Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Hardtopper
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research since after trying to start the car today for the first time in a week.

My car has a 100% brand new harness with no shorts and no iffy connections anywhere. Up until last night I had 2 AEM EMS.. the spare was sold last night and I will be shipping it tomorrow. I tried cranking the car today to get the fluids running as its been sitting for a while now and it would not start, mind you it has had zero issues whatsoever since the build.

Normally when I turn the key to ON the fuel primes for a few seconds and normally right after is when I crank the car out of habit, but today I noticed it kept priming non stop. Not a thing has changed on the car since this AEM has been plugged in. Tried connecting to the AEM via laptop, nothing. Took my AEM to Victor @ F&H's shop and he kindly tested my AEM on his personal Supra, same thing.

I took the AEM EMS apart and reseated the eprom.

I am going to try it on the car tomorrow but I am 99% sure it's not going to fix the issue, as the eprom did not seem to be loose.

On another note, this is a brand new AEM being opened for the first time, they have wires soldered in underneath the board...... WTF :eek4dance... possible board design flaw with a cheap fix?

I have NEVER had to use my backup AEM and now that I need it, it's sold :bigthumb:. What are the chances of that?

Anyone know where I can get a replacement eprom? Thanks!!

· A Dog who can Computer
2,703 Posts
is this the new Gen2 AEM?

· 97-6speed-TT
1,244 Posts
That's a common thing on Printed Circuit Boards. It's just a jumper wire. The reason for it having that jumper wire, is the trace is broken somewhere. So, the only way for it to make the connection is by that jumper wire. And yes, on AEM's part, I would say that it's a cheap fix especially considering that this is a new model.

Dee E.

· Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Brings back good memories! lol

Hope you get it figured out Kirk.

· Registered
291 Posts
That's a common thing on Printed Circuit Boards. It's just a jumper wire. The reason for it having that jumper wire, is the trace is broken somewhere. So, the only way for it to make the connection is by that jumper wire. And yes, on AEM's part, I would say that it's a cheap fix especially considering that this is a new model.

Dee E.
Actually, that's the old model. The Gen2 doesn't have an eeprom and is a double decker PCB design. If my memory serves me correctly, that jumper wire was added because that PCB trace was having some cross talking so we added a large parallel external wire and redesigned the board for a perm fix. You can see another jumper wire of the normal signal size, the little green wire.

Those jumpers were the main reason the Supra box was first in line for the new Gen2 board. They may have worked fine but every time I saw them they made me want to :barf:

· Registered
291 Posts
Well it doesn't appear to be working FINE.
The board pictured with the jumper is not the board they are having trouble with and the working fine comment was clearly referring to the jumper. Of course they are having a problem, that is the entire point of this thread, but thanks for pointing it out :tongue:

· Hardtopper
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Riddle me this.

I put the eeprom back in and the car started acting normal again and the AEM was connecting as it should. Car would not start... maybe cal was corrupted. Uploaded my cal file and car fired right up and acted normal. Put the cover back on the car... came out the following day and its back to being dead again (fuel pump constantly priming, not able to connect to EMS).

Took the board out and this is what I see.....

I am going to try a UV 27C-256 eprom and see if that fixes the issue, as it seems like the eeprom is the cause of all the issue. It still does not explain the damage on the board....

· 97-6speed-TT
1,244 Posts
Yeah, that sucks man. There also looks to be Flux by R26 and R27 that should have been cleaned off. A q-tip and some acetone should get it off nicely. Or you can use isopropyl alcohol if you want, but it may take longer to clean.

· Hardtopper
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Just got off the phone with Henry from AEM, they are going to inspect it. He says that is weird for such a new board to have that kind of corrosion on it. Hopefully this all works out...

· Hardtopper
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its not weird when they assemble these things in the same facility as they hang meat in.
Considering I own 2 low serial number boxes and this high serial number box, yes, it is weird.

My AEM box 0073 looks brand new without corrosion and has been running perfect for years.

· SupraForums Sponsor
4,456 Posts
Kirk,

Sorry to hear about the problems bro, but I am sure they will get it figured out for you and take care of it. FYI...I am still on my first AEM I bought about 5 or so years ago and still running rock solid! :)

Actually, I was going to post some drivability video of mine sometime soon including cold start, warm start, idling, etc. After this weekend at the Midwest Supra Meet maybe I will post a video of it running down the track too. :)

Let us know what AEM tells you.

· Hardtopper
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I daily drive the piss out of my car with my old AEM. I have videos on my youtube account KirkTR which shows how drivable the car was and has been for years.

I have only had issues with the AEM when I changed over to a new style box. The car has been so reliable that I did not see a reason to keep 2 of them around.. so of course me being the idiot sold the older box. The day right after the car would not start out of the blue.... just my luck. In some way I am happy it happened to me and I did not sell this box to someone else.

So far AEM is taking care of me, we will see the results. Depending how all this pans out I will be purchasing the Gen 2 box.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.