Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story,
I live in cali where it sucks for modding your cars. Well the other day I got pulled over and was told I needed to put the car back to stock. So here is the plan. I have had a pair of turbonetics super 60 laying around for a few years now. They are almost the same size in appearance so I thaught I would bold these to the stock manifold and retain all intake plumbing so it appears to be unmodded by unknowing eyes. Unfortunately the sequential system will no longer work since I have to make a downpipe that joins the two turbos and there will no longer be a flapper like the stock unit. I will leave all vsv's and vacume lines although they will not be working and also remove all butterflys for the seq system. I have always wanted to do this but I am forced to now so I will get off my but and work on it. I have to take my gt42r off, and I cant think of keeping the car without the power.
Each of these turbonetics super 60's flow around 35ppm which is equal to 300-350whp each to my knowlege. So the pair would be around 70ppm or 650-700whp. I guess we will see how the stock manifold flows (with slight porting).
My stockers were on their last leg when I took them off and dont want to put them back on as they will not last that long. At one time I made adapters to bolt them to the stock manifold and they were very impressive.
---Stockers made 365whp and 360ft [email protected] around 5,500rpms
---These made around 385whp and [email protected] and 4,700rpms. (one of the turbos died after 4,800 so I didnt see if the power would of kept going up)
Spool characteristics.. 4th gear pull
Stockers [email protected],00 rpm
Super 60's [email protected],200 rpm
Here is a pic comparing the two..

Wish me luck

Lawrence

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
I hear the state ref looks at everything closely.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
why not just go to a log style manifold and try to put the stock heatshield over your new setup. I just dont know of the stock manifold will yield the numbers you are lookin for.

Alex

·
Bench Racer of the Year
692 Posts
Your California government is fucking stupid. That makes me really really mad and it doesn't even directly effect me in any way. I'm sorry you're being forced to go through all that. If you end up selling the GT42R, it is the turbo I've been planning to buy...

I hope everything works out for the best!

Regards,
Brian

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
briguy453 said:
Your California government is fucking stupid. That makes me really really mad and it doesn't even directly effect me in any way. I'm sorry you're being forced to go through all that. If you end up selling the GT42R, it is the turbo I've been planning to buy...

I hope everything works out for the best!

Regards,
Brian
The manifold and turbo was up for sale this morning, I just got back from an attempt to go to the track for the last time. I didnt get 10miles and got pulled over by a bike cop. He let me go and I just got home. This really sucks, I dont know if they are on the lookout for my car, sure seams so. This project will have to wait as I dont know if I am even going to keep the car. It seams that even if I convert it back to stock I will still have problems with the local police, And I dont even have a speeding ticket on my record. I am going to give it a few months to make up my mind on keeping the car or selling it.

Lawrence

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alx2785 said:
Yeah I agree I thought about moving out there, but i couldn't handle that crap. :( It's insanely stupid and IMO pointless.

Alex
Cali sucks badly, Cost of living is high and the Law's suck. Maybe one day I will move to Texas and hopefully I wouldnt have this problem anymore.

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
get the hell out of the bay area!!!

·
4 T's and an X
2,119 Posts
Sounds like San Diego police. They have been giving other police agencies tips and classes on what to look for with modded cars

·
D u a l s t a r
534 Posts
93 twintrbo said:
I didnt get 10miles and got pulled over by a bike cop. . . It seams that even if I convert it back to stock I will still have problems with the local police, And I dont even have a speeding ticket on my record.
Doesn't the cop need a reason to pull you over?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Mary-Kate Olsen said:
Doesn't the cop need a reason to pull you over?

yeah whatever reason they make up off the top of thier heads when they pull you over, seems to be good enough to fuck over just about any unsuspecting person...
the other day i was cruising in the supra and i saw a cop sititn in a parking lot...2 mins later the cops is flashing his lights and runing stop lights and stop signs just to pull me over and bust my balls about not having a front plate..of course i keep it in the car at all times just for this reason and it wokred again, but it was just the fact at what this cop went through just to get behind me and pull me over to bust me for soemthing so stupid so they can get a miserable 45 bucks outa me...i watched him in my rear view as i got all my stuff ready becasue i knew he was coming after me for SOME reason...i watched him run red lights and cut people off and run a stop sign to catch me in hte middle of the busiest part of town...and btw i wasnt doing anything to catch his attention..i guess he just saw i had no front plate from behind when i was stopped at the light next to the parkin lot he was in...then when he pulled me over he was giving me this attitude from the start and screaming like i was some kind of murderer he had just caught...damn i didnt know that not having a front plate was enough reason for the cop to almost run over a few pedestrians, t bone a few people, and speed like a maniac through the 25 mph zone i was in just to get 45 bucks from me... :rolleyes:

Ant

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IcedSuPrA said:
yeah whatever reason they make up off the top of thier heads when they pull you over, seems to be good enough to fuck over just about any unsuspecting person...
Ant
This seams to be the case in Cali also. They could say that you were speading even if you werent. They could say it looks like you have aftermarket exaust, air filter even if its stock.

Lawrence

·
SC Under Pressure
290 Posts
briguy453 said:
Your California government is fucking stupid. That makes me really really mad and it doesn't even directly effect me in any way. I'm sorry you're being forced to go through all that...
One can make a similar case about those who voted them into office and keep them there. State government created CARB and is prmarily responsible for the laws that the cops go after sports car owners for. These dumb asses are also responsible for the custom blend boutique gas we are required to use here.

Remember that at the ballot box.

Bummer about the fix it tix. What got the cop's attention, how did he get under the hood? Many of us would be in the same boat.

So a CARB ref has to cert your engine now. What are your choices of where to go? Skyline College, where else?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Bummer about the fix it tix. What got the cop's attention, how did he get under the hood? Many of us would be in the same boat.

So a CARB ref has to cert your engine now. What are your choices of where to go? Skyline College, where else?[/QUOTE]

I was speeding (22mph over) even though the cop didnt give me a speeding ticket. The 8-point cage got the cops attention when he peeked through the passenger side window. The ref is at the local Junior College.

Lawrence

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
livermore?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts