts
Subscribed,

I love project builds, just wondering what your powergoals are for this car?
Is it going to stay N/A? (A quick google search told me the 1gz-fe has 280 horsepower?)

No matter which path you choose, one thing is for sure, it's going to be sick :D

Luke.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it going to stay N/A?
Probably not. ^_^'
Looking at the power curve of the Dyno, the results were 280hp (206kw limits as in Japan) but with a pretty phenominal 480nm of torque. All this thanks to it's 1.5" exaust tip out the back (yeah, it's pretty small)... So I think it's pretty clear that it's more then capable of giving a little bit of breathing room for a little more power.

I did a quick calculation too a while back using torque levels, and it's closer to 350hp standard.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All engines in Japan are released limitted to 206kw's. ^_^'

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What front lip is that? That look insanely nice!
I have no idea. Got it ages ago, but the guys have since gone onto other things (they shut shop). If you happen to find it, let me know, but honestly, I just don't know.

·
Registered
217 Posts
UAD-134
Front Under Spoiler
Type 2

Retail $ 230

Thats what the front lip is....straight from Bomex's site. I really like the lip too.

·
Banned
469 Posts
damn, thats gonna be sick when its finished!!!

btw, get those hideious(sp) floor mats removed ASAP!!! :)

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Justalilboost said:
the hp has to be higher then that for the 'holy grail' of Toyota engines...
You're misinterpreting the term. It's not meant to mean it's the most powerful, greatest engine from Toyota, that would probably be the 2JZ, from what history has told us so far. By "Holy Grail," he means it's the mysterious, sought-after, legendary engine that nobody really knows about or knows the potential of. He's on a quest here.

Red carpet = no.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts