Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Hardtopper
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research since after trying to start the car today for the first time in a week.

My car has a 100% brand new harness with no shorts and no iffy connections anywhere. Up until last night I had 2 AEM EMS.. the spare was sold last night and I will be shipping it tomorrow. I tried cranking the car today to get the fluids running as its been sitting for a while now and it would not start, mind you it has had zero issues whatsoever since the build.

Normally when I turn the key to ON the fuel primes for a few seconds and normally right after is when I crank the car out of habit, but today I noticed it kept priming non stop. Not a thing has changed on the car since this AEM has been plugged in. Tried connecting to the AEM via laptop, nothing. Took my AEM to Victor @ F&H's shop and he kindly tested my AEM on his personal Supra, same thing.

I took the AEM EMS apart and reseated the eprom.

I am going to try it on the car tomorrow but I am 99% sure it's not going to fix the issue, as the eprom did not seem to be loose.

On another note, this is a brand new AEM being opened for the first time, they have wires soldered in underneath the board...... WTF :eek4dance... possible board design flaw with a cheap fix?

I have NEVER had to use my backup AEM and now that I need it, it's sold :bigthumb:. What are the chances of that?

Anyone know where I can get a replacement eprom? Thanks!!

· G-14 Classified
2,076 Posts
Mac gyver could fix it with X-box parts....i think you can too!

· Supra Poobah
1,764 Posts
Chalk another one up in the FAIL column...

Maybe they should use some of the glue holding down the afterthought wire under the eeprom

· Hardtopper
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I REFUSE to send anything to AEM while I wait, I have learned from my last experience how long they take. This unit literally was installed on 4/9/09 and I have driven the car enough to get it tuned and to a couple of meets, that it. Out of the blue it refuses to start up when it showed no signs of issues prior to that.

My old unit had 0 issues whatsoever... I regret going with their new unit, even more so after seeing their lack of quality. Don't get me wrong, when it works I love it, but this is a pain in the ass and a major inconvenience.

· Hardtopper
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have sent Henry @ AEM an email regarding the issue along with pictures.

Can anyone else confirm these wires on their newer Gen 1 box?

· The "Tactileneck"
1,418 Posts
Kirk I had this exact same problem, I mean exact, constant fuel pump prime, and was unable to connect. Upon further investigation I found that I also had no fuel or no spark. Turned out it was a bad eprom. It's only like 60$ to fix. If it's still under warranty I'm sure Henry will take care of it, good guy to work with.

· MKIV Fanatic
1,018 Posts
I'm sorry my reply is going to sound idiotic, but I just think your car looks really really sweet... I personally have no idea what in the h*ll you're talking about, although I would really like to know someday, after I attain mastery of what is known as the BPU mods on my MKIV. Anyways, good luck finding the source of the problem, and I hope you get it fixed asap, because your ride is just too sweet to be sitting in a garage :D

· Hardtopper
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kirk I had this exact same problem, I mean exact, constant fuel pump prime, and was unable to connect. Upon further investigation I found that I also had no fuel or no spark. Turned out it was a bad eprom. It's only like 60$ to fix. If it's still under warranty I'm sure Henry will take care of it, good guy to work with.
Thanks,

From my research I was fairly certain that it was the eprom. The fix should actually be cheaper. I took the foam off of my eprom so I could read the part number.. it is an ATMEL AT29C256 which you can pretty much get from anywhere for a couple of bucks, the only problem is that it needs the firmware on it in order to function with the AEM I'd imagine.

I have a friend that is going to bring one by today and I will post up the results :rockon:

If this works I am going to keep 2 extras in the car with my map incase this was to happen again... :doh:

· Slo-vertible Drifter
1,714 Posts
You need to be very careful when handling MOSFET electronics. Just touching a component bare handed (without a ground strap) can cause electro-static damage. If it was loose before it might be cooked now. I wouldn't worry too much about the wire on the under side. Sometimes when a schematic is drawn a connection can get boxed in. The cheapest way to fix it is a jumper wire. Usually they are much shorter and eventually route back to a copper trace, but who I'm I to judge.

· Hardtopper
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I didn't touch it with my hands, it was on my carpet the whole time. Actually I rubbed it on my carpet to get some of the foam residue out.

:lol: :lol:

I am well aware of what the jumper wire is and does as I fix electronics myself, but this is not something you expect from a brand new unit.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.